Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux Heater 6.compressor sound, air being forced

M

marek

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi, the heater is incredibly noisy in any setting 1.to 10. is this normal? Trying to send audio file but the only ones I can send are.zip, .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif, .rar, .gpx, .itn, .kml, so no luck thank you marek

My experience is that after powering the heater on, the fan speed builds over a period of 2 to 3 minutes as ignition and stable burning of diesel is established.
Initially, you should also hear a muffled “popping” noise as the diesel burn is being established.
Once burning properly, the heater fan goes full on and is very noticeable in the vehicle.
As the desired temperature is attained in the van (1 to 10 setting) the heater “throttles back” the fan speed to a level that is barely audible and ticks over until heat is called for again by the control unit thermostat setting.
On setting 1 this is fairly infrequent unless outside temp very low.
On 10 even a quick open of the side door will trigger the heater to kick in and the fan roars up to full speed to blast hot air around the van.
We find that setting 2 or 3 at night is quite unobtrusive when the heater kicks in downstairs to maintain temperature and often does not need to use full fan speed before reaching the desired temp.

thank you so much for your thorough reply, appreciated

Regarding you post and noise, I noted that you have a T6.1 Ocean. I think that the heaters on these have different operating modes and if you search T6.1 heater operation problem posts you will see that the heat immediately mode simply blasts the van with the heater running at full power and hence most noise until the temp set is attained and then shuts off.

The T6 has only the mode I described with heat output and fan speed modulated be the temperature (1 to 10) set at the control panel and the temperature of the van interior.

I am wondering if you are only using/experiencing the heat immediately mode and not the heat continuously mode, as described in the thread below, giving rise to your concern about heater noise, as running at full power the fan is quite loud and concern about sleeping with this level of noise would be quite natural.

Thread 'Auxilary heater question - settings v levels (T6.1
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/auxilary-heater-question-settings-v-levels-t6-1.37657/

Last edited:
Hi, the heater is incredibly noisy in any setting 1.to 10. is this normal? Trying to send audio file but the only ones I can send are.zip, .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif, .rar, .gpx, .itn, .kml, so no luck thank you marek

Our T6.1 heater isn't silent but certainly isn't loud. On heat continuous level 4 the other night it was quiet enough that I couldn't hear it when in the pop top bed.

Much, much quieter than the T5.1 heater we had previously.

the dealers took apart the AUX heater unit and found debris that was causing the unit to make that noise. they found a production tag that was getting in the way of the blower in the unit, which was removed and now the unit is working
thank you all for your support, marek

Back