Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic or Manual

S

SCO63

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi,
After much consideration it looks like we will be buying a California Ocean rather than a Mercedes Marco Polo. Decision now being second hand or new.

Just a quick question is there any benefit in getting the auto box rather than the manual?

There does seem to be a lot more autos but cannot say I’m bothered one way or other as long as it has cruise control. The dealership certainly reckoned I should go for the auto box. Then again I could save some money on a manual and get that nice two tone.

Decisions, decisions!

I would advise you test drive. I wanted manual for simplicity and cost if problems...., but the auto (DSG) was so much a nicer drive. Then I decided to go new with a 5 year extended warranty so went for the DSG instead and am very happy with it.

The cruise control is fabulous. It makes the miserable driving (e.g. through the endless 50mph average speed zones) on UK motorways much easier.

The DSG has lower emissions and about £500 less for the OTR price.
When I configure a new model the DSG is over a £1000 dearer, how does the £500 saving come about?

It is only a saving on the on the road price. Of course the dog is more expensive but less pollution

If you decide that resale is a factor for you, I suspect you'd find DSG would add some value at that stage.

Next time I will go for DSG/auto, but that's really just because we now have it on both our everyday cars and I've got used to having it. If you're happy driving a manual car, you'll be happy with a manual Cali.

If you decide that resale is a factor for you, I suspect you'd find DSG would add some value at that stage.

Next time I will go for DSG/auto, but that's really just because we now have it on both our everyday cars and I've got used to having it. If you're happy driving a manual car, you'll be happy with a manual Cali.
Thanks, resale not a big issue as intending to keep hopefully for a long time. Just wondering if any issues as suppose was brought up thinking autos could cause all sorts of issues with expensive repairs. Things may have moved on in the almost 40 years I’ve been driving.

We bought our 1st Cali in 2012 which was pre-registered and met our spec except it was DSG rather than manual. However, we went with it. My view great for the Cali makes driving a breeze. We replaced our van with a T6 at the end of 2016 the top must have on this van was DSG. The only thing to take into account is the oil change due at 3 years for our millage (just over £100 if 1recall) I have no issues backing out of my slopping drive or lag at roundabouts some people report.

Last edited:
It is whatever you prefer. I personally enjoy driving and cover more than 30K miles a year. I prefer manual and find it a breeze as the California is so easy to drive. If you like Auto I am sure the DSG will suit you. It is a personal thing.

As above, This decision is purely down to personal taste. Our last se was dsg and never really liked it but it was ok, our big car is auto and hate it(but no really choice in the matter), so with that in mind we bought a manual beach. Very happy going back to manual.

It is whatever you prefer. I personally enjoy driving and cover more than 30K miles a year. I prefer manual and find it a breeze as the California is so easy to drive. If you like Auto I am sure the DSG will suit you. It is a personal thing.
Certainly my current car is an automatic but must admit I’m still a bit old fashioned with regards a manual gear box. Think a drive in both may be required.

As has been said, book some test drives.

I've always driven manuals, but have really fallen in love with the DSG.

Yes there are some niggles but overall it is the best for the van and me.

Plus with the DSG you can still opt to go manual by pushing the gear knob to the right and using the up/down shift mechanism.

I bet there are many DSG owner drivers who have never tried this feature.

I find it a god send in mud and snow conditions, plus the odd 'let's have some fun' driving moment.

The cruise control really comes into it's own with a DSG box. If you have the ACC it can slow you down in traffic on motorways, etc and you don't need to keep re-engaging it.
Saves on fuel too and makes the 50 limits almost enjoyable as you don't have to keep braking & accelerating all the time.

Hi,
After much consideration it looks like we will be buying a California Ocean rather than a Mercedes Marco Polo. Decision now being second hand or new.

Just a quick question is there any benefit in getting the auto box rather than the manual?

There does seem to be a lot more autos but cannot say I’m bothered one way or other as long as it has cruise control. The dealership certainly reckoned I should go for the auto box. Then again I could save some money on a manual and get that nice two tone.

Decisions, decisions!
I have just got a new dsg. Lovely easy comfortable drive

DSG coupled with Adaptive Cruise control is a dream to drive.
Had ACC on my previous car but rarely used it as I was still having to change gear as the speed altered. Now I’m doing endless miles without using my feet at all making for a far more relaxed journey.
DSG every time for me now

DSG coupled with Adaptive Cruise control is a dream to drive.
Had ACC on my previous car but rarely used it as I was still having to change gear as the speed altered. Now I’m doing endless miles without using my feet at all making for a far more relaxed journey.
DSG every time for me now
I bought a 204 DSG in February. The automatic box is brilliant. It also helps my wife to drive post mastectomy. She loves it. Creeping in traffic is no longer a chore. I have ACC on my Skoda and it is fabulous

I have driven manuals nearly all my driving life but before owning the Cali I had an Evoque.
The 1st of 2 was a manual but when it went in for some body repair after someone hit it in a car park The loan vehicle was an Auto Evoque. Much more GRAND and relaxing. So the next Evoque was an auto Then we hired a Cali which was auto and that was great. I then test drove some used ones and most were manual......
I really knew following those experiences that I couldn't go back to manual at least in a Cali.
But I must say no matter what anybody says its your expectation of the drive that matters when choosing so you need to try both.

Time was when we didn’t have electric windows, power steering, air conditioning and central locking etc.
DSG another development which will be standard in time.
Do test drive and I think the advantages will become apparent.
No going back for me..

Manual will eventually cost you a new clutch. Inevitably.
Auto will cost you servicing oil change every 60 000 km. (40 000 miles?)
I drive manual, and sometimes an automatic gearbox would be a real pleasure, but cruise control should be standard in this type of car. It is for travelling for crying out loud. This means driving for a long time, and even if you are not driving highways, driving on all the other roads with speed limits, you don't have to worry about the speed. Just set it to the max speed, and let the electronics do the work. You don't want to know how many times I am trying to pass a car that previously passed me at higher speed. When I am going to pass them, they suddenly wake up and make sure you don't get to pass them, making you look silly.

Hi,

Decisions, decisions!
We’re going to sell in a month or two, and it’s new and second hand, if you see what I mean (1800 miles) and dsg.
You’re welcome to come and give it a try if ya like

Andy

We’re going to sell in a month or two, and it’s new and second hand, if you see what I mean (1800 miles) and dsg.
You’re welcome to come and give it a try if ya like

Andy
Would depend on spec and price but let me know when you are selling. Probably be later in June when we would be looking at buying if going down the used route. Got my current car up for sale just now.

Back