Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

awning rail

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I've given up asking VW sales. You guys are better.

There is an option for an "awning rail, silver" for £60 and also an "awning silver for £558." We want an awning.
Do we order both?
Or, does the latter include the former?
We will want to have a drive-away awning sometimes attached to the roll-out awning too. So maybe the "awning rail" is for fitting to the roll-out awning.

Grateful for any help.

Awning rail silver £60 is the rail that is fixed to the nearside of the Cali and comes in black as standard.
Awning silver £558 is the wind out awning that is fixed to the offside of the Cali. The black one is cheaper, depends on the colour of your Cali and preferences.

That options brochure is dangerous! It's hard to know where to draw the line. :crazy

Can these questions not all be put in just one thread please mods?

BeachMouse said:
Can these questions not all be put in just one thread please mods?

clue is in the title isn't it?
" Beginners
Have you just bought your first Cali? Are you thinking of buying one?"

thanks larrylamb

do people fit an awning to the nearside then? (aswell as the offside)

the brochure would be okay if VW had people that new their product that could answer your questions!

Not sure what to use it for, one driveway awning is enough surely. I take it you don't have an informed dealer near you, what area are you?

North Hertfordshire. And yes, not great support unfortunately. I do sympathise with them because there are so many options. If you have any recommendations on a dealer that knows their stuff I'd be very interested.

We haven't even got into the right Bluetooth or usb for us, but that is going to have to wait until tomorrow and a good nights sleep - if I can sleep with all of this stuff swimming around in my head.

I'm afraid the dealers I spoke to aren't near you, Swansway group. Spoke with sales guys at Liverpool and Preston before ordering with a knowledgeable chap Guy Vincent at Preston.

I know what you mean about your head spinning with stuff, there are some good posts on this forum about "must have" extras etc. you can get a bit carried away if you're not careful. I gained a lot of info by using the search box. Good luck.

acer said:
thanks larrylamb

do people fit an awning to the nearside then? (aswell as the offside)

I think the standard black awning rail is what is fitted to both sides of the van, then if you choose roll out awning, it is fitted at awning channel on drivers side and a bit of the original rail is still visible at the front.
We use a pop up tent for storage only, so to earn its place as a drive away awning on campsites I made up a waterproof nylon piece which velcros to tent and has piping which slides into awning rail on nearside. That way we can have free access to our sliding door and use the roll out awning if we want. I think any drive away awning could be attached to that side too if someone wanted to keep the door free.

image.jpg

Proper camping Looby! Improvised, adapted overcame!

I wondered if I could add something to the roll out awning cassette (this "£60 silver awning rail" maybe??) so that I could fully extend the roll-out awning and then attach my drive away awning to the fully opened roll-out awning. Does that make sense?

Sorry everyone, I've essentially asked the same question on 2 threads now.

larrylamb said:
Not sure what to use it for, one driveway awning is enough surely. I take it you don't have an informed dealer near you, what area are you?

My cali is fitted with both as standard, the nearside one is used when i fit the mutze roof cover.

John

The roll out awning has a slot in that will take the 6mm bead on a drive away awning
no need to buy anything else, so yes, you can have the rollout awning out witb the drive away attached

Is the awning rail (n/s rail) 6mm too, on a MY2019 California? Thanks.