Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning leg probelm

D

DrSunshine

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello all

Only picked up the new Cali 2 days ago and already a problem. Thought I'd post and (a) see if anyone had a similar problem and (b) check the advice on whether I should allow this to be repaired or insist on a new awning.

Basically, the retainer that holds the leg in the folded up position is positioned off centre and too far to the left. this means that the spring on the left leg is compressed so far that it is impossible to push it in further to clear the retainer. The right one depresses and comes out easily. My theory is that when these things are made, they fold the legs up, then screw the retaining clip into the aluminum frame with a self-tapping screw. Incredibly, to get it as wrong as mine appears to be, they must check the position by eye. Consequently, I don't believe the leg has ever, or could ever be released without unscrewing the clip.

I was tempted to screw the clip out and see if I could move it about 10mm to the right to allow both legs to work, but really, why should I? Have emailed the dealer and we'll see what happens.

Any thoughts? New awning or allow a fix (which I'm sure is possible).

Chris

Are you sure the leg is fully slided in ....or nothing blocking the leg to slide fully in?
If it is to long it would not fit the space.

For sake of the hassle the drive the waste of breath and an "I told you so" I think I would just move the clip and get on with enjoying it.

Annoying indeed but, I would just get it sorted via a fix and move on. If you've ever seen a "quality hand built car" you'll realise that it is all about character! (I visited the factory where the XJ220 was built many times through the build and I can say with confidence that I two were the same!)

Don't forget VW don't build the Awning. They just fit it.

I would double check the leg that doesn't appear to fit first. In these days of mass production I would be very surprised if the retainer thingy was fitted purely by eye. It's much more likely that the retainer fixings were predrilled in a jig before assembly and are therefore in the same place on every Cali. Do you know anyone with the same awning so you can compare?

If you can't get it to operate as it should it is best to take it back and dump the problem in the dealers lap.

Dear all

Thanks for your replies. Had the Cali back at the dealer today and yes, my assessment was right. The clip had been fitted 15mm to the left of where it should be, over compressing the left leg spring and making it impossible to release. The garage re drilled the hole and refitted the clip centrally. It is working fine now.

Unfortunately, on the way to the dealer, I developed a new problem! A gearbox fault. It is a DSG and wouldn't engage the even gears in auto or manual. I'll ost seprately about this. I'm not having much luck on only day 3. :mad: