Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning fixings

dac999

dac999

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi Folks, we got our T4 Westfalia California last year & have had a few nice wee jaunts in it so far.
My son is doing Lands End - JO'G next month & we're going along as support crew!

Was thinking of buying a drive-away awning but am a bit stumped as to how it can fit to existing rails.

As you can see in pics we have a Fiamma F35 pro awning which is mounted to the Riemo rail but I cannot see any obvious connection point to the awning or any way of sliding a fig of 8 adaptor along the rails as brackets are in the way! Any obvious solutions? Cheers, Dave.

DSCF1206.JPGDSCF1207.JPGDSCF1205.JPG
ps - Sorry we missed the Glos meet, maybe next time.

DSCF1205.JPG

Hi Dave, have you tried winding the awning out a few inches, then lift up the lip (as if you were deploying the legs for it) and you should see the connecting rail inside the lid if the awning.

Hi Paul, you're quite right, there is a mounting channel once the awning is out but as it's a roll-out type & needs to be fully deployed before I can access the channel this means the drive-away kit will be at circa 2m from van leading to a hell of an air gap! I was hoping to attach to the Reimo rails but assume it won't work with Fiamma brackets in place? The only option is to mount it on the other side of van! cheers, Dave.
DSCF1212.JPGDSCF1213.JPGDSCF1214.JPG

This difficult to describe but I will try!

Our awning ( the drive away bit, not the rollout attached to the van) has a sleeve that is designed to have a rigid steel pole put through it onto which you can mount either clamps or suction mounts to attach to a van roof with no rails etc.

We put the pole through the sleeve & place over the top of the attached van awning so that the pole is sitting in the gap between the back of the awning casing & the van roof, we then use a loop of velcro that is pre attached to the awning to secure each end of the pole to the awning.

I believe all outsell awnings come with the sewn in sleeve, not sure about other makes. Its a far easier connection than faffing about with Kador strips & figure of 8 channels, especially if you do intend driving away.

Spot-on Andy, many thanks, best to keep it simple if possible!
Your solution makes sense so will look out for an Outwell type.
Cheers guys, am sure I will have more Q's to come in due course.

Back