Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary heater won’t turn off when driving

ZampaVan

ZampaVan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have a 2014 T5 Ocean and have owned since January 2018. Just returned from a 2 night break in the New Forest and both on our journey there and coming back the Auxillary heater was pumping out heat despite the central control showing auxillary heating off. Even switching off central control made no difference and it seems to remain constantly on when driving. However at night and when stationary it works perfectly kicking in as necessary when the temperature drops inside the van. Have checked the manual but that only seems to cover problems with the heater not working. We had a tracker fitted by Tracker Network soon after purchase where the installation engineer connected the device for its rechargeable batteries to the wiring loom behind the headlight control. Wondering whether that could be the cause? Any suggestions welcome.

Are you sure it’s not your heater that’s on. Go and test it as this has been a topic before. With the auxiliary heater on you will feel the heat coming out from the vent in the B Pillar. That’s the one the seatbelt hangs from. If it’s coming from the vent further back that’s heating from the engine.

Mike

Could be the rear climatronic heating on if you have it..

That’s what I was trying to say. Forgot the word climatronic. That was the issue last time someone reported this.

Mike

Are you sure it’s not your heater that’s on. Go and test it as this has been a topic before. With the auxiliary heater on you will feel the heat coming out from the vent in the B Pillar. That’s the one the seatbelt hangs from. If it’s coming from the vent further back that’s heating from the engine.

Mike
Thanks Mike - it’s definitely pumping out from the vent in the B Pillar. Does anyone know what the off switch does on the pillar - see photo. Can’t find it identified in the manual.

C2524580-E95E-4C2E-BB27-6061B93F5980.jpeg

yes that's the aux heater alright... pull the control fuse for it. Fuse SC46 on ours.
The off button is for the Alarm sensors.
This is the T6 fuse card so might be smlilar to yous.
upload_2018-3-9_16-29-15.png

The switch on the Pillar is to do with locking the Cali in various modes. Not the heater.

If the auxiliary heater is off I can’t see how heat can come through the vent in your picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

.....a program...

We have a 2014 T5 Ocean and have owned since January 2018. Just returned from a 2 night break in the New Forest and both on our journey there and coming back the Auxillary heater was pumping out heat despite the central control showing auxillary heating off. Even switching off central control made no difference and it seems to remain constantly on when driving. However at night and when stationary it works perfectly kicking in as necessary when the temperature drops inside the van. Have checked the manual but that only seems to cover problems with the heater not working. We had a tracker fitted by Tracker Network soon after purchase where the installation engineer connected the device for its rechargeable batteries to the wiring loom behind the headlight control. Wondering whether that could be the cause? Any suggestions welcome.
Just to get this clear. You say the heater is ON when Driving. OFF when parked up. You have to switch it ON if you want it working when Parked Up.

Is this the first time this has happened?

Do you have the 3 Zone Climatronic AirCon System?

What is the Rear AirCon temperature set to?
With Ignition On Press the Rear Button on the Front AirCon Panel. What Temperature is the Rear set to?

I don’t recollect anyone having this problem with the Parking Heater. Some have thought it was malfunctioning but it turned out the Rear Heating was set to a high temperature and that was what was being detected with hot air blowing from the lower vent by the bench seat forward towards the rear of the drivers seat.

A simple check that it is not the climatronic deceiving you is to turn the climatronic off and see if heat is still pumping out of the B pillar.

Even if the front climatronic is off, the rear could be on. (Our two year old has just learned how to operate the rear controls. Clare, Ben (4) and I have to refer to him for instruction).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Just to get this clear. You say the heater is ON when Driving. OFF when parked up. You have to switch it ON if you want it working when Parked Up.

Is this the first time this has happened?

Do you have the 3 Zone Climatronic AirCon System?

What is the Rear AirCon temperature set to?
With Ignition On Press the Rear Button on the Front AirCon Panel. What Temperature is the Rear set to?

I don’t recollect anyone having this problem with the Parking Heater. Some have thought it was malfunctioning but it turned out the Rear Heating was set to a high temperature and that was what was being detected with hot air blowing from the lower vent by the bench seat forward towards the rear of the drivers seat.

Thanks for all your tips. It has happened a few weeks ago on our first expedition to Brighton but we put it down to our ignorance of the central control system. Didn’t realise that the van was so sophisticated with climate control to the rear. Will check it out in the morning when the rain has stopped!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your tips. It has happened a few weeks ago on our first expedition to Brighton but we put it down to our ignorance of the central control system. Didn’t realise that the van was so sophisticated with climate control to the rear. Will check it out in the morning when the rain has stopped!
Please let us know what you find.

Thanks Mike - it’s definitely pumping out from the vent in the B Pillar. Does anyone know what the off switch does on the pillar - see photo. Can’t find it identified in the manual.

View attachment 30801

So what you say here ....."definitely".....is not sure ?
Without correct info there will be no outcome.

As the parking heat, that pushes out heat from the vents at the bottom of the B pillar, is powered and controlled by the roof control panel, would resetting this sort out the issue?

Alan

Didn’t realise that the van was so sophisticated with climate control to the rear.
I play draughts with Jack and he always wins.

I can seize control of the rear climate control by pressing the sync button, but all Jack has to do to regain control is press any button - I lose. Furthermore, he can choose to send either an icy blast or a scorcher up my right leg.

The control should be child-proofed.

Checked the Climatronic in the rear and it was set by previous owner at maximum. I turning it down to 18 and success - no more heat out of the B pillar.

I’m think that shows 2 things
1) I am a doughnut
2) the Forum is very useful and the advice and assistance given by members is invaluable to novice California owners like ourselves!
Thanks to all of you for your help

Checked the Climatronic in the rear and it was set by previous owner at maximum. I turning it down to 18 and success - no more heat out of the B pillar.

1) I am a doughnut
2) the Forum is very useful and the advice and assistance given by members is invaluable to novice California owners like ourselves!
If no one is in the back, the best thing to do is "sync" the three controls (front passenger, driver and rear) together by pressing the "sync" button under the dashboard controls.

I have the opposite problem with a 2008 174 Cali. Heater comes on randomly when driving (yes hot air from the B pillar). Does seem to turn off when done so from control panel. Assume it might be a bug in control panel? Do not use it much so thinking I will pull the fuse. Are fuses same as T 6 photo on this thread & where are they located?

1) I am a doughnut
50% of this we had already established.

Back