Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary Heater remote control problem

Nick S

Nick S

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have had our new Cali for a week now and just had a few trips out and about and I must say that it really is a very special vehicle and a joy to drive. Can't wait for our first night away which is likely to be at the Spring meeting in Tewkesbury. Everything seems to be working perfectly apart from the remote control for the auxiliary heating. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong. If I press the on button on the remote for the recommended 2/3 seconds it glows green followed by flashing red lights. ( the manual says it should flash green). The heater works by turning on at the main control unit. Again the remote will not turn it off.

Can anyone suggest anything that I have got wrong (or have had a similar problem) or is it more likely a fault with the remote or possibly a receiving problem at the main control unit. I have raised the issue with the dealer but as yet I have not had a response.

Any ideas would be welcome.

It could be it need to be "paired" with the Cali ....
I never used that remote , but think i read that afther for example a battery change you need to pair it.
Hope others can comfirm this?

I'm sure I had the same problem initially.

I took it into the dealer and they fixed it. I think it needed to by "synched" to the heater, if memory serves me right.

I'm sure I had the same problem initially.

I took it into the dealer and they fixed it. I think it needed to by "synched" to the heater, if memory serves me right.

As i said syncronised , paired , ....
Beeing a new Cali best to take it to the dealer;)

As i said syncronised , paired , ....
Beeing a new Cali best to take it to the dealer;)
Makes perfect sense, thanks. Hopefully it will be simple to rectify.

The dealer is about a 60 mile round trip so any excuse to go out for another trip is welcome.

Makes perfect sense, thanks. Hopefully it will be simple to rectify.

The dealer is about a 60 mile round trip so any excuse to go out for another trip is welcome.

You could leave afther dinner , spent the night on his parkinglot and be his first client tomorrow .
I do this at my dealer in the Netherlands CCN , they let you stay the night without problem:thumb

You could leave afther dinner , spent the night on his parkinglot and be his first client tomorrow .
I do this at my dealer in the Netherlands CCN , they let you stay the night without problem:thumb
Yes I could but I would need the heater on but couldn't turn it off from my bed!!

Nice idea but might give that one a miss.

Yes I could but I would need the heater on but couldn't turn it off from my bed!!

Nice idea but might give that one a miss.
Thanks for the advice.

As suggested it hadn't been synchronised/paired at the factory. I returned to the dealer this afternoon and they sorted it whilst I waited.

Clearly we should have tested that it worked at handover. so I would suggest that this is added to the handover list as it clearly isn't the first time it's happened.

My remote is a pear-shaped one, not the angular-looking one pictured in another post. It stopped working about a year ago, so I assumed it needed a new battery. The battery that came out was a strange-looking tall one; coded CR-1/3N (3 volts). I was told in an electrical store that these were no longer made, but two shallower 1.5 volt ones would do the job. Now all I get is flashing red lights (which I believe indicates insufficient charge). I can't find any reference to the battery required in my manual (which was a translation from the German). Anybody know the correct battery for this type of remote controller? Or might it be the "synching" problem others have referred to (athough that would be suggested, I gather, by green not red lights)? Thanks.

My remote is a pear-shaped one, not the angular-looking one pictured in another post. It stopped working about a year ago, so I assumed it needed a new battery. The battery that came out was a strange-looking tall one; coded CR-1/3N (3 volts). I was told in an electrical store that these were no longer made, but two shallower 1.5 volt ones would do the job. Now all I get is flashing red lights (which I believe indicates insufficient charge). I can't find any reference to the battery required in my manual (which was a translation from the German). Anybody know the correct battery for this type of remote controller? Or might it be the "synching" problem others have referred to (athough that would be suggested, I gather, by green not red lights)? Thanks.
I suggest you change your electrical store.
Plenty on eBay . Also made by Duracell.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cr1-3n-battery

I've had the same problem and it's in now worth he dealer to get sorted. They haven't yet been able to fix it. They tested the control unit, changed the aerial which is located in the drivers door mirror and now have concluded it needs synced with the control unit. Anyone know who to sync the remote? It's probably just a button sequence.

And very handy when you realise you have left the heater on in the station car park and are already on the station platform with the train arriving. Seriously, it worked!!

And very handy when you realise you have left the heater on in the station car park and are already on the station platform with the train arriving. Seriously, it worked!!

How primitive! Should be able to control it from anywhere in the world via the internet :(:(:)