soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So the awning rattles.....
Having a look, I’m sure my old one had a long piece of cushion around the centre of the clip. See pic.

Could one of you guys check yours and see if you have it please...???

B00A4A8C-63D9-4F75-BFE5-C1A0DF11F0A4.jpeg

Was something like this before

01BB49A5-6070-4A2E-AA1E-23B0D2BFB2C9.jpeg

Not on mine.

Anywhere down the length of the bar Welshgas...?
Im positive thats whats rattling and I'm sure the old van had this piece of cushion glued in place. Never had a rattle on the old van :confused:

Anywhere down the length of the bar Welshgas...?
Im positive thats whats rattling and I'm sure the old van had this piece of cushion glued in place. Never had a rattle on the old van :confused:
No, no padding. Occasionally I get a rattle, normally after I’ve wound up the awning on-site. I just wind it out a little and re-wind. No more rattle until next use of awning.

Mine is driving me crazy. This is a replacement awning and the Cali is no longer in warranty (although this one has only been on less than year)

Having spent a bit of time the other day that only conclusion that I have come to is that the wires in the awning arms are reverberating when the awning is housed. I have sent Thule a plea for help. (I'm so close to swapping it out for a different brand)

I can lightly single finger tap the underside of the awning and its similar to someone shaking the maracas! Stops at the middle and starts again along the other arm.

The wires would be under tension when folded so unlikely to rattle, have you trued the Rubber wrist bands that @Borris and @SimonB have put over the ends of the awning when closed?

Mine ended up being the two rubber blocks had come off. Thus the arm rattled against the body of the awning.
I will take a picture for you shortly PJ. It’s worth checking.

I went crazy with the furniture pads at the weekend. No good. The wires in the arm are the only possible source and my previous awning was replaced due to the same noise by VW. (Known issue?)

I'll unwind it at lunchtime and wind it back in.

You can start at one end of the awning with a light finger tap and work along the whole length of the awning to create the noise. Only stops in the middle of the awning.

I kid you not but sound like a slowed down version of these.

I went crazy with the furniture pads at the weekend. No good. The wires in the arm are the only possible source and my previous awning was replaced due to the same noise by VW. (Known issue?)

I'll unwind it at lunchtime and wind it back in.

You can start at one end of the awning with a light finger tap and work along the whole length of the awning to create the noise. Only stops in the middle of the awning.

Very similar with mine but I do need to thump it a bit harder (but still a lot less than a pothole or rough road hit). Also got lots of extra rubber pads which help a bit but dont solve the main rattle. My money would be on the wire inside the arms as well as. Even thought of squirting self expanding foam of some sort down there to damp it down but no going back with that option.

I have the Ikea felt furniture pads all over the place. Winding out and back at lunchtime helped. Needs a bit more of a poke but does still rattle.

It can only be the wires.

Yes I have also considered expanding foam

I have the Ikea felt furniture pads all over the place. Winding out and back at lunchtime helped. Needs a bit more of a poke but does still rattle.

It can only be the wires.

Yes I have also considered expanding foam
Ear plugs?:thumb

Drove out last night with the awning housed. What a racket. Came back with the awning left out 5mm. Bliss.

I've spoken to Rose Awnings and the wire tension arms are spring loaded. They have never come across any issues with these. They suggested checking the connection to the van. I've tried to load this without success during the rattling so dismissed this. Job for this weekend. It is tight though

Only concern is it I take the awning off I won't put it back on.

Sadly, I have felt pad separation as follows:

Awning legs at hinge / legs at centre bracket (small_4no total)
Arms to legs (large_4no total)
Arms to arms / arms to awning housing (large_10no total)
Arms over the bottom of the awning housing (small_4no total)

Update.

I left the awning out 5mm but decided it would be unwise to continue driving it like this. So I closed it without "nipping" it up and the noise has gone. So very happy.