Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

awning rafter

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
New Cali 2008 T5 owner here! I would like to get an awning rafter (experience with caravan awnings makes it seem a good idea). Can anyone tell me what make the awning on a factory fitted Cali is - or is it just a VW product?

We purchased ours from the club shop, the Fiamma one works fine for us and is easy to store when not in use, Nick does have the Thule ones but said they are a poor fit as there is no shoe in the factory awning.

New Cali 2008 T5 owner here! I would like to get an awning rafter (experience with caravan awnings makes it seem a good idea). Can anyone tell me what make the awning on a factory fitted Cali is - or is it just a VW product?
The standard awning on a Cali is Thule.

I'd suggest that you use it first as although I have used a rafter on a previously owned Fiamma awning I didn't feel that the Cali needed one.
On limited experience which may change in time but I adopt the if its worryingly windy don't open it attitude.

Just for information, Why do you believe you need an awning rafter?

I find after pegging the legs and fitting a guy rope on each leg, all using Rock pegs, then tensioning the awning using a 3 ton California as the anchor, then the awning doesn't flap even in a significant breeze/wind and with 1 leg shortened and 1 lengthened then rain doesn't collect at all.:thumb

Agreed with WG - the whole thing is very slim and lightweight (this does appear like the roof to be VW's aim) and when properly rigged has no need for another support.

We used to adopt the one leg shorter than the other but you can't do this if you have a safari room like many of us have, we now use a Fiamma rafter that works a treat to stop the water from pooling

Thanks all! I was thinking about the pooling issue, but will try without first.

The leg method works for us perfectly as we don't use awning sides, I guess you can't do that with a safari room so would need some kind of rafter

This is correct, although the California awning is made by Thule/Omnister the Thule rafter is not a very good fit as there is supposed to be a shoe within the awning to attach it to which is not within the VW California awning. All the Fiamma ones we sell we have never had a problem with.

Back