Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning advise

T

Tulser

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
hi everybody I have just bought a T6 ocean and need to get an awning for my 3 kids to use
Which do you good people on here recommend I hear the name vango a lot. Ideally I would like an inflatable
For ease of putting up.
Many thanks Corrine

Hi mr sheen thanks for the quick reply. We will need to sleep one teenager.
I would also like to store the BBQ and the bikes and a couple of small fold up chairs. My teenage boy will be helping me set it up. Thanks for the link

hi everybody I have just bought a T6 ocean and need to get an awning for my 3 kids to use
Which do you good people on here recommend I hear the name vango a lot. Ideally I would like an inflatable
For ease of putting up.
Many thanks Corrine
We ordered vango galli from motorhome show in October, I've erected in the garden and seems straight forward but not used with the van as I'm still waiting on delivery.

Hi, I am waiting until my Cali is delivered before deciding on this matter. The bit I can't get my head round is once you have put up a drive-away awning and then you drive away how tricky is it realigning the Cali to "reconnect" when you return? It occurs to me there could potentially be a lot of manoeuvring to get that right. Any comments/help form anyone?

I've had a few awnings over the years and currently have a Vango Kela inflatable. I'm very pleased with its ease of use, compact packed size and overall quality.

Lining the van up with the awning following a trip out isn't as hard as you might think. A good trick is to put a tent peg in to mark each wheel position before you leave. The bright yellow Vango pegs are good for this.

I've just bought a Vango Kela III low inflatable second hand and find the pack size enormous.
Well it's a lot smaller than my previous awnings! (Khyam Motordome and Royal Traveller)

dx
Well it's a lot smaller than my previous awnings! (Khyam Motordome and Royal Traveller)
I have never had a driveaway awning before, so my point of reference is my 2 man backpacking tent which has a packed length of 47cm, diameter of 17cm, and weighs 3Kg.

decided to go for the idris just need to find the best price.. many thanks for all the replies

Thanks. And at L78.0 x H35.0 x W37.0cm its not small! I'm struggling to justify getting one of these with just the two of us.
I think that an awning is close to essential for a Beach and four people with two dogs who plan serious trips away. For two people in an Ocean it would be more of a luxury, but what a nice luxury it would be, a conservatory rather than a living room and kitchen.

I think that an awning is close to essential for a Beach and four people with two dogs who plan serious trips away. For two people in an Ocean it would be more of a luxury, but what a nice luxury it would be, a conservatory rather than a living room and kitchen.
You made me chuckle. The idea of a conservatory on a Cali! lol!!

You made me chuckle. The idea of a conservatory on a Cali! lol!!
That's just the way I imagine two people in an Ocean would use an awning: for drinking coffee and reading the Sunday morning papers.

Quite different to two adults, two toddlers and two dogs in a Beach awning: one boy screaming on the potty in one corner; dirty washing up in a bowl in another corner; toys strewn across the groundsheet being chewed by one dog; dogs' feeding bowl and drinking water mingling with various dummies and comforters; chairs and table pushed to one side causing an obstruction to the exit; unstable double gas burner with boiling kettle being played with by other boy while other dog licks the snot, jam and eye bogies from his face; mum sitting on a blanket on the floor on the phone to her mum complaining about her useless husband; dad sitting in the Beach with his nose in the manual pretending to be finding out vital facts about the adblue.

Last edited:
That's just the way I imagine two people in an Ocean would use an awning: for drinking coffee and reading the Sunday morning papers.

Quite different to two adults, two toddlers and two dogs in a Beach awning: one boy on the potty in one corner; dirty washing up in a bowl in another corner; toys strewn across the groundsheet being chewed by one dog; dogs' feeding bowl and drinking water mingling with various dummies and comforters; chairs and table pushed to one side causing an obstruction to the exit; unstable double gas burner with boiling kettle being played with by other boy while other dog licks the snot, jam and eye bogies from his face; mum sitting on a blanket on the floor on the phone to her mum complaining about her useless husband; dad sitting in the Beach with his nose in the manual pretending to be finding out vital facts about the adblue.
You're beginning to convince me that a DA awning, sorry conservatory, is a great idea!

