Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning groundsheet/footprint/carpet

iballan

iballan

Vehicle
T6 Coast 150
First of all, thanks for a wonderfull webpage/discussion forum. As a Cali-beginner, this is absolutely an awesome ressource for getting information.

We have finally decided to purchase the Comfortz VW California Awning Kit instead of a drive away awning.
Link:https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-california-awning-kit-camping-room

The next point on our list, is to decide whether we need a footprint/ground sheet.

We have never had an awning without "floor"/footprint, so it is hard for us to imagine how it works.

On hard ground i think we will be advantage without "floor"/footprint, but we could imagine it would be nice to have a footprint/ground sheet when staying more than one night on grass.

We have seen this ground sheet the shop. It looks nice, but it is not waterproof.... https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/blue-diamond-treadlite-groundsheet-250x250
Would we need a waterproof footprint below?

I have been looking af different carpets/footprint products https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/awnings-and-accessories/carpet-footprints

What is your recomandations. What do other people do/buy?

In the UK, many campsites are now requiring a breathable footprint ground sheet to be placed under any waterproof ground sheet. This is because they are wanting the grass to remain healthy as long as possible during the season. A waterproof one will kill the grass it is laid on quite quickly leaving a muddy patch to be resown with grass seed.

I have cut down a cheap woven breathable ground sheet I bought from Aldi to fit the Cali wind-out awning footprint. Although it is not waterproof, it does reduce an lot of the mud that can be walked into the van, and is an easy place to kick off your shoes (if that is what you do) before getting into the van.

Ideally I should bind the cut edge which tend to curl up, but don't fancy broaching this subject with the sewing machine owner!

I get round that by placing this edge just under the van.

Alan

Ideally I should bind the cut edge which tend to curl up, but don't fancy broaching this subject with the sewing machine owner!
We did the same and the sewing machine owner even put some eyelets in the corners so that we can peg it down.

From the offcuts we made a small piece which we use under our coolbox which we keep outside at night, which keep the bottom clean and drier than simply putting it on the ground.

Thanks so much for your input.

Aha, i understand the idea of breathable ground sheet. This makes sense, and for sure we would like to keep the pitches green.

What are the aproximately footprint measurements when using the Comfortz Awning kit on a Thule T6 roll-out-awning?

I would still like to hear from others that have tents without floor.

We did the same and the sewing machine owner even put some eyelets in the corners so that we can peg it down.

From the offcuts we made a small piece which we use under our coolbox which we keep outside at night, which keep the bottom clean and drier than simply putting it on the ground.
I wish my machine owner was so accommodating;)

Back