Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning in the wind

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have had our California now since mid October, and whilst we have not been away in it nearly as much as I would of liked, I have enjoyed spending the last month or two adding the missing spec we sacrificed for the right colour, engine size and of course price!

Our latest edition is a black wind out awning. Having fitted it today, I opened it up to put the two securing bolts in but it seemed to be struggling with the wind. As we got it second hand, I was wondering if I may be missing guy ropes or pegs etc? Or is it only to be used in calm conditions?

Loving the look of it and along with our new Cali bike rack and parking sensors, we nearly have all the spec we wanted and the coulour within our limited budget :)

Thanks for advice in advance,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew when you order the awning with the Cali you get a couple of pegs to peg it down
These are not that great to be honest . you can buy an awning tie down kit basically a couple of straps to peg it down. Common sense will tell you to wind it in if its going to be to windy.
I have the awning sides that peg down in several places holding it firm so I don't bother with the tie down kit. Hope this helps

Hi
I made my tie down out of two bits of , 3x7 inch alloy plate about 1/4 inch thick. (Scrap yard)
Drilled three holes ,one in the middle for the ring bolt --( can be made out of a bent bit of rod )and two near the end for the 8 inch screw pegs. Four pegs in all.
Bought some orange coloured ratchet straps to hook into the eye bolt, all very light to carry.
I use a cordless drill to screw them in------ hard or soft ground, usually screw them so they go in at a dovetail angle.
Very quick to do and in gale force winds have stood the test.
Cheap compared to a broken awning and other damage.
Vw pegs are O.K. for other uses
Cost about £20
Richard.

There is also the Brandrup version http://+++++++++++++++++++++++/product.p=414 which I was going to get but the Oministor kit in the above link looks proper!

IMHO, if in doubt, wind the awning back in.

If it cuts loose the damage to the van could be significant, like a bent side panel.

I never leave my awning wound out whilst the vehicle is unattended. I don't really like leaving my awning up at night either. If I do, I tend to have a short awning (say 1m) that is just designed to keep any rain off the side window

But I am a scaredy cat.

Back