Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary diesel heating not working.

V

Vanos

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Any advice what I can check, went to use the diesel heater to warm up the van this weekend and although everything seemed normal the control panel was set for 10 minutes heat setting was in the middle and we had 3/4 full tank nothing much happened.
I have a t5 2012 cali.

Any advice what I can check, went to use the diesel heater to warm up the van this weekend and although everything seemed normal the control panel was set for 10 minutes heat setting was in the middle and we had 3/4 full tank nothing much happened.
I have a t5 2012 cali.
What voltage is seen on the Control Panel?
Without using the timer, set to highest level, does it start?
If not, repeat with lights on over the kitchen. Do the lights flicker?
Now plug the vehicle into the Mains.
Voltage seen on Control Panel?
Does the heater start while plugged into the Mains?

Are you trying to activate via a remote or the control panel?

Whichever, try the other method.

When you say nothing much happened, does this mean that something did occur?

We have a beach model with no kitchen and we don't have at the moment electric hook up. In the past when using the heater we would simply press the control panel or use the key, we kept the same setting as it works for us. The control panel does not show voltage. I would normally hear the fan noise and then a few seconds later feel the heat.
I hope it will just be a fuse gone somewhere.

We have a beach model with no kitchen and we don't have at the moment electric hook up. In the past when using the heater we would simply press the control panel or use the key, we kept the same setting as it works for us. The control panel does not show voltage. I would normally hear the fan noise and then a few seconds later feel the heat.
I hope it will just be a fuse gone somewhere.
Is it the original leisure battery? If so, it is now 8 yrs old, and if you haven't been able to charge it up on Mains hook up then it is probably past its best and the colder weather would only make matters worse. If you measure the voltage it is probably 11.5v or less and the Parking Heater will not start at that level.
Get a cheap 12v plug in voltmeter that will plug into one of the 12v sockets in the camping area to measure the voltage.

try it with the engine running , they are voltage sensitive as said above. make sure no timers are set ( i seem to vaguely remember the beach control panel ). set it to level 10 or full heat. also do check your leisure voltage

Is it the original leisure battery? If so, it is now 8 yrs old, and if you haven't been able to charge it up on Mains hook up then it is probably past its best and the colder weather would only make matters worse. If you measure the voltage it is probably 11.5v or less and the Parking Heater will not start at that level.
Get a cheap 12v plug in voltmeter that will plug into one of the 12v sockets in the camping area to measure the voltage.
Does the leisure battery not charge itself when the van is running.

Does the leisure battery not charge itself when the van is running.
Yes, but not fully and not in the same way a mains charger will to prolong life. Even VW suggest Leisure Batteries are charged for a minimum 12 hrs every month to prolong life. Your battery will run lights and 12v sockets but be unable to cope with the high power requirements of starting the Parking Heater if not in good condition and if 8 yrs old and just charged by driving its probably due for retirement.

Thanks for the reply, just tried it with the engine running it made a ticking sound from above the fuel tank, it also sounded like it was trying to ignite. air felt like it was coming out of the vents, but then this stopped or I just imagined it was.

you need to get charger on that leisure battery. also if the heater hasn't run for a while it may take some firing as fuel ay have run back down the pipe to the tank. the ticking noise is a good sign. that's the dosing pump which means the heater is calling for fuel. try it again

Looking now to get a tester, and where and how much for a new battery, it does seem to be the battery, I'll update the thread when I get a tester..

the heater needs a good voltage to light up the glow pin. any smoke with the fan running ?

sounds like the fuel isn't there yet or the glow pins not lit.

Looking now to get a tester, and where and how much for a new battery, it does seem to be the battery, I'll update the thread when I get a tester..
This is the direct replacement. As long as the dimensions are the same other makes will fit.

Back