Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Autowatch ghost on a 6.1

Thank you. Definitely retrograde as far as a Campervan is concerned. Another reason to keep mine going.:thumb
Unfortunately Media head units are not designed for Campervans, they are designed for the mass built executive car, we will get the hand me downs.

Last edited:
Regarding pushing the buttons for the code, do the button presses all have to be different buttons or could I use two buttons, say 3 consecutive presses and then another button with a single press... 4 is the minimum I read
Lol am I making any sense...

Just bumping this thread back up to the top as I would like to get one installed on our 6.1.

Anyone had one installed on a 6.1? All good?

I am in south Hertfordshire. Checked Hazzy Dayz website but they are quoting £425 PLUS VAT which seems a bit steep - I thought £400-450 was the going rate. Any other installer recommendations for this area please? Thanks in advance.
Try Road Radio you can travel to Crawley or Redhill, not sure about their mobile coming your way great service.

Regarding pushing the buttons for the code, do the button presses all have to be different buttons or could I use two buttons, say 3 consecutive presses and then another button with a single press... 4 is the minimum I read
Lol am I making any sense...
Correct. Any button.
Could have 1 button 4 times.
or change it to another set of buttons, so those buttons do not get worn look.
or 10 different buttons.
I tend to think of the buttons as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc, then work in something that fits that.
date of birth. Phone number.
waist and leg. Etc etc.
then write down in your phones notes.
year 2021 - code is waist and leg.
year 2020 - wife’s mobile end 6 numbers etc.
And there is a “service” function.
so the mechanics can drive around up to 30mph.
But once over 30mph, and they stop, and switch off ignition. They will not be able to start it again.
But if they drive to a fast food chain at 30mph.
switched off. Got food. Got back in Buzz, they can drive back to the dealer.

Is this a potential solution?
Post in thread 'Changing entertainment system to leisure battery'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...t-system-to-leisure-battery.18545/post-212606
Only for aftermarket systems. The supplied system is apparently coded to the vehicle to the Body Control Module and its this that controls;s the power so you can't flatten the starter battery. On my unit pressing the Volume button fires up everything for 20+ minutes. You can repeat the process, but not too often.

My point was that most new cars now operate the same as the 6.1 ie needing the ignition on to keep the radio on after a couple of minutes. My Maserati Levante is exactly the same as my Cali Coast 6.1 in this respect as were my AMG GLC & E Class Merc's before them. It's an industry standard as opposed to a retrograde step for the Cali. You may wish to say this is a retrograde for the car industry if you like but it isn't exclusive to the Cali.
On my T6.1 the radio will work with the ignition off. It will only stay on for about 20mins but it works.....

On my T6.1 the radio will work with the ignition off. It will only stay on for about 20mins but it works.....
So they haven't changed that function. Thank you.

So they haven't changed that function. Thank you.

Makes perfect sense, no-one wants to have the radio on all night, only to not be able to start the engine in the morning. But what if your starter battery is being topped up by solar (or you powered the radio off the leisure battery and you were on hook up)?
Would be great if it could detect that the battery wasn't going to flatten and let you keep your tunes on. Just seems like a missed opportunity when you've got an 8 speaker stereo that sounds great on board, and everyone takes a bluetooth speaker with them...

Finally got the Ghost 2 fitted this morning. Very helpful and professional install by Tony at Elite Fleet Installations (Cheshunt, Herts). :thumb

Never had any after market security fitted before. But 18 months ago I saw, via our security cameras, 2 scumbags sit on our front wall, ping a neighbour's Audi A1 with some relay device, walk over, drive off. All done in under a minute. Scary easy.

Finally got the Ghost 2 fitted this morning. Very helpful and professional install by Tony at Elite Fleet Installations (Cheshunt, Herts). :thumb

Never had any after market security fitted before. But 18 months ago I saw, via our security cameras, 2 scumbags sit on our front wall, ping a neighbour's Audi A1 with some relay device, walk over, drive off. All done in under a minute. Scary easy.

Can i ask what buttons you have available with your install? (all steeting wheel? All dash buttons, heated seats, etc?).

Can understand too if yu don't want to say.

Thanks
Andrew

Can i ask what buttons you have available with your install? (all steeting wheel? All dash buttons, heated seats, etc?).

Can understand too if yu don't want to say.

Thanks
Andrew
The buttons available are manufacturer and model specific, but I don't feel a need to share what is available on a 6.1. Given that you can programme 4 to 20 button pushes someone would need to strike lucky! :thumb

When we were in France a couple of weeks ago, Mrs Subthree inputted the incorrect code twice and the VW system also cut in. We had another 800km to drive that day with the kids!

Anyway, I messaged the installer and he instantly guided me through how to clear it. So if you are looking for a Ghost installer in Herts or Essex give Tony a call. Top guy who provides support even many, many months after he had installed it.

I have the Autowatch Ghost 2 installed by Lee at JATE Automotive. Registered installer.
Fantastic service.
I messed up one Saturday night and it wouldn’t start.
He was going to come out and investigate on a Saturday night at 9 pm !
Absolute legend !
Can you tell me does this invalidate your warranty?

Can you tell me does this invalidate your warranty?
Warranty is considered on a case by case basis and only directly effected systems, not the whole warranty.
changing tyre sizes for example doesn’t effect the whole vehicle warranty but could affect a claim on drive shafts if VW proved that what you changed caused the fault.

I have had a ghost since they came out and have had warranty work carried out without issue.

Warranty is considered on a case by case basis and only directly effected systems, not the whole warranty.
changing tyre sizes for example doesn’t effect the whole vehicle warranty but could affect a claim on drive shafts if VW proved that what you changed caused the fault.

I have had a ghost since they came out and have had warranty work carried out without issue.
Ok thanks for the info. Just worried that if I had an electric issue they would blame the Ghost installed.

Ok thanks for the info. Just worried that if I had an electric issue they would blame the Ghost installed.
Well yes, a possibility, but if you suspected the Ghost, you would call on your ghost installer to take a look under his warranty to you as the fitter.
There is the possibility of a problem with anything, but having your van stolen would rank pretty high on my list.
So the peace of mind it gives me outweighs the worries of a possible warranty issue.

Well yes, a possibility, but if you suspected the Ghost, you would call on your ghost installer to take a look under his warranty to you as the fitter.
There is the possibility of a problem with anything, but having your van stolen would rank pretty high on my list.
So the peace of mind it gives me outweighs the worries of a possible warranty issue.
Yes I agree with you, of all the anti theft options available l feel Ghost 2 is possibly the best option.