It is. If you pay ÂŁ50,000 for a van, what's another ÂŁ500 for an additional room?
OK, warming, but I am worried about the amount of space the folded thing takes at L78.0 x H35.0 x W37.0cm............Assuming a Vango Kela III Low Inflatable is a good choice. Also we would be more often than not staying in one place no more than two nights so time and faff to put up and take down may be an issue for us too.

Quite different to two adults, two toddlers and two dogs in a Beach awning: one boy on the potty in one corner; dirty washing up in a bowl in another corner; toys strewn across the groundsheet being chewed by one dog; dogs' feeding bowl and drinking water mingling with various dummies and comforters; chairs and table pushed to one side causing an obstruction to the exit; unstable double gas burner with boiling kettle being played with by other boy while other dog licks the snot, jam and eye bogies from his face; mum sitting on a blanket on the floor on the phone to her mum complaining about her useless husband; dad sitting in the Beach with his nose in the manual pretending to be finding out vital facts about the adblue.

Sounds like a carbon copy of every trip we've had in our Beach so far...I'm so glad i'm not the only one :thumb

OK, warming, but I am worried about the amount of space the folded thing takes at L78.0 x H35.0 x W37.0cm............Assuming a Vango Kela III Low Inflatable is a good choice. Also we would be more often than not staying in one place no more than two nights so time and faff to put up and take down may be an issue for us too.
I'd disregard the time and faff putting it up and taking it down. It will be troublesome the first few times, but soon you will become quite adept. The size is a more serious issue, however, if you are just two in an ocean, can't it sit on the rear bench seat, held in place by seat belts or bungees, or on the floor in front? As soon as you arrive on site, it will be the first item out of the van, and when you pack up, it will be the last item into the van, so it should never be in the way except when you pull into an aire to make a mug of tea, then it can go upright on the front passenger's or driver's seat.

For us, packing for two adults, two toddlers and two dogs for a whole year, the size is a much more serious issue. I have absolutely no idea how we will pack it all away.

If space is a problem you can get awning sides for the roof mounted roll out awning. This gives you a large room with vertical sides, 2 windows and a door. Comfortz are one of the companies that sell these. They fold down into a smallish bag about 1m x 600 x 20 or less.
The downside is you have to take it down when you want to drive away in the vehicle and you have to be aware of high winds and secure it well. The extra fixings do make the roll out awning a lot more stable in windy conditions however.
My advice would be to buy a cheap awning and see how you use it. You might find a different way of achieving what you want to do depending on how find you use the Cali.
When I go away on my own I take a very small tent with me which I pitch near the van. I put all the stuff that I don't need in the Cali in there so I have more room to move.

Last edited:
I'd disregard the time and faff putting it up and taking it down. It will be troublesome the first few times, but soon you will become quite adept. The size is a more serious issue, however, if you are just two in an ocean, can't it sit on the rear bench seat, held in place by seat belts or bungees, or on the floor in front? As soon as you arrive on site, it will be the first item out of the van, and when you pack up, it will be the last item into the van, so it should never be in the way except when you pull into an aire to make a mug of tea, then it can go upright on the front passenger's or driver's seat.

For us, packing for two adults, two toddlers and two dogs for a whole year, the size is a much more serious issue. I have absolutely no idea how we will pack it all away.
You certainly have given me a few things to think about and I take on board your space management ideas. July will be crunch time as I will be in France having to play host to some friends (2) who live there. I think that SWMBO will have last say on this matter!

If space is a problem you can get awning sides for the roof mounted roll out awning. This gives you a large room with vertical sides, 2 windows and a door. Comfortz are one of the companies that sell these. They fold down into a smallish bag about 1m x 600 x 20 or less.
The downside is you have to take it down when you want to drive away in the vehicle and you have to be aware of high winds and secure it well. The extra fixings do make the roll out awning a lot more stable in windy conditions however.
My advice would be to buy a cheap awning and see how you use it. You might find a different way of achieving what you want to do depending on how find you use the Cali.
When I go away on my own I take a very small tent with me which I pitch near the van. I put all the stuff that I don't need in the Cali in there so I have more room to move.
Some great thoughts here, thanks. I think the route we go will depend on how we get on in the early days out and discover how much luxury (non essential!) stuff we take/will need. Its going to be an interesting journey.

Back