Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

auxiliary heater keeps switching off

A

Andy L

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
The auxiliary heater on my 11 year old cali has stopped working recently. The fan starts up but no hot air comes out and then it switches itself off. The local VW garage had no idea what to do. Someone suggested that the heater needs to be serviced by someone who knows about them. So can anyone advise me on:
-what the make is of a 2008 auxiliary heater might be
-a recommendation of who I could contact in the Oxford/Swindon area who could service it for me
Thanks

Think it might be a webasto as mine is same model look on edge of drivers door should be a sticker .

The auxiliary heater on my 11 year old cali has stopped working recently. The fan starts up but no hot air comes out and then it switches itself off. The local VW garage had no idea what to do. Someone suggested that the heater needs to be serviced by someone who knows about them. So can anyone advise me on:
-a recommendation of who I could contact in the Oxford/Swindon area who could service it for me
Thanks
Have you tested the heater on EHU ????

Like john says, check to see if it works whilst plugged into the mains.
If it works okay then you might have a problem with the earth shunt, a
good indication that you need the earth shunt fixing is that before you start
up the heater, switch all of the lights on in the living area, whilst the heater is doing
its stuff if the lights start to flicker then its the earth shunt needed.

There's loads of stuff about the earth shunt on here, just use the HC function.
I mean search function :)

Thanks I have checked the door sticker and it says webasto.

I have tried it plugged in and it still doesn't work.

How do I find out what the voltage reading is?

I had the same issue, it was a degraded leisure battery not holding full voltage. A new battery fixed it. A good test of the aux heater in this case is to see if it runs with the engine running. If so there’s no problem with the heater it’s highly likely to be the battery.

I'm certainly no expert, but I have the same van and I had a query about this long ago, It will only work correctly with the fuel tank more than a quarter full or more. You may know this already.

I had the same issue, it was a degraded leisure battery not holding full voltage. A new battery fixed it. A good test of the aux heater in this case is to see if it runs with the engine running. If so there’s no problem with the heater it’s highly likely to be the battery.

Thanks. I have just tried it with the engine running and it does work. The thing I don't understand if it to do with a degraded leisure battery is why it doesn't work when it is on an electric hook up? Any ideas?

I'm certainly no expert, but I have the same van and I had a query about this long ago, It will only work correctly with the fuel tank more than a quarter full or more. You may know this already.
Thanks. Mine doesn't make any difference due to level of fuel.

Thanks. I have just tried it with the engine running and it does work. The thing I don't understand if it to do with a degraded leisure battery is why it doesn't work when it is on an electric hook up? Any ideas?

I think the hookup only charges the battery, doesn’t provide full voltage. Apparently there’s a low voltage cut out on the heater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
Hi Andy L.....just wondering if you managed to resolve your auxiliary heater issue. We have an 06 Cali and we have the same problem.

Just asking, Have you got more that a quarter of Tank of Fuel, doesn't work with less.

Just asking, Have you got more that a quarter of Tank of Fuel, doesn't work with less.
Thanks for the tip but we have a full tank so unfortunately that’s not the problem

It's the same advice. Try it with the engine running, and then again on hook up, then report back. Also look on your door pillar which tells you the make of heater fitted (there will be 2).

It turned out the the electric hook up wire was faulty. Once I replaced this the heater has worked well

It turned out the the electric hook up wire was faulty. Once I replaced this the heater has worked well
That's sort of good news, but doesn't answer all the questions.
If your heater only works when on hookup you might as well be running a small electric fan heater and save your diesel.
With your faulty hook up cable, the diesel heater should still have run, as its designed to operate off grid. So maybe a bit more investigation (following the points raised.... Enough fuel, battery level, earth shunt) is needed?

I had the battery checked and it was fine, and I always tested heater with at least half a tank of fuel

It's the same advice. Try it with the engine running, and then again on hook up, then report back. Also look on your door pillar which tells you the make of heater fitted (there will be 2).
Thanks for your advice, really appreciated. I have tried it with the engine running and with the ehu but it’s still no working. No fan, no heat absolutely nothing. The door says it’s a webasto photo shows the models.

D7215E92-59AD-415F-ABBA-FC10037A937C.jpeg

Thanks for your advice, really appreciated. I have tried it with the engine running and with the ehu but it’s still no working. No fan, no heat absolutely nothing. The door says it’s a webasto photo shows the models.

View attachment 51252
Have you checked the Control Panel for any Error/ Diagnostic Codes?

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001interrupt input interrupt input D +

Back