Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning legs

S

swigle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Had my Cali 9 weeks now, so not had the best of British weather to try out the awning.

So first attempt to use the awning is during my current 2 week holiday in Spain/France ... and I've not figured it out yet!

My issue is the locking lever on each leg - it is awfully tight, to the point that I can't get it to lock - I'm too scared I'll break the lever by putting too much pressure on it - after all, it is just plastic, and does seem a bit flimsy.

Or am I being over cautious? Is there a knack to it? Will it loosen up with use (once I work up the courage to force it to lock in position the first time)?

Cheers
Steve

Hello

I had exactly the same issue and with my dec 2011 build and took the van back. I bought a pre-reg so assumed that the mechanism was broken when I picked up the van.

They are just very stiff when new. I know that it will feel heavy handed opening the lever with so much force, but that is what the dealer told me to do and after about three stiff openings mine now operates how you imagine it ought to

To play safe, take it to your dealer to sort out, but my guess is that they just applied a bit of brute force that I was too nervous to do myself

Ours was just the same. Dead tight at first. It has got a lot better with use.

Cheers for the replies guys - I'll be a bit more confident in applying brute force ... when the weather dries up here in France - still the 12 bottles of Sancerre just purchased should help pass the time!

swigle said:
Cheers for the replies guys - I'll be a bit more confident in applying brute force ... when the weather dries up here in France - still the 12 bottles of Sancerre just purchased should help pass the time!

Yum - my favourite white! :D

All working now!

But you really do have to apply a LOT more pressure than you'd expect to get the clip to loosen up.

You are right to be cautious, ALWAYS peg the awning or you could have the same problem we did. Some years ago we stopped in the Loire valley for lunch, there wasn’t any wind so we didn’t peg the awning legs. As we were packing up a gust came from nowhere and blew the complete awning right over the top of the van.

We had a careful drive back to the UK and fortunately it was repairable when I got home.