Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

auxiliary belt issues

blackberrypaul

blackberrypaul

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
hi everyone, we've just bought a 2014 cali with 5000 miles on it and within 3 days we got a burning smell from the engine so it got recovered to vw Sheffield and was diagnosed with a faulty belt tensioner so it was replaced along with a new belt. We've now traveled to spain and the belt has snapped and we are cali less on our madon voyage(nightmare). any suggestions or similar experiences with this problem.thanks

The auxiliary belt failing so soon after replacement indicates the following
1. Faulty Belt - rare
2. Incorrectly fitted - possible but unlikely
3. Fault with pulley bearings or tensioners - more likely as you have had one tensioner fail already then this might have put strain on the other pulleys/tensioners of the Alternator/Air Con compressor etc:

All these items should be checked and if OK new belt fitted. I presume you have Holiday Breakdown cover for your vehicle? Get it sorted and then take it up with VW Sheffield on your return as it would seem they may not have done ALL the checks when fitting the new belt and tensioner. Also, I believe genuine VW parts fitted by a VW Dealer have a 2 year warranty.

Make the call and then enjoy the rest of your holiday.:thumb, because that's life.

hi welshgas. it was recovered through vw breakdown as its still under warranty and its gone to a vw garage in france where we've got a hire vehicle. now awaiting a phone call when it's fixed? sleeping in a pop up tent isn't fun when you've just spent 50k on a cali. thanks welsh gas

Keep smiling. These things happen but will soon be fixed.

Hi Blackberrypaul,

I too have a 2014 Cali and experienced repeated auxiliary belt issues. It would be good to compare notes. I note your contact details are private so please call me on 07798 931475 or email me on mikeringrose@live.co.uk.

Kind regads
Mike

Hi All,
Did you all know there is now a recall on vans around 2015, to have the alternator belt replaced with a new shorter one?
I heard about it on Facebook, and checked my van with VW Vans, and they confirmed it was the case.
It is almost a year till my next service, so glad I will get it sorted before something goes wrong

Yes mine is booked in for a new belt under recall too - you need to phone the dealer to check if your van is affected as they don't contact you.

Hi, VW have known about this issue for years but did nothing until last month when they announced a recall. My Cali went in the Northampton dealer for a minor repair to the heater and they replaced by belt and tensioner FOC.

My understanding is that the Tensioner is the subject of the recall, but the belt is replaced during the process.

As I understand it the recall is for the cambelt tensioner, not the auxiliary belt which drives the power steering pump and alternator.
Our auxiliary belt failed here in France earlier this year and was replaced by the dealer in Pau who dragged the repair out over six days despite knowing what the problem was. Have to say Assist were very helpful and rebooked a ferry at their expense.
Re sleeping in the tent if you are talking about VW Assist we were offered a hotel and hire car for the duration of the repair so you need to chase them up on that.
There does appear to be an ongoing problem with auxiliary belt/tensioners as a few on here have had the problem.
Hope you get it sorted quickly and make sure they check that no other damage was caused by the belt breaking.

I did specifically ask which belt and they said auxiliary.

Mine is having the aux belt recall done this week . Was told it's alternator belt .

Great, more dealer confusion then. Definitely told me the cambelt tensioner.

Mine was the auxiliary belt and tensioner done in about 1 hour.

Back