Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning (mini) disaster in the wind... in Snowdonia - advice please

Tigger

Tigger

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all,

Learn't a lesson the hard way today and went away from the Cali leaving the awning out & not tied down. When we came back our lovely campsite neighbours told us that the wind had caught it, there'd been a blooming great pop/crack sound and they looked out and saw the awning up vertically leaning against the roof.

Bless them, they got it down, wound it in and secured it with cable ties. It didn't fall down. As it's dark and raining it's difficult to tell conclusively if there's been any paint damage. Fingers crossed...

On inspection, both awning brackets are knackered, with rivets popped. We will need to be removing it before driving it anywhere - this looks simple to do, although winding it out to remove the bolts may be challenging as one end is not properly attached, just cable ties.

It looks like the side rail (the one you attach stuff to) may have been pulled out by say 1mm exactly where the awning is attached.

What else do we need to look out for? I'm assuming we will remove the awning before attempting to lower the roof tomorrow morning in case it gets in the way of the roof. The roof look straight

Can anyone recommend a good vw cali dealer close to Snowdonia (preferably en route to Bath as we're heading home tomorrow). I'd like to get it checked out asap as I'm worried we might have done more....

Very cross at being so stupid.

All advice very gratefully received.

Tigs

Hopefully the damage is minimal.

Closest dealer is North Wales Van Centre in Llandudno Junction just off the A55, tel 01492 585700, ask for Anthea.

If you pop out the panel next to the underseat drawer you should be able to slide the awning in there alongside the kitchen units (assuming you have the SE/Ocean).

Good luck!

We had exactly the same happen to us on Anglesey a few weeks back. See elsewhere on the forum. We ordered new brackets from VW North Wales in Landudno Crossing by phone and picked them up next day. Changed them ourselves on their parking lot and hinged our awning back on.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

We had exactly the same happen to us on Anglesey a few weeks back. See elsewhere on the forum. We ordered new brackets from VW North Wales in Landudno Crossing by phone and picked them up next day. Changed them ourselves on their parking lot and hinged our awning back on.

Hmm, I couldn't find much else in the way of posts about this issue. Was anything else damaged with yours? And how much are the brackets?

Sorry, Llandudno Junction. Our topic was "VW Dealer in Wales?". Only the brackets were bent/broken. Their construction is such that they are supposed to when this happens to avoid further damage to the roof or car. They were original VW parts, and cost some GBP 100. Be careful to order the right part numbers: front and rear brackets are different. They are easy to exchange.

Thanks bvddobb - just out of interest, where did you manage to get hold of the star shaped fitting to get it off with? (asking just in case the answer is in some secret toolkit in the Cali that I don't know about!)

Feeling less worried - thanks guys.

It is probably a Torx fixing, can't get to my van at the mo to have a look.
Readily available from such as Halfords.

Alan

We carry a set of torx screwdrivers in our van since there are many torx screws in the Cali. We bought them in some builders market I believe. They didn't come with the Cali.

Last edited:
Can't tell how old your van is from your details.
If you have VW assist why not ring them as they may help esp as you can not drive as it is.

Terrible thing to happen , seems two times in short periode ...in Wales! Windy overthere...
Glad i had no problems when we where there last month.

Can't belive some don't even know what torx keys are . I carry them for years in my toolbox at home and in the car.
Had a few people Questioning the things i take allong in my topic "inside the Hotel California" , now they can see why it is good to be prepared . Ok one can always buy them if needed or ask someone to help on the campsite.

Shame it happend but do think leaving the awning wind out and unsecured behind while away is looking for trouble.
You will not have this happens twice i'm sure.

Hope you sort it out and still can have a great trip.

Let this be a lesson for everyone of us !

Sorry to hear about your problems with the awning. If you are heading back towards Bath you could try South Hereford Van Centre, Centurion Way, Roman Road, Hereford HR1 1LQ. Tel 01432 376264. It's about 2 hours from Snowdonia and would add about an hour onto your journey back to Bath.
Quite a few of us have got our Californias from there and have found them very helpful. At least you would be heading towards home.

Hopefully no damage to the van and a repair to the awning will do it.

Added Torx keys to the ever growing pile of stuff.

Will make up a rattle free tool box when I get the Cali and see exactly what I might need. Unless someone already has?

Mike

I do know what Torx keys are, just not whether there were any in the toolkit buried under a pile of stuff! And yes, I agree it is entirely obvious that an awning acts just like a sail, we just forgot to use our brains ;-(

Fortunately, it does seem to be just the brackets that are bent, we dropped in to the South Hereford Van centre to get it checked out.

If anyone else needs to stash the awning in the van...... through the ski hole under the back seat is not quite long enough until you put the passenger seat forward and then rest the front of the awning on the bottom housing of the seat.

