Auxiliary Driving Lights.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Has anyone fitted any Auxiliary Driving Lights. In North Sweden many vehicles had 2 x 7" additional lights fitted. Anyone done the same and any recommendations?

Have a 42 LED ramp, the pros are that it provides plenty of extra light and is quite small.
Cons are:
  • Almost too bright, signs have a tendency to shine your eyes.
  • Good in the distance, but seems to also have the ambition to brighten everything from treetops to the ground infront of the van (Can be a good thing to keepi track of tree climbing elks).
  • Disturbs FM-radio reception, possibly due to sloppy installation.
I'd go for conventional round halogen lights, as you said. Hella and Bosh are to brands that seem popular among Swedes in the dark part of the year.

Unfortunately the LED light bars are not road legal in the UK.
I'll have to keep looking. Wanted them for normal road use rather than off-road.

Old school. A couple of Cibie Super Oscars with 100w bulbs.

:eek: Supers are just greedy. I've got a couple of standard Oscars but the problem seems to be finding brackets for the T5.
I can make some OK if I can find somewhere for bolt them to. Had the grille off and there doesm't look to be anything easy to get at that's strong enough.

Abnomymous, are there suppliers for these in Scandanavia? Like Welsh Gas saw plenty in Norway last year.

Abnomymous, are there suppliers for these in Scandanavia? Like Welsh Gas saw plenty in Norway last year.

Do you mean the brackets or extra head lights?
If head lights then YES, oh boy yes. After market head lights are big business, since the depressing darkness is overwhelming in winter time.
It's also a popular way for "bilburen ungdom" (adolescent car enthusiasts) to establish dominance amongst rivals.
alrin5.jpg
Picture taken from a Swedish forum.:rolleyes:

If you refer to the brackets; a quick swedish googleing indicates there are brackets to be found, but bars seems a more common way of mounting them.
extraljusfaste-i-aluminium-for-3-extraljus-till-volkswagen-transporter-t5-2010-.jpg
for instance this quite neat one.

EDIT: When reading one more time it's clear that you're after brackets. Sorry.
Maybe make a sturdy piece of metal and mount them through the number plate holder bolts?

Last edited:
While talking about serious Arctic mods, is there a plug in sump block heater element available for the T5. If they are in North Scandinavia then the give away is what looks like a shaver plug hanging out of the front radiator grill?

As i was cycling through town i glanced a t5 with auxiliary head lights. Came to think of your query and asked the guy sitting in it if it'd be ok to take a couple of pictures. Received a perplexed "why" and after explaining my purpose two thumbs up.
Here you go:WP_20150922_13_20_14_Pro.jpg

And a close up of the mounting brackets
WP_20150922_13_20_22_Pro.jpg

Hope this gives some inspiration.

Thank you for taking the trouble. Much appreciated.
The problem in the UK is that Auxiliary Lights fitted below 24" height from the road can ONLY be used in conditions of Fog or Falling Snow. ( How do I know - I got done in Exeter back in 1971/2 - during the time of the 3 day week and power blackouts - for using such lights when the lights went out in Exeter ).
I was thinking of fitting something a little higher - in line with the headlights.

Ah, what a conundrum. I guess a, rather radical, solution would be to use the roof rail bars and mount some epic bad-assery of a ramp. :cool:

On a more serious note it seems people manage to fit them to the bumpers. Guess the support brackets only fasten to the horizontal ribs in the grill, which should be fine since they are mainly for keeping the lights from wobbling.
Found this: volkswagen-t5-1142544_10356172.jpg
It's a big step to drill in a Cali though...

...So my advice is to install a portal raise kit and some insane tires, like the Seikel T5 extreme, and use the number plate method.
Problem solved! :D

Last edited:
At the moment I'm looking for an oblong type light, like a small light bar, with a rear fitting bolt that would be larger than the gap between the horizontal slats on the front, level with the headlights, that I could bolt into a vertical aluminium bar behind the same slats. That should hold it firm, but there would have to be some adjustment up/down to adjust correctly. This way there would be no drilling. Just have to keep looking.

Wiring would use a relay with fused input from the battery. The relay would be switched using a switched feed from the side/parking light.

Wiring would use a relay with fused input from the battery. The relay would be switched using a switched feed from the side/parking light.

You mean "main beam" then they go off when you dip?

Thank you for taking the trouble. Much appreciated.
The problem in the UK is that Auxiliary Lights fitted below 24" height from the road can ONLY be used in conditions of Fog or Falling Snow. ( How do I know - I got done in Exeter back in 1971/2 - during the time of the 3 day week and power blackouts - for using such lights when the lights went out in Exeter ).
I was thinking of fitting something a little higher - in line with the headlights.

I can't find the lates reg's but, the fitting instructions for most aftermarket solutions refer to Fog lights in particular and specify no higher than and no wider than:

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/files/mydocs/Road Runner Instructions.pdf

Lights that are operated by the main beam come under the same regs as the lights they are supporting and therefore height is not a defined crtieria that i can find. As they only come on with the main bean then they are not considered to be as critical.

Fogs are as they can be swtiched on and left so the height/width has regs.

Note: this is an anecdotal view but I have seen the regs somewhere that supports this....

I was looking at these:

http://www.lazerlamps.com/home/grille-kits/transporter-t5-lazer-grille

but despite easily justfiying them for my Rally car (weight/power consumption/light power etc) I don't want to cut the grill as described, an the price is quite eye watering. On their facebook page there is a pic of a VW Cali with the 4 LED lights (they are UK legal) behind the top grill which works well.

If you want traditonal spots - these are excellent:

http://www.4x4at.com/ipf-900-series-130-watt-spot-lamps

at a cracking price. They also sell mounting options.

I may just buy the Zenon headlights......but I have always had spotlights.....:headbang

Hi all
I'm from Australia and stumbled across this forum, and I'm really struggling to find a supplier for the following:
VW-XPRH6SKIT

http://www.visionxeurope.com/en/art...ith-2pcs-vision-x-xpr-h6s-led-light-bars.html

Has anyone got any idea where to buy these? I tried using their website for post codes in the UK and couldn't find anything. I have mates in Europe and in the UK that could help me get a hold of the mounting brackets specific to the T6 model.
Any ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Tiago

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@WelshGas.
When i had my Zunsport grilles fitted a few years ago, they were experimenting with led's fitted in the grille of T5's. Might be worth a look on their website or ringing them?

John

Ended up adapting a led bar as per photos.. Great add on!! Highly recommend and can suggest parts to make similar fit out! Screenshot_20180213-222149.jpgScreenshot_20180213-222214.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the LED light bars are not road legal in the UK.
I'll have to keep looking. Wanted them for normal road use rather than off-road.

Morning WelshGas did you ever sort Auxillary lights ?

Been thinking about this for a while now which one of the Triple R's 750 laser lamps did you go for and is it switched or does it come on with high beam thanks in advance :thumb

I have fitted the standard Triple R 750's using the Lazerlamps fitting kit with the CANM8 Cannect Canbus interface. The lights work on main beam only. The beam patterns of the different lamps can be seen on the Lazerlamp site.

Back