Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary heating vs We Connect APP

R

rhcpu2

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new California T6.1 that has a 1 year free We Connect Plus service. In the We Connect Android application one can turn on/off the horn and turn signals. I have seen on the internet that some VW cars have the possibility to control also the auxiliary heating. However in my cali, which as the auxiliary heating but there is no option in the application to turn it off/on.

What are your experiences on this? Do you have the option in your we connect app or you can only turn it on remotely via the remote control?

Thank you

Hi welcome also from Switzerland!
I have a T6 Beach Edition, and I cannot for the life of me get any use out of the We Connect thing (also Android). All I can see in the app is that we have a Beach! No other info at all; no service data, no performance data, no aux remote functions, nada. So I think you are really lucky to get as far as you have.

Hi,
well I think I have all the services with the exception of controlling the auxiliary heater. I can even see the last place the cali was parked. Be aware that you may have to enable this in the infotainment system. I don't know by heart, but if you go settings -> user -> privacy settings -> then you probably have everything in "private" mode. If you enable them then you may be able to get all those data.

In my case, I don't even have the menu for that:

VW_T61.jpg

like they advertise here:

VW_heating.JPG

If the California has a specific heating system that can be remotely activated, why not allow the user to enable it from the We Connect application?

There are two versions of We Connect for the T6.1......so it depends which version you have. Breakdown of the differences are as follows:

We Connect System (including the info using an App on your phone). comes as standard
Breakdown call NEW
information call
parking position
Automatic accident notification NEW
vehicle status
Doors & lights
Vehicle condition report
Driving data
Service scheduling

We Connect Plus, also included with Discovey Pro option
Online traffic information NEW
Online search for special destinations
Online map update NEW
Online voice control NEW
Media streaming NEW
Area notification
Online theft warning system
Online parking heater
Locking & unlocking
Web radio NEW
WLANHotspot NEW
Speed notification
Horn & flashing
Online route calculation
Petrol stations and charging stations
Parking spaces

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned in the first post we have "We Connect Plus service" so we should have access to that as well. For instance I already use the feature "Area notification" many times which is only available in "Plus".

Do you have that option (heating) on your app? I just want to know if my system is somehow misconfigured and the option is not showing... But for that I need to find some one that has a Cali and is able to turn-on the heater from the application.

Did you ever find an answer to this, I get the same options as you with no auxiliary heating control via the app...

No, I guess it is not possible. The app was updated in the meantime and still no option for that.

Thanks for the reply, it’s pretty annoying as this was in the sales literature and like you say we have we connect plus so should have these services. Wonder if someone with discovery media pro can confirm if they have the extra services

Yes, it is bummer. Our sales guy even told us that this was possible... Later I took the van to the VW garage to replace some parts that had some scratches and the mechanic guy told me that the heating option is only there for cars that have the heating system running from the motor and not from the auxiliary heating like we have in the VW California. Sad!

I have just had the email from VW saying We Connect is being updated tomorrow, one of the features listed as as being affected is "online Auxiliary heater". lets hope this gives remote control of the settings.

Been waiting for this option. Frustrating it hasn’t been there from the start !

I have just had the email from VW saying We Connect is being updated tomorrow, one of the features listed as as being affected is "online Auxiliary heater". lets hope this gives remote control of the settings.
Not received the email myself. Does it mention locking/unlocking? Is it automatically downloaded to the van?

Email Below - just my details removed from the top.

our satisfaction is always our top priority. Part of maintaining our standards involves performing regular system updates for mobile online services. This usually happens in the background.

However, we will require your assistance following the system update that will take place on January 27th 2021 between 00:01 a.m. and 04:00 a.m. (CET). The next time your Volkswagen is started after the update, communication will need to be re-established between your vehicle and our systems.

To do this, the relevant profile for the primary and secondary user must be selected in the vehicle’s infotainment system depending on the driver, and the correct S-PIN must be entered. If you are the primary user and will be unable to access your vehicle for a prolonged period, please inform a secondary user about the steps that need to be performed after the system update. We have provided detailed instructions for this below.

Please be aware that after the time window for the planned system update mentioned above, various mobile online services will not function until you start your vehicle again. During this period, you will not receive any notifications from your vehicle in the We Connect app, in the We Connect web portal or by email and will not be able to send any commands to your vehicle through the We Connect app or from the We Connect web portal.

The following services are affected: ‘Lock & Unlock’; ‘Horn & Turn Signals’; ‘Parking Position’; ‘Vehicle Health Report’; ‘Vehicle Status’; ‘Online Auxiliary Heater’; ‘Online Anti-Theft Alarm’; ‘Speed Alert’; ‘Area Alert’.

Please note in particular that no notifications from the ‘Online Anti-Theft Alarm’ service can be received during this period. The anti-theft alarm system will still trigger as usual in the event of an attempted theft, but you will not be informed of this by a notification in your We Connect app or in the We Connect web portal.

