Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux heater fault - diagnostic 2101 any ideas?

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Arghh. Was working fine when tested at purchase but since then something has gone wrong. I was sorting a cosmetic issue on the CP that meant I inadvertently pressed the on/off multiple times in a row.

I then got the flashing heater symbol - diagnostics shows 2101 which according to...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/error-codes-for-the-vv-cali.38/

...means' fuse output heating on/off'

Anyone know exactly what this means? I presumed fuse gone but checking under seat all the higher fuses (they do not correspond to @Loz 's pic/diagram so not sure exactly which is the heater fuse?!) 25 above seemed OK.

I then cleared it (this was a couple of days ago) and the heater would then start but only blow cold for a few mins and then turn off - this was in the day with our recent 30 deg heat - is the heater thermostatically controlled and therefore was just not needed?

However, here's the odd bit - just went back again today (few days later) as much cooler this morning and pressing the button showed the same flashing symbol.

I switched the CP off (did not reset or clear error) and when I turned it back on and pressed heater - no flashing and it started up. Clicking pump etc and it drew between 8 - 11 or so for the first few mins and then started to produce hot air and after 5 mins or so settled to a steady 3.6 amp draw.

I've left it running and will see how if it stays on but was blowing nice and hot.

Also, does keeping the side door open turn the heater off??

Last edited:
Been running 15 mins now and roasting hot...

[update] and 25 mins - drawing 2 amps.

[update] and 35 mins - drawing 1.2 amps.

[update] And now turned down to level 5...

[update] went back (now 25 mins after turning to 5) and heater symbol was on but not running/blowing, turned back up to 10 and it started up again.

Is this all normal?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sad
Been running 15 mins now and roasting hot...

[update] and 25 mins - drawing 2 amps.

[update] and 35 mins - drawing 1.2 amps.

[update] And now turned down to level 5...

[update] went back (now 25 mins after turning to 5) and heater symbol was on but not running/blowing, turned back up to 10 and it started up again.

Is this all normal?
Yes. The air intake by drivers step has the temp sensor. Once to temperature the heater backs off or shuts down and restarts if temp drops.

And final update - after 15 mins more still pumping out on max fine.

So, I ran it for about 75 mins total and seemed to work OK.

But why the intermittent error (2101)?

And during the really hot weather even set to max it blew cold for five mins or so then turned off before doing anything else - because the ambient temp was so hot?

But why the intermittent error (2101)?
Don't worry too much. The CU is just only a bloody computer after all: turn it off and on and most errors are gone. Ever used a Windows PC?

You switched the CU off and on, and then everything seemed to work well. Such things happen every so often: you pushed a button multiple times in a row, and the software didn't know what to make of that, so it generated an error code. Not necessarily a useful one.

That's true but after last reset it came back a few days later (ie today).

And I spoke too soon - just went back to van 15 mins after turning heater off and all running OK as listed in posts above....to find flashing symbol again and same 2101 error in diagnostics. :confused:

Anyone got any ideas?

Search forum or Google I'm sure it has been discussed before.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I may try a full reset and disconnect the complete leisure battery power side - rear battery is easy but what's the easiest way to cut all power from the front battery?

They always run cold prior to shut down.
Cools the unit and reduces heat soak.

Understood - just like to know what 2101 actually refers to and why it comes back even though (as per this morning) the heater seemed to work fine for over an hour.

I may try a full reset and disconnect the complete leisure battery power side - rear battery is easy but what's the easiest way to cut all power from the front battery?

Anyone else got any ideas on the random 2101 code or can help with the above disconnection?

I don't know if this might be of any help https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/aux-heater-failed.13802/ My heater failed and it was apparently due to disconnecting it from the battery whilst I fixed something else. I can't remember what the fault code was, but there were 3 or 4 wavy orange lines on the control panel which mean "auxiliary heater malfunction ".

Anyone else got any ideas on the random 2101 code or can help with the above disconnection?
According to this diagram, if you Disconnect ALL the leads on the -tve terminal of the rear Leisure Battery then both are disconnected from the Leisure Circuit.
62F52A1D-4F71-47E6-8079-90B1AFE3571A.png

Nice spot WG, I'll try tomorrow and check back.

According to this diagram, if you Disconnect ALL the leads on the -tve terminal of the rear Leisure Battery then both are disconnected from the Leisure Circuit.

@WelshGas - I can confirm you are spot on. Removing the piddly little earth from the rear battery cuts all leisure circuit power - handy to know. :thumb

IMG_4371.JPG