Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning Decision?

Caligirls26

Caligirls26

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Everyone

We've finally decided on the colour for our new California, have chosen Olympian Blue, but unsure whether to have the black or silver awning fitted?

Have looked through the internet to try to find any Olympian Blue ones with either awning on them to help us make up our mind, but only seem to be able to find black awnings, no silver? Maybe thats our answer there?!

Wondering if any Olympian Blue California Owners who have a silver awning fitted would be kind enough to upload a photo of their Cali to show their awning to help us out?

Many Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

We have an Olympian Blue with a silver awning. Sorry, traveling at the moment, so the only picture I have is with the awning out.

I didn't spec the van this way, but I am pleased we got a silver awning rather than black.

My two-pence, if you have a standard van the silver goes well with the blue van, and matches the silver wheels. If you add the bike rack it matches that too.

Hope that helps,
Mark

Screen shot 2014-09-22 at 13.21.54.png

The Olympian blue berghaus have black side awnings fitted .. With all the black trim it seems to blend in more .

Or see if you could get it wrapped in blue to match van, do not know if it has been done

This is the courtesy van I had whilst my roof was repaired. It is blue - not sure if it Olympian blue or not though!

YM0B9660_zps7e48f8ea.jpg

Californiaman said:
This is the courtesy van I had whilst my roof was repaired. It is blue - not sure if it Olympian blue or not though!

YM0B9660_zps7e48f8ea.jpg

PS: Sorry I didn't read your question right.. to make up for it, I'll photoshop my silver awning onto this blue van later this evening!

On google image search you can filter based on image colour:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vw+ca ... c,isc:blue

This returns loads of images of blue calis - the majority do have black awnings, but if you page down a bit you can see some white ones for comparison.

Based on this scientific sample - I would suggest that if you want to appeal to the majority of people at resale time then go with black - I think it is cheaper as well :)

T

Thank you very much for all your posts, it's strange that the silver one is more expensive, will ask the dealership why?

We'll both have look through the photos & links later, great to have such quick response to my 3rd post on this Forum, this website has been so helpful in helping us with our California spec choices, so pleased we joined.

:thanks

I must say that our awning doesn't really get that much use as it is realistically just a sun shade. If I were buying again, I would just have a sunshade (I think they are typically described as 'sails'. A couple of cheap poles and some guy lines and, I reckon that would be pretty much as good - but cheaper to repair/replace, should the weather turn bad when the awning is out!

You could always add a full on awning at a later date.

Just an idea....

We use ours more when it is raining, it just keeps the ground on the way into the van that little bit drier.

Obviously you have to go with the slanty setup to let the water run off and some tie down ropes :)

T

For 4 years we almost never used it but since we got our tie down straps we use it all the time now, they give us the confidence to leave it set up when we go out.

Freeley said:
For 4 years we almost never used it but since we got our tie down straps we use it all the time now, they give us the confidence to leave it set up when we go out.

Hello, this might be a daft question, but what are the benefits of using a tie-down kit (e.g. the one in the club shop) compared to tent pegs through the little holes in the feet of the awning's legs.

We'd like to use our roll-out awning more having decided that our purchase of a Vango Kela was a little hasty.

Thanks

Think you just get more strength using a tie down kit - all to do with triangles and angles!

I don't have a posh tie down kit - I just use some spare tent guy ropes that I loop through the tops of the awning legs and then peg into the floor, but I am a tight git :)

T

I also have tie downs and am happy that it is secure in reasonable winds but I've never managed to have complete confidence that the pooling of water won't occur - and having once woken to a full awning that was sagging so much it almost touched the ground, we never leave it up in the rain when we're not about.

Californiaman said:
I also have tie downs and am happy that it is secure in reasonable winds but I've never managed to have complete confidence that the pooling of water won't occur - and having once woken to a full awning that was sagging so much it almost touched the ground, we never leave it up in the rain when we're not about.
I used to worry about that until we had a downpour earlier this year and saw it in action, with a good angle on the awning there was no pooling.
My experimentations led to my method which works well:
1. Wind out awning fully
2. Wind back awning a turn to tension the canvas
3. Set first leg slightly lower than the cassette height
4. Set second leg an inch or two lower than the first and voila! (works for me anyway)

The main difference btwn the two awnings are that the silver was is designed to protect you from the Sun, it does really work well and is nice and cool when up in the van with this protecting the sunny side perfect if you like shade for you or your dogs.
I also use mine when it does rain as it stops the drips and rain coming in the van but create a slope on the awning so the rain does not catch inside and I do use the guide lines.

No they are different, we thought that when we were looking at the the silver one and the dealer told us it was very different, as it was designed as a solar awning to deflect the heat away. And that it does very well. There is a difference when you look at the material.( mine is Silver on the canopy material as well)
Ours was a extra in the Camping pack and it said solar Awning on the info.

It really does amaze me at how little, a number of dealers do not know about the Cali, we were told by one dealer that VW no longer supply the first aid kit on new vehicles, so we bought a first aid pack and then found one under the sink. We on our travels were told so many different things it was unbelievable really how little they knew.
I have seen other peoples awnings in black and the canopy is a different colour, even if it was not designed as reflective and the only difference should be the colour , the silver will reflect heat where the black will absorb heat so even if it is not meant to be different they do react different because of the colour, when you stand under a silver one and then walk to a van next door with the black it is a noticeable temperature change. :cool

teeboy said:
I don't have a posh tie down kit - I just use some spare tent guy ropes that I loop through the tops of the awning legs and then peg into the floor, but I am a tight git :)

T

I just get the butler to stand on the base. It gives him something to do whilst I am out lunching :crazy

did not even know there was a choice of colour..our Olympian Blue came with a black one we just specified the side awning!
I love it....but do worry when it gets windy and have been known to get up in night to wind it back in!!!! We also have the sidewall add on pieces which are great...though hideously expensive!

Hi

Could anyone tell me how much additional height the cassette adds to the roof of the Cali?

thank you

Tony

No extra height or width.
rob

Thanks Rob

I am still Phaffing around with my garage and the height is only a few centimetres to spare.

Tony

The awning definitely adds some height to the roof so make sure you check. And seeing as it's bolted to the side of the van it must add a bit that way as well though probably still less than the span of the door mirror.

Freeley said:
The awning definitely adds some height to the roof so make sure you check. And seeing as it's bolted to the side of the van it must add a bit that way as well though probably still less than the span of the door mirror.

Our awning doesn't add to the height although it does look like it does as the roof drops at the ends. I checked with a straight edge across the roof at it's highest point and the awning is the same height. Goes under 2m French toll barriers OK anyway.

Back