For this reason, please try to minimise the time between the system update and restarting your vehicle (do so within 24 hours if possible) in order re-enable communication between your vehicle and our systems as soon as possible.

We would like to thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

Please proceed as follows the next time you start your vehicle after the system update:

First switch on your vehicle’s ignition. If your vehicle is unable to connect to the Internet at its present location, please move your vehicle to somewhere where it can establish a connection. Communication between our systems and your vehicle can only be established when there is an Internet connection.

Next, please select your profile as primary or secondary user from the available user profiles.

Please note: If you do not actively select the primary or secondary user from your user profiles, the guest user profile will be selected and your vehicle will be in ‘Maximum privacy’ mode. There can be no data connection between the vehicle and the data server in this mode. This means that the functionality of various services is also restricted. The current vehicle status is also not shown in the We Connect web portal or We Connect app.

If you are asked to do so, please enter your four-digit S-PIN.Once you have entered your S-PIN, you may then be asked to enter your username and password. Please enter these if asked to do so. Once you have entered all of your details and your user profile is successfully accepted, please check whether the globe in your infotainment system turns white. This means that your vehicle has been reconnected to the Internet and can communicate with our systems. This may take a few minutes.

If the globe in your infotainment system does not turn white or the infotainment system in your vehicle behaves differently from the above, you may need to turn your ignition on again. Leave the vehicle to stand for a few minutes, then try again.

If you require assistance with these steps, the infotainment system behaves differently from the above or you have further questions about the mobile online services, our customer support team are always happy to help.

Thank you for your support. We hope you continue to enjoy using Volkswagen We Connect services.

Your We Connect team

I got the same email - we'll know in the next 48hrs if it's been added I suppose......

No email to me! Andy/Jeff are your Cali’s MY20 or MY21?

Mine is May 2020 - 6.1 - only signed up for the Weconnect about a month ago.

mines a 2020 model as its got sport mode on the gearbox & the alarm button on the B pillar

That might explain why I haven’t had the email then?
As i’ve said previously the VW Digital Team advised me a while back that remote Aux Heater control and remote lock/unlock are available via the We Connect App on MY20 and will again be available on MY22 vans but are NOT available on MY21 - Mine is MY21 :-(

Grumpygrandad have you downloaded the app and set it up? It's the Weconnect App on the App store (and android). You have to do an ID check with your driver licence/ proof of ownership etc and then it gets set up for your van. This email was just to say it's getting an update (which we hop included the remote heater option)

**ignore that just saw your reply. I hope that's not the case or I'll be waiting till 2022 as well!

It was the weirdest thing setting up the authorisation with a face time having to show my face and driving licence to a Eastern European lady, if it wasn’t for the official email from VW, I’d have thought I was getting signed up for the KGB or something worse.
It was all done very professionally though.

Grumpygrandad have you downloaded the app and set it up? It's the Weconnect App on the App store (and android). You have to do an ID check with your driver licence/ proof of ownership etc and then it gets set up for your van. This email was just to say it's getting an update (which we hop included the remote heater option)

**ignore that just saw your reply. I hope that's not the case or I'll be waiting till 2022 as well!
Unfortunately I’ve been around that loop with the Digital Team with no luck. Seems really ofd to me as I can’t imagine it’s anything other than software?
Still love the van even without those We Connect features.

Just revisited my emails from the VW WeConnect team. Here’s a couple of extracts:

In regards to your inquiry, unfortunately for the vehicles 2021, lock and unlock functions are not available. It will be available again in vehicles 2022.

However, your vehicle does not support the “Online Auxiliary Heater” function.
The above is not a license related issue but a vehicle configuration matter and the function cannot be retrofitted.

So, quite clear. For anybody expecting delivery of their Cali this year, you won’t have those features !!!

Looks like the 2020 model was the sweet spot then before bits got stripped out, got to be worth far more come resale time...

Looks like the 2020 model was the sweet spot then before bits got stripped out, got to be worth far more come resale time...
Sounds good to me !
Just hope the 4motion is a MY22 !
But tbh, I haven’t used MyConnect since I tried unlocking the doors.
Use the Global Telematics Tracker to see where it is.
And not really fussed about mileage and economy.
Need to start writing the For Sale description.
As I will forget to put those important bits in !

:)

Sounds good to me !
Just hope the 4motion is a MY22 !
But tbh, I haven’t used MyConnect since I tried unlocking the doors.
Use the Global Telematics Tracker to see where it is.
And not really fussed about mileage and economy.
Need to start writing the For Sale description.
As I will forget to put those important bits in !
TBH don’t look at mine much but the only 2 features that could be really useful are missing. Bl***y annoying and no satisfactory explanation from VW.

Back