Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AWNING ADVICE

Old Sid

Old Sid

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We've not had our California for long. The Fiamma awning has been great in the sunny and warm weather. Trouble is, it's not so great when it's colder and windy.
We've therefore been considering some sort of simple awning that will offer more shelter and be okay when it's windy. We don't need anything elaborate, just something that's quick to erect, small when folded and inexpensive. We don't need 'drive-away'.
I've looked around on line but I haven't found anything suitable. Any ideas?
Many thanks. :)

I am a fan of the Comfortz Awning sides which turns your VW awning into a room. Packs small, quick and easy to put up and can be used as a full room, or just sides/front or rear to act as a windbreak.

Hope that helps - you can get one through the club shop.

Depends how windy really, our awning for example is brilliant and it stood upto the Brean sands meet with pretty strong winds. The instructions however does say not to use in windy conditions (I wager every awning does the same?).

We really rate the Outdoor Revolution tent we got from the club, we have a tailgate one but the side one looks larger and very nice. Ours was very easy to put up and quite versatile in that it can be opened out or closed as a tent. Also can be used standalone.

The awning tie-down straps sold in the club shop are great for windy conditions. Add the Comfortz awning sides for rain and you're away.

ypu can tie the awning down with some rock pegs and spare Guy ropes from go outdoors. forget that expensive tie down kit. only th8ng is when it's really windy I would wind it in. not because I don't trust the guy ropes I attach but because it's noisy as hell at night in the wind.

ypu can tie the awning down with some rock pegs and spare Guy ropes from go outdoors. forget that expensive tie down kit. only th8ng is when it's really windy I would wind it in. not because I don't trust the guy ropes I attach but because it's noisy as hell at night in the wind.

Not sure I would call a £15 tie down expensive in the grand scheme of things? Plus the proper tie down kits have tensioners on both side to stop it just shipping pegs straight out the ground.

some big pegs and rope mate . What's the difference?that's what I do anyway. 15 pound isn't expensive. but 7 quid does same job. and don't start about expensive van and all that. I'm still paying for it so 8 quid matters. additionally don't tent Guy ropes have tensioner?

The additional £8 of tension silences the awning in the wind, I've found, which is the difference between being able to sleep with it extended or having to go out and wind it in in the rain before you go to bed.

If I was going to quibble about the price of anything in my previous post it'd be the sides, not the tie down kit!

Hi!

Can you fix a driveaway awning onto the Fiamma F45S when it's wound out, or does it have to be when it's closed?

Sorry newbie question.....!

Alistair

Yes you can attach an awning with the fiamma wound out on mine there is an awning channel on the front of the cassette.

I've been trying to work out how I would connect a drive away awning to my Thule Omnister (I think) awning. The only channel appears to be on the front edge of the awning so is only useable if the awning is wound out. Am I missing something?

I've been trying to work out how I would connect a drive away awning to my Thule Omnister (I think) awning. The only channel appears to be on the front edge of the awning so is only useable if the awning is wound out. Am I missing something?
You could wind out a bit, attach and then wind back in to tighten it up..

Yes you can attach an awning with the fiamma wound out on mine there is an awning channel on the front of the cassette.

Hi,

Yes, there are 2 channels on the front, I just wasn't sure if caused strain or suchlike... I have the rafter pro, and the storm straps with the spring bits etc.....

Thanks,

Alistair

Okay - progress report. Thanks for the ideas.
I bought the inflatable Quechua from Decathlon. We haven't used it yet but have pitched it up against the van to test it out.
- Very easy to pitch with just a few pumps. Appears to be quite well made and relatively robust. I doubt it would stand a gale but that's not what we wanted it for. Full pitching time under ten minutes.
- Groundsheet is removable allowing a 'breathable' one to be used.
- Mozzie net on side door is a nice touch.
- Attachment to the van is more difficult. Unfortunately it's not as long as the awning box so it won't simply hook over. My only solution so far has been to roll up the door that faces the van and stuff it over and behind the awning box, holding it in place with a length of 6mm shock cord. And other ideas out there?
- The folded tent is still quite big and easily takes up about 1/4 of the space under the rear bed shelf.