(also adding a torx set to the list for the van)

I do know what Torx keys are, just not whether there were any in the toolkit buried under a pile of stuff! And yes, I agree it is entirely obvious that an awning acts just like a sail, we just forgot to use our brains ;-(

Fortunately, it does seem to be just the brackets that are bent, we dropped in to the South Hereford Van centre to get it checked out.

If anyone else needs to stash the awning in the van...... through the ski hole under the back seat is not quite long enough until you put the passenger seat forward and then rest the front of the awning on the bottom housing of the seat.

(also adding a torx set to the list for the van)

I had a near miss up in Snowdonia last year even with 4 rock anchor pegs through the awning feet. An unexpected gust of wind lifted the awning and pulled out the rock anchor pegs.
I now use the Fiamma awning tie down kit, Comfortz sell it, every time I put the awning out and especially if I go away from the van. There is a spring built into it which allows the awning to move a little, but it holds it firmly. We have the Comfortz sides on ours and use the space as a night time overflow to put things when we need space inside the van.
Pleased to hear that it seems to be not too seriously damaged. Simon

Last edited:
Did the same foolish thing with our awning a month ago at the Vintage Volkswagen Meeting at Lavenham. Unfortunately it's on a high-top and bolted to the side of the van. Complete awning trashed by a sudden torrential storm and some damage to the roof of the van. The roof was 'fixable' but the experience cost £500 for a new awning:eek: and that's with doing all the work myself.

Lesson learned the hard way, don't leave the awning out when not in attendance even if the weather looks OK.

Rod

Sorry to hear this, saw your message quoting my experience on another thread.

If it was just the aluminium connecting brackets then you've got off lightly, my brackets were if anything too tough and I ended up with bent / twisted back plate of the awning cassette which took a bit of straightening out...

I then ended up with the wrong replacement Fiamma brackets too first time around - next time I think I'd drive to a dealer and just say "take my money, just fix it"!

Anyone had wind damage when using the Storm Kit (extra straps, securing the front of the extended awning)?

Anyone had wind damage when using the Storm Kit (extra straps, securing the front of the extended awning)?

No problems so far. I was trying to decide if the awning side walls caused more or less of a wind issue. Logically it would be more as there is now a larger area, except that you have an extra 12+ pegs into the ground holding the awning down, all the sides have at least 4 pegs each. Also the wind is not able to get under the awning now and lift it up.
image0003.jpg
I put the Fiamma tie down kit on every time, it only takes a few minutes. Thanks to a tip on here a few twists in the webbing strap stops it vibrating and making a noise.

Oh, I use my storm straps turned 90 degrees to yours Simon... Ie I run them parallel to the awning sides

Thanks for this and other very useful threads on this subject, which have prompted me to take more care with securing my cassette awning.

I have the tie-down kit that came with the Club starter accessories set. It's just a single, wide, strap with D-rings for the pegs at each end. It's apparently intended to run from one end of the awning to the other. It's held in place by being tensioned against the cassette metalwork that forms the leading edge of the awning (sorry I don't have a picture handy).

Pros: It does seem pretty secure, and holds the fabric itself down, not just the legs.
Cons? It squishes the screen fabric quite a bit at the corners and I'm a tad wary it will damage the fabric over time.

Does anyone have long-term experience with this item or similar?

Oh, I use my storm straps turned 90 degrees to yours Simon... Ie I run them parallel to the awning sides
I don't suppose it makes any difference, I wanted to put the spikes into the grass for a better fixing. We had to pitch in that direction so I put the straps with the wind direction
Thanks for this and other very useful threads on this subject, which have prompted me to take more care with securing my cassette awning.

I have the tie-down kit that came with the Club starter accessories set. It's just a single, wide, strap with D-rings for the pegs at each end. It's apparently intended to run from one end of the awning to the other. It's held in place by being tensioned against the cassette metalwork that forms the leading edge of the awning (sorry I don't have a picture handy).

Pros: It does seem pretty secure, and holds the fabric itself down, not just the legs.
Cons? It squishes the screen fabric quite a bit at the corners and I'm a tad wary it will damage the fabric over time.

Does anyone have long-term experience with this item or similar?

Does it look like the one in my picture? I think there are 2 types from Fiamma. The original one like I have that will do a lot of caravan awnings as well as motorhomes and campervans, one long strap, one spring and two long metal pegs.
Also the newer shorter ones that clip into the Kador rail on the outside of the awning. There are 2 straps, 2 springs and 2 pegs with this type.
The longer one goes over the metal bars that wind-out underneath the awning rather than on the awning.
Fiamma.jpg

Last edited:
Back