Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning on hard standing

D

DavidRobinson

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My apologies, suspect this has been covered already ! Just bought our first Cali and have just taken delivery of a Vango Galli 111 awning. This comes with a built-in ground sheet and I have purchased an under ground-sheet protector.
Never had an awning so am wondering if it can be erected on hard standing. If yes do I remove the built in ground sheet and manage with a hard floor OR do I leave in the built-in ground sheet and put the protector in place ? Would appreciate any advice/comments-thank you.

Put the additional protector underneath. The Galli has a sewn in ground sheet so you can't remove it. get the carpet or some foam mats for inside as that also spreads the pressure points from the stones. The separate ground sheet bits that come with Galli footprint fit the gap between the van and the awning in the tunnel, and the other one outside the front door porch. Don't normally bother with those bits personally just use foam mats.
You will need some rock pegs for most of the hard standings and a good hammer. I use a lump hammer and heavy duty rock pegs.

Put the additional protector underneath. The Galli has a sewn in ground sheet so you can't remove it. get the carpet or some foam mats for inside as that also spreads the pressure points from the stones. The separate ground sheet bits that come with Galli footprint fit the gap between the van and the awning in the tunnel, and the other one outside the front door porch. Don't normally bother with those bits personally just use foam mats.
You will need some rock pegs for most of the hard standings and a good hammer. I use a lump hammer and heavy duty rock pegs.

Thank you appreciate the advice. Will pack my lump hammer and buy some suitable pegs.

Back in my Camping and Caravanning days I found that not using a groundsheet was best due to the cleaning/packing up process.
Where no option due to sewn in groundsheet 2 options were available
1 - use a smooth surfaced (not woven) heavy duty ground sheet that is easy to wipe clean.
2 - use cheap polythene sheet which was simply rolled up and binned.

Back in my Camping and Caravanning days I found that not using a groundsheet was best due to the cleaning/packing up process.
Where no option due to sewn in groundsheet 2 options were available
1 - use a smooth surfaced (not woven) heavy duty ground sheet that is easy to wipe clean.
2 - use cheap polythene sheet which was simply rolled up and binned.

My advice for anyone considering buying a drive away awning is to consider how they will fit on a standard pitch, which have 9m x 9m boundaries with 3m fire break gap between the next pitch. Consider the rules about how you park relative to the pitch marker (Cali front to right of marker, but many wardens allow you to park central to the marker if you have no additional car. The best way to do this is to draw a scale birds eye plan view of the pitch with your van/driveway awning in position. Need to allow 1m around the drive away awning for the pegged out guide ropes.

Such a sketches show how much open space is left to enjoy in fine weather and how close the drive away awning's main entrance/porch will be from the caravan park's road or the adjacent pitch's vehicles. Also consider how much sun you will be able to enjoy as it crosses the sky during the day. Drive away awnings once pitched usually allow you to enjoy the sun when it is in one position (compass direction). As opposed to just sitting out under the wind out sun awning that comes with the van.

This is particularly important if you intend to make use of hard standings as they tend to be much more regimented regarding their layout.

You may be surprised how limiting driveway awnings can be especially in good weather when you want to enjoy the outside. IMHO unless you need the space because you need to accommodate children then it's better to leave the drive away awning at home. You see many little used driveway awnings for sale and I believe it's because many couples buy them to find they are not worth the trouble to put up and take down. They take up too much space in the van and on a pitch. Less is so much more.

Last edited:
My apologies, suspect this has been covered already ! Just bought our first Cali and have just taken delivery of a Vango Galli 111 awning. This comes with a built-in ground sheet and I have purchased an under ground-sheet protector.
Never had an awning so am wondering if it can be erected on hard standing. If yes do I remove the built in ground sheet and manage with a hard floor OR do I leave in the built-in ground sheet and put the protector in place ? Would appreciate any advice/comments-thank you.
Be aware, some campsites do not allow groundsheets and some require it to be lifted for at least 12hrs every few days to protect the grass. OK if completely on a hard standing but it is uncommon to have a hard standing big enough to accommodate a vehicle and awning.

As mentioned some sites don't allow sewn in groundsheets but if allowed I would recommend the protective sheet to go underneath the sewn in one. I would also suggest either screw in or rock pegs and a lump hammer will be needed (drill with Hex adapter for screw in pegs). We don't have a sewn in groundsheet but use a breathable one with some outdoors rugs for comfort underfoot.

Back