I guess I'll know more after it's been used properly.

I am really impressed with Quechua products on cost performance (sorry). I have a Vango Sapera (airbeam) a Vango Idris (airbeam) a Comfortz awning sides and a Quechua shelter pop up. If we are staying 4+ days the Sapera is best. Overnight or two nights the Quechua unless you want to stay rooted with the Comfortz awning sides. Tried to sell the Idris but no takers so useful for a longer stay at a city site with smaller pitches.

I am really impressed with Quechua products on cost performance (sorry). I have a Vango Sapera (airbeam) a Vango Idris (airbeam) a Comfortz awning sides and a Quechua shelter pop up. If we are staying 4+ days the Sapera is best. Overnight or two nights the Quechua unless you want to stay rooted with the Comfortz awning sides. Tried to sell the Idris but no takers so useful for a longer stay at a city site with smaller pitches.

I'm impressed too. I hope I've made the right choice. I think the Quechua will be easy to put up and take down. We usually only stay one or two nights at each site.

Okay - progress report. Thanks for the ideas.
I bought the inflatable Quechua from Decathlon. We haven't used it yet but have pitched it up against the van to test it out.
- Very easy to pitch with just a few pumps. Appears to be quite well made and relatively robust. I doubt it would stand a gale but that's not what we wanted it for. Full pitching time under ten minutes.
- Groundsheet is removable allowing a 'breathable' one to be used.
- Mozzie net on side door is a nice touch.
- Attachment to the van is more difficult. Unfortunately it's not as long as the awning box so it won't simply hook over. My only solution so far has been to roll up the door that faces the van and stuff it over and behind the awning box, holding it in place with a length of 6mm shock cord. And other ideas out there?
- The folded tent is still quite big and easily takes up about 1/4 of the space under the rear bed shelf.

I guess I'll know more after it's been used properly.
Sid, which Quechua did you get? I'm looking at the Air Seconds Base XL (picture below)...but doesn't look like that has a removable ground sheet. The Base Seconds pop up (green one) doesn't have a ground sheet at all, so that is out of the running. Wondering if I'm missing an option.
be79514f8e7b8799ce6f88491d30e41f.jpg

- Yes, it does
- No, it doesn't
- No, you're not

Sid, which Quechua did you get? I'm looking at the Air Seconds Base XL (picture below)...but doesn't look like that has a removable ground sheet. The Base Seconds pop up (green one) doesn't have a ground sheet at all, so that is out of the running. Wondering if I'm missing an option.
be79514f8e7b8799ce6f88491d30e41f.jpg
We bought the one you've pictured here. The groundsheet is removable. However, the corner ground pegging points are attached to the groundsheet which is then attached to the sides of the tent. I have overcome this by putting a loop of cord through the groundsheet attachment point and pegging through that.
The inflatable bit works well - it's a single tube. Deflating is the main issue when you need to take the tent down and get it back into a nice tight roll. There are two straps across the base to prevent the sides from 'spreading' when the doors are open.
Some of the camp sites we use insist on 'breathable' groundsheets so we've got one of those.
It all looks as if it'll do the job well enough. I will report back when it's been used a few times. We do not intend to take it on every trip, only when we can foresee it being useful.

We bought the one you've pictured here. The groundsheet is removable. However, the corner ground pegging points are attached to the groundsheet which is then attached to the sides of the tent. I have overcome this by putting a loop of cord through the groundsheet attachment point and pegging through that.
The inflatable bit works well - it's a single tube. Deflating is the main issue when you need to take the tent down and get it back into a nice tight roll. There are two straps across the base to prevent the sides from 'spreading' when the doors are open.
Some of the camp sites we use insist on 'breathable' groundsheets so we've got one of those.
It all looks as if it'll do the job well enough. I will report back when it's been used a few times. We do not intend to take it on every trip, only when we can foresee it being useful.

UPDATE:
The awning has never been used and it has turned out to be an unnecessary purchase.

Back