Auxiliary heater

john mar

john mar

Basil
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Dear All

Would someone mind giving me some advice please, regarding our heater.

Vehicle (68 )VW Cali ocean

I phoned VW and they said they would need the Cali for two days, to avoid this I am asking the Cali club this question.

I turn the heater on at number 7 for about half an hour and then turn it down to 1 and it goes off every time I do it.

If I turn it down to number 5 it stays on.I asked VW at Chelmsford was there a reset and they said no.

Help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

John

There is an internal temp sensor. So if the temperature is already at the right level, then the heater will turn off automatically.

Sounds ok to me.

Dear All

I phoned VW and they said they would need the Cali for two days, to avoid this I am asking the Cali club this question.

I turn the heater on at number 7 for about half an hour and then turn it down to 1 and it goes off every time I do it.

If I turn it down to number 5 it stays on.I asked VW at Chelmsford was there a reset and they said no.

Kind regards

John
When you say it turns off, do you mean that the heater actually shuts down and the heater indicator light on the control panel goes out?

Dear All

Kind regards

John
The Heater is thermostatically controlled so will swtch into standby mode until temperature drops. Does the Orange light go Off on the Control Panel? Or does it stay On and the Heater go silent?
If the latter then that is normal.

Thank you all.

The heater goes off and the light on the panel stays on and then the heater does not come on again.It stays on at 5,but just now it went off at 3.itvwill only stay on at 7 or above the battery is now 50 percent and I have a full tank I am going to hook the cali upto electric now.

Thanks

Thank you all.

The heater goes off and the light on the panel stays on and then the heater does not come on again.It stays on at 5,but just now it went off at 3.itvwill only stay on at 7 or above the battery is now 50 percent and I have a full tank I am going to hook the cali upto electric now.

Thanks
Try running it at the low settings with the doors open ..... if it’s cold enough the heater should run. I find the low settings do cut out at a relatively low temperature and take a good drop in temperature to kick back in again.

The Heater is thermostatically controlled so will swtch into standby mode until temperature drops. Does the Orange light go Off on the Control Panel? Or does it stay On and the Heater go silent?
If the latter then that is normal.
Ok thanks will wait and see if when temp lowers the heater comes back on

Sorry I pressed wrong button report, this is for the person who advised opening the door.

I ment to press like .sorry again

I

Try starting the Heater on 1,2 or 3. It will warm up quit quickly and then slowly back off as the tempeature is reached and possibly go into standby if its not very cold outside.
Its all a case of balancing heat input against heat loss through the body/canvas roof and windows. If heat loss is low then heater goes into standby until temp drops. If heat loss is high it will keep going.

VW wanted two days ???
Perhaps they should point Cali owners to this excellent forum or even look at it themselves .
Great info here as always
GIHAA. !

Your turning the stat up high on no.7 so after 5 minutes or so when you turn down to no 1 or 2 for example it’s bound to cut out or have I misunderstood you !

Your turning the stat up high on no.7 so after 5 minutes or so when you turn down to no 1 or 2 for example it’s bound to cut out or have I misunderstood you !
Correct

slightly off topic and apologies for the thread highjack. I understand the aux heater is fuelled by diesel. Has any ''quants' guys amongst the forum worked out how efficient it is? For example, how efficient is it in terms of kWH costs?

slightly off topic and apologies for the thread highjack. I understand the aux heater is fuelled by diesel. Has any ''quants' guys amongst the forum worked out how efficient it is? For example, how efficient is it in terms of kWH costs?
The Eberspacher D3 is no longer sold by the company, maybe made just for VW, but it is a 3 Kw heater and the replacement would be the D4.
Fuel consumption for the D4 is :

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 15.20.56.jpg

So, at continuous maximum output you would use 7.14 L over 14 hrs, AND in the California as it is thermostatically controlled a lot less than that. In fact probably nearer 3-4 L in total or less.

Used ours a fair bit last week on the timed thermostat, just clicks on/off when it reaches desired temp. Consumption is hardly noticeable.

Yes that’s what I was thinking, I bought the Inflatable tube thing in the Khyam sale, going to try it this weekend to see if it stops them coming back at you

Yes that’s what I was thinking, I bought the Inflatable tube thing in the Khyam sale, going to try it this weekend to see if it stops them coming back at you
What inflatable tube thing are you referring to?

So, does it work?
Looked at one of those but thought the exhaust would just burn a hole in it .....
be interested to hear your views ....

About to pack up in an hour or so Eddie so will keep you posted

Back