Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning in the rain

So what is the bracket I need to get then?

When you buy the new awning you need to buy the fixing brackets. Or are you talking about the fiamma rafter?

To try and clarify, this is what you get with the Fiamma curved rafter.

Two plastic caps, one for each end. Fiamma obviously intend it for use with other makes as the caps aren't needed for use with the Fiamma awning which has brackets for the rafter to hook onto at both ends like this.

With the VW/Omnistor awning using the rafter with the plastic caps on, the van end sits fine in the awning casing although I guess it could slide down to the bottom of the casing unless it's packed up. The outer end is OK but doesn't sit quite so well..
Best bet is try one and see if you are happy with it.
Hope this helps.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Follow-up on the trial of the expanding pole (ÂŁ6 from Screwfix). After some gentle rain there was still a collection of water but in two small puddles and much, much less than if the pole had not been in place. I think that whilst the pole would not stand up to a heavy load it does not allow too much water to accumulate in the first place. I may fashion a little lip on the awning with Sugru to more accurately place the pole. The overnight shower was unexpected and we did not do the usual dropping of one of the supports and perhaps now don't need too. I'd still take the awning in if a deluge threatened however.

The light is also excellent and if anything too bright and we resorted to more subtle candle light, but if we had been reading or doing anything practical the overhead light would be excellent.

We have a Fiamma which we double peg the feet and aLSo use a 'rain blocker' a sheet which sIdes into the groove on the front edge and is pegged down at 3 points. We set the awning at an angle at all times for the rain, just don't open the drivers door and mind your head.
We have this set up now and, on a protected camp site like the one we are on now it works well. However, on a lot of sites I roll it away at night because the wind can get under it and lift it and at can also flap. When that happens you have to get up in your pyjamas and roll it in, not too clever if you have to pull up pegs and if it is cold and wet as well!
We got the rain blocker from Fiamma although I have not seen them advertised recently.

We have a cheap drive-away canopy awning. In a torrential downpour in Italy, we fixed a string to the front of the canopy with a clothes peg, and tied it down to a full water container to pull it down in the centre front so water would drain off that way.
Since then, copying another van we saw, I made additional holes (with eyelets) in the centre of the sides and front of the canopy, and we now have an extra (higher) pole at the front and an extra guyline each side.

We have recently bought an Awning kit via Nick at Comfortz Leisure - it has enhanced the enjoyment and capabilities of the van massively. Up to now we have been lucky and only used the kit in good dry weather. Off to the Lakes later this week and predictably the forecast is for heavy rain at some point. I understand it is good practice to have one support leg lower than the other to allow rain to drain off the Awning - any other advise as I am unsure of the Awnings limitations.
One leg shorter than the other works fine, but it needs to be a significant difference. The puddle builds up quickly if you forget to do the legs before it starts to rain. I did forget last month and got half a gallon of cold water down my collar!

Don't know about the official tensioner but the cheap option does not and might be a pain to store. Its stated at 1400mm - 2500mm, though not measured, and is almost at full extension when used.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/extendable-shower-curtain-rail-white-1400-2500mm/89747

We had a bit of heavier rain over Saturday night than expected but had taken the precaution of dipping one of the legs and had no appreciable water build up just the usual puddle on the floor from the run off.

The awning correct name is sun canopy, it is not designed to be used it rain

The awning correct name is sun canopy, it is not designed to be used it rain
I note what your saying but if that is the case why do the manufacturers sell so many accessories such as sides, tie down kits and extra roof struts. Obviously it is not for use in storm force winds and rain but should be able to cope with normal weather variations.

Never had a problem with the VW awning in the rain. Conversely it was sun that was our problem (and a few others I believe) when the heat melted the glue in the seam and it started to fall apart. Now have a Fiamma which doesn't have the seam.

Back