Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning perforations !

Monty6

Monty6

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi. Fully wound out the awning on my March 2017 Ocean. Its been rattling, became very bad and took it to dealers on Thursday.
Suggestion was that it was not wound it hard enough. A short test ride later and all seemed well.
Rattle reappeared today. Tried pads where legs fit into the cassette but no better. Off to France on ferry tonight so cannot go back to dealer for a few weeks...
Would it out fully for first time and these obvious impressions, with one actual pin hole are evident. Almost staple spacing. Will be e mailing dealer and asking that a replacement is available on our return.

1. Any ideas what could be causing those "staple" impressions, please. Will take duct tape in case it tears on hols..
2. I have seen previous posting on rattly awnings but not conclusive on cause/cure - other than replacement.

20170828_134239.jpg 20170828_134239.jpg 20170828_134336.jpg 20170828_134347.jpg
Silly boy, but not had the need to fully open the awning til now.
Cheers

Seems to me it has been rolled in with something (falling from a tree ?) on top and squached while rolling in.

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Thanks for the reply, but it has not been wound out to that extent before. Only enough to check the legs etc and practise putting up a driveaway awning. So I have not presented any opportunity fro debris to fall on it.

Factory debris? maybe staple like you said.

Hi. Fully wound out the awning on my March 2017 Ocean. Its been rattling, became very bad and took it to dealers on Thursday.
Suggestion was that it was not wound it hard enough. A short test ride later and all seemed well.
Rattle reappeared today. Tried pads where legs fit into the cassette but no better. Off to France on ferry tonight so cannot go back to dealer for a few weeks...
Would it out fully for first time and these obvious impressions, with one actual pin hole are evident. Almost staple spacing. Will be e mailing dealer and asking that a replacement is available on our return.

1. Any ideas what could be causing those "staple" impressions, please. Will take duct tape in case it tears on hols..
2. I have seen previous posting on rattly awnings but not conclusive on cause/cure - other than replacement.

View attachment 25005 View attachment 25005 View attachment 25006 View attachment 25007
Silly boy, but not had the need to fully open the awning til now.
Cheers
Have you looked on top of the material?

Just checked. 3 tiny metal fragments that must have come out from the roller bit. A bit like shavings. Awning is creasing a bit when rolling back in. Doesn't look like it should be. On stop at moment for a cuppa.

If there are metal parts found on it , keep them for sure , check again afther driving and unwinding , could be the mecanism breaking down.
Go back to the dealer , that must be replaced imo.

Agree with replacement. Off on hols now. Thanks all.