Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary heater

D

David Stock

VIP Member
My auxiliary internal heater has stopped working. The suggestion is, it is the pump. Does anyone have experience of this. Is it a common problem. Is this likely the cause? Thank you for halp and advice in advance.

My auxiliary internal heater has stopped working. The suggestion is, it is the pump. Does anyone have experience of this. Is it a common problem. Is this likely the cause? Thank you for halp and advice in advance.
Plenty of fuel in the tank? Minimum 1/4 tank if I recall.

When you turn it on, does the light on the control panel illuminate? If so, can you hear a slight ticking noise before ignition? The pump can be heard.

No light on panel. On the top left of the panel there is a flashing grey heater symbol indicating a malfunction.

No light on panel. On the top left of the panel there is a flashing grey heater symbol indicating a malfunction.
Which vehicle and year?

See here, Post 6.

Try switching it on with the engine running - they are sensitive to low voltage in the battery. Not sure which battery they are fed from but it takes a lot of power to warm the glow plug - if there's not enough power the heater detects that and won't start.

Try switching it on with the engine running - they are sensitive to low voltage in the battery. Not sure which battery they are fed from but it takes a lot of power to warm the glow plug - if there's not enough power the heater detects that and won't start.
The diesel Parking Heater runs from the Leisure Batteries. Needs a voltage greater than 11. 5v and at least a 1 / 4 tank of diesel.

Thank you for everyone’s help. Resetting from the control panel sorted it. How strange it is.

Just had a few days camping and whilst there discovered that the auxiliary heater stopped working in our Cali Ocean. I think it was because I'd previously disconnected the main battery to try and solve some other problem or maybe it was just one of those things. Used the forum and managed to sort it. Basically need to press a few buttons on the controls until you can find diagnosis and clear the fault; problem solved! We also have an oil-filled electric heater we plugged in to warm us up until I did the fix. Hope this helps anyone else out there.