Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aux Heater wiring

OllieCollieCali

OllieCollieCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi All,
I recently purchased my 2006 California, and was told it has the 2 aux diesel heaters, although the control unit says " Auxiliary Heater Not Connected" when you press the heater control.
After some investigation, I definitely have both heaters under the van, the coolant heater is working fine, and the parking heater exhaust all looks brand new so probably never been used.
Without taking the panels off to reveal the heater under the van, I have seen the wires from the unit come through a rubber grommet in the floor under the drivers seat. I have 3 x connectors under the seat that don't seem to go anywhere, and I believe the 2 larger connectors in the picture below are to do with the heater unit. They come up through the rubber grommet in the floor, and have a wire going to a grounding bolt. The smaller connection comes from another wiring loom, but no idea what it does.
Tonight I took out the control unit by the rear view mirror, to see if it was missing a connector but it has all 3 connectors plugged in, and assume one of these is the heater?

So my question is... Does anyone know where the wiring from the parking heater goes? Which of the connectors on the back of the control unit is for the heater? Hopefully I can trace that wire back a bit if I know if its the heater. Its unlikely the heater was fitted without the wiring, but not sure where to look to find the wires and hopefully connect it back up. Does everyone else have these 2 larger connectors under the seat for heaters?

Pretty sure its the webasto Airtop 3500 heater.

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_20211123_154120.jpg

IMG_20211123_154134.jpg

IMG_20211123_170159.jpg

Hi All,
I recently purchased my 2006 California, and was told it has the 2 aux diesel heaters, although the control unit says " Auxiliary Heater Not Connected" when you press the heater control.
After some investigation, I definitely have both heaters under the van, the coolant heater is working fine, and the parking heater exhaust all looks brand new so probably never been used.
Without taking the panels off to reveal the heater under the van, I have seen the wires from the unit come through a rubber grommet in the floor under the drivers seat. I have 3 x connectors under the seat that don't seem to go anywhere, and I believe the 2 larger connectors in the picture below are to do with the heater unit. They come up through the rubber grommet in the floor, and have a wire going to a grounding bolt. The smaller connection comes from another wiring loom, but no idea what it does.
Tonight I took out the control unit by the rear view mirror, to see if it was missing a connector but it has all 3 connectors plugged in, and assume one of these is the heater?

So my question is... Does anyone know where the wiring from the parking heater goes? Which of the connectors on the back of the control unit is for the heater? Hopefully I can trace that wire back a bit if I know if its the heater. Its unlikely the heater was fitted without the wiring, but not sure where to look to find the wires and hopefully connect it back up. Does everyone else have these 2 larger connectors under the seat for heaters?

Pretty sure its the webasto Airtop 3500 heater.

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 86930

View attachment 86931

View attachment 86932
Have you checked the special menu on the Control Panel for Diagnostic Codes.
I very much doubt if the Parking Heater is not properly connected and if it had a temporary glitch in the past, such as flat leisure batteries or low fuel levels maybe disabled until the Diagnostic codes have been cleared.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

HI Welshgas,
Thankyou, yes my error codes showing at the moment are 5001, 6000 and 4000, i think the water level wires are back to front causing 2 of the errors.

Sorry I should have said that my van wasnt an original California, it was a people carrier in its former life, but then had a full professional Ocean Conversion by some previous owners, But as you say would be unlikely not to be connected properly if they took the effort to fit the heater.
I will check under the passenger seat tommorow to see if any cables might link up.

I then need work out how to rectify fault code 6000 at some point later.

Thanks again!
Graeme

Hi. Adding to your question.
I have 2005 Cali SE and I have the same output from the control unit “aux heater not connected”. The former owner replaced the CU.
I have always believed that a starter aux heater was optional but the “turbine” sound from the engine room when it’s turned off is the typical sound from a diesel heater ramping down. Is it possible I do have a Webasto or Eberspächer diesel heater connected to the engine? All I have to do is to connect it to the engine again?

Hi. Adding to your question.
I have 2005 Cali SE and I have the same output from the control unit “aux heater not connected”. The former owner replaced the CU.
I have always believed that a starter aux heater was optional but the “turbine” sound from the engine room when it’s turned off is the typical sound from a diesel heater ramping down. Is it possible I do have a Webasto or Eberspächer diesel heater connected to the engine? All I have to do is to connect it to the engine again?
Their should be a sticker on the B pillar Drivers door that details which Diesel Heaters were fitted at the factory.
Webasto is a completely automatic diesel heater that only works at a temperature of 5c or less to speed up warming of the engine. It switches off when engine temperature gets to 75c or so. It is not connected to the Control Panel.
Eberspacher is the diesel powered Parking Heater controlled by the Control Panel only.

