Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning channel

Gina-B

Gina-B

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Afternoon all. The wind out awning on my new Ocean 6.1 is fixed in a channel on the body of the vehicle, as it is on all 6.1's I imagine. I notice that there is an identical channel on the other side of the vehicle. Does anyone know if this serves a purpose. Does anyone use it for anything. I can't imagine that anyone would want an awning on the non-sliding door side. Or do they? Any other uses?

My topper has some elasticated eyelet things* that slide and in that side to keep the topper on.
Also, I use the same eyelets to attach a tarp from time to time.

* no idea what the proper word is, sorry!

Afternoon all. The wind out awning on my new Ocean 6.1 is fixed in a channel on the body of the vehicle, as it is on all 6.1's I imagine. I notice that there is an identical channel on the other side of the vehicle. Does anyone know if this serves a purpose. Does anyone use it for anything. I can't imagine that anyone would want an awning on the non-sliding door side. Or do they? Any other uses?
The awning rail on the nearside of the van can be used for a more basic awning. The type with a bead already sewn in or the more useful Kador strip that can be slipped into the channel and then the awning can be pegged out with 2 or 3 poles. Very useful in hot weather when more shade is required or in drizzly weather to keep dry.
The wind out awning is more useful and easier to erect but in some situations the extra awning is very useful and takes up little room when folded.

The awning rail on the nearside of the van can be used for a more basic awning. The type with a bead already sewn in or the more useful Kador strip that can be slipped into the channel and then the awning can be pegged out with 2 or 3 poles. Very useful in hot weather when more shade is required or in drizzly weather to keep dry.
The wind out awning is more useful and easier to erect but in some situations the extra awning is very useful and takes up little room when folded.
Thanks Jodalo. It just seems odd to have one on the side with no sliding door. But I suppose that if it's really hot on the sliding door side then an extra bit of shade on the other side might be good. Interestingly I have a spare shade awning with poles that I used to use on my T2. It wouldn't take much I suppose to attach a Kador strip to its top edge for use on the Cali. Thanks again.

My topper has some elasticated eyelet things* that slide and in that side to keep the topper on.
Also, I use the same eyelets to attach a tarp from time to time.

* no idea what the proper word is, sorry!
Yes, sometimes we have to invent words for things!! Thanks for that Swiss Cheese.

Thanks Jodalo. It just seems odd to have one on the side with no sliding door. But I suppose that if it's really hot on the sliding door side then an extra bit of shade on the other side might be good. Interestingly I have a spare shade awning with poles that I used to use on my T2. It wouldn't take much I suppose to attach a Kador strip to its top edge for use on the Cali. Thanks again.
Yes, there is a 3-way Kador strip available in the club shop if I remember correctly, that will allow a nice snug fit in the awning channel of the Cali.

the wind out awning is actually bolted to the roof and not just to that channel. the bolt holes and mounts are not there on the other side. the extra channel is very useful i find for holding roof toppers. washing lines etc

Back