Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary heater remote pairing

L

Lez99

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi Experts,
On my recently purchased 2008 Cali I had a remote for the auxiliary heater, but the seller told me that the control until has been recently replaced which could possibly mean that the old remote needs pairing with the new control unit. My question - is there an easy way to pair the control unit with the remote without a pricey visit to VW garage ?

Hi Experts,
On my recently purchased 2008 Cali I had a remote for the auxiliary heater, but the seller told me that the control until has been recently replaced which could possibly mean that the old remote needs pairing with the new control unit. My question - is there an easy way to pair the control unit with the remote without a pricey visit to VW garage ?
Not to my knowledge.

Hi Experts,
This might help.

In the back of my mind, I remember reading that you can pair up the heater remote within 1 minute of powering up the receiver.
So you have to remove the fuse for it, then replace it and then hold the remote button.

Last edited:
Hi Experts,
Where are you based? I know a man who can.

Near Basingstoke, UK
Unfortunately he's up North. My understanding is it is a very simple job (almost as simple as resetting the service light.... Just a few things done in the right sequence) but those who know won't declare the method.

you need VCDS. Select > 18 - Aux. Heater > Basic Settings - 04 > Remote Matching > Follow the steps on the screen.
Remote Control Adaptation for 18-Aux. Heat

Prerequisites:
- Vehicle must have J364-Auxiliary Heater with R149-remote control receiver.
- Auxiliary heater must be 'off', remote adaptation will NOT work if on.
- Voltage of battery and the telestart sensor are okay.
- Coding has to support the remote control functions.

Note: A total of three remote can be adapted and each new additional remote adapted will overwrite the oldest adapted remote.

[Select]
[18 - Aux. Heater]
[Adaptation-10]
Read channel [005]
[Test] and [Save] a new value of [0]
Press Remote's [Off] button for 1 second
The value should change from [0] to [1]

The fields should show the status of the procedure.
(the number of the remote) and (learned / not learned)

[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

you need VCDS. Select > 18 - Aux. Heater > Basic Settings - 04 > Remote Matching > Follow the steps on the screen.
Remote Control Adaptation for 18-Aux. Heat

Prerequisites:
- Vehicle must have J364-Auxiliary Heater with R149-remote control receiver.
- Auxiliary heater must be 'off', remote adaptation will NOT work if on.
- Voltage of battery and the telestart sensor are okay.
- Coding has to support the remote control functions.

Note: A total of three remote can be adapted and each new additional remote adapted will overwrite the oldest adapted remote.

[Select]
[18 - Aux. Heater]
[Adaptation-10]
Read channel [005]
[Test] and [Save] a new value of [0]
Press Remote's [Off] button for 1 second
The value should change from [0] to [1]

The fields should show the status of the procedure.
(the number of the remote) and (learned / not learned)

[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]
This is great, I will have a go on Thursday at a friendly garage and report back !

This is great, I will have a go on Thursday at a friendly garage and report back !
When we bought our second-hand calli I had problems with our remote heater control.
I tried pairing, if you google you can find lost of info. But our remote had a problem with the chip on the circuit board, The green LED was flashing but there was no radio signal. I'm a fully licenced radio amateur and using my spectrum analyser I could not see the radio signal. So I open the remote control and resolder all the soldering points. From that moment de remote works FB.
As far as I know pairing can be done without VADIS, the receiver (Lefthand drive versions) can be found in the A column about 1,5 foot from the floor just behind the the dash. disconnect the connector wait 5 min, and reconnect while giving heater on signal with the remote. That should pull the trick. Good luck.
Frans

As far as I know pairing can be done without VADIS, the receiver (Lefthand drive versions) can be found in the A column about 1,5 foot from the floor just behind the the dash. disconnect the connector wait 5 min, and reconnect while giving heater on signal with the remote. That should pull the trick. Good luck.
Frans
Yea, that's what I mentioned back in post #4, so there are 2 option for the OP to try.

Yea, that's what I mentioned back in post #4, so there are 2 option for the OP to try.
Hi Loz, is the aux heater fuse the F6 (25A) one under the passenger seat on the T5-T6?

Last edited:
The controller is in fuse box C on the T6 SC46 and yes the heater fuse itself is under the seat.
View attachment 85743
Thanks Loz, on the T5 is the aux heater controller fuse in Fuse holder C (Lower) either ...
23 10A Residual heat relay -J708-30a- Remote control receiver for auxiliary coolant -heater -R149- Auxiliary heater operating and display unit -E407- Operating and display unit for camping equipment -E153-
OR
29 25A Heater control unit -J162-30

Screenshot_20211019-202004-489.png

Can more than 1 remote be coded to the van as often leave the remote in the house on cold days to heat van prior to entering and like one in the van when all tucked up in bed to switch heater on, I realise I could take the remote with us but often forget

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Can more than 1 remote be coded to the van as often leave the remote in the house on cold days to heat van prior to entering and like one in the van when all tucked up in bed to switch heater on, I realise I could take the remote with us but often forget

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
As far as I am aware, only 1 remote/Parking Heater.

I have two heater remotes paired to my T6 Beach. Up to 4 heater remotes can be paired. It's a two minute job if you have VCDS.

Unfortunately he's up North. My understanding is it is a very simple job (almost as simple as resetting the service light.... Just a few things done in the right sequence) but those who know won't declare the method.
How far up North is he ? I might have take you up on this offer and travel to get it done. So far no luck here ;(

How far up North is he ? I might have take you up on this offer and travel to get it done. So far no luck here ;(
Matlock. Send me a message if you want his details.