I have a sticker ( look at the attached picture) but it’s on the drivers door side. So what you are saying is that this can’t be used as a parking heater and connected to the CU? The one connected to the CU would be a separate one also installed in the engine room?
I have Webasto 2000 installed under the passenger seat but that one has it’s own control placed over the cabin seats.

F2788461-C038-4BBF-A893-601500C3521E.jpeg

I have a sticker ( look at the attached picture) but it’s on the drivers door side. So what you are saying is that this can’t be used as a parking heater and connected to the CU? The one connected to the CU would be a separate one also installed in the engine room?
I have Webasto 2000 installed under the passenger seat but that one has it’s own control placed over the cabin seats.

View attachment 87561
That is the Automatic engine heater. It cannot be connected to the CU. You can get a kit from a Polish supplier, I believe, that enables you to use a Remote Control wireless fob to switch that heater on remotely BUT it requires electronically flashing the Webasto software to a non-VW version to work and you are limited in how long you can run the engine heater , without running the engine, as it uses the engine battery and can easily flatten it if run for more than an hour.

Water heater is under the floor below the left front seat, the blown air heater is in a similar location on the right side. Both exhausts from each heater point out from the respective locations towards the centre of the vehicle.

The water heater has no controls, it automatically activates when the ambient temperature is below 5? degrees C and the engine is cold. It is intended to accelerate the heating up of the engine. There are aftermarket ways of using this heater to provide heat for the cab but it is normally powered by the engine battery so its electric consumption should be considered when the engine is not running.

The blown air heater is provided to heat the cab via vents in the base of the right B pillar whilst taking its heating air into the heat exchanger from a vent in the right front door step. The air heaters have normally been of Webasto manufacture in later years of VW Transporter but VW have also used Eberspacher heaters in Transporters. The air heater has been controlled in various ways depending on the vehicle that it is fitted in. Timers, thermostats and wireless remote controls have been options and in almost all instances they have been powered by an additional 12v battery located below the left front seat. This battery is charged via a simple split charge relay which parallels it with the engine battery when the engine is running.

All of the heater fitment, wiring and control is detailed in the dealer level manuals that I linked to above.

That is the Automatic engine heater. It cannot be connected to the CU. You can get a kit from a Polish supplier, I believe, that enables you to use a Remote Control wireless fob to switch that heater on remotely BUT it requires electronically flashing the Webasto software to a non-VW version to work and you are limited in how long you can run the engine heater , without running the engine, as it uses the engine battery and can easily flatten it if run for more than an hour.
Thanks. Then I know more now. The battery issue is normal for all engine heater installations. The Eberspächer in my Subaru should not be run for more than half n hour.

Water heater is under the floor below the left front seat, the blown air heater is in a similar location on the right side. Both exhausts from each heater point out from the respective locations towards the centre of the vehicle.

The water heater has no controls, it automatically activates when the ambient temperature is below 5? degrees C and the engine is cold. It is intended to accelerate the heating up of the engine. There are aftermarket ways of using this heater to provide heat for the cab but it is normally powered by the engine battery so its electric consumption should be considered when the engine is not running.

The blown air heater is provided to heat the cab via vents in the base of the right B pillar whilst taking its heating air into the heat exchanger from a vent in the right front door step. The air heaters have normally been of Webasto manufacture in later years of VW Transporter but VW have also used Eberspacher heaters in Transporters. The air heater has been controlled in various ways depending on the vehicle that it is fitted in. Timers, thermostats and wireless remote controls have been options and in almost all instances they have been powered by an additional 12v battery located below the left front seat. This battery is charged via a simple split charge relay which parallels it with the engine battery when the engine is running.

All of the heater fitment, wiring and control is detailed in the dealer level manuals that I linked to above.
Thank you. I recognise your description of when the heater seem to be activated.

The Webasto cabin heater on the other hand blows hot air under the right hand seat in my Cali and it is connected to the leisure battery under the left hand seat (my drivers seat).