Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning rattle

C

CaliforniaSteve

Steve B
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
My second hand 2016 Ocean T6 awning knocks when I drive over bumps and I realise that a rubber bumper is missing ( I can see the outline where it was stuck on the awning housing. Is it possible to purchase a new one as the sponge and duck tape temporary repair doesn't look good.

Same happened to me a couple of years ago (the side nearest the drivers door)
Only needed to cut out matching rubber pad and stick with quality glue
Just need to make sure the awning mates under slight tension when closing awning against rubber pad

Alan
My second hand 2016 Ocean T6 awning knocks when I drive over bumps and I realise that a rubber bumper is missing ( I can see the outline where it was stuck on the awning housing. Is it possible to purchase a new one as the sponge and duck tape temporary repair doesn't look good.

I should have added.....the awning doesn’t want to be over tight when meeting the pad, just use slightly thicker pad to make necessary adjustment

Sorry for above messy post

Alan

Alan Thanks. Where did you get the rubber material from to make the pad?
Steve

Steve It was some rubber I had laying around in the garage
I stand to be corrected but isn’t it the same on the left hand side of awning?
If so that would be a guide
You could source Halfords or the likes of B&Q to match up the rubber
Your not going to be needing much are you
Don’t think you will have any problems,you just need a dry warmish day
Will be nice be rid of that rattle :talktothehand
Alan

What i thought was an awning rattle isn´t, on mine.
I removed my awning for the winter and i heard
the same rattle today.
I think it´s the rear scissor hinge on the roof.

Steve It was some rubber I had laying around in the garage
I stand to be corrected but isn’t it the same on the left hand side of awning?
If so that would be a guide
You could source Halfords or the likes of B&Q to match up the rubber
Your not going to be needing much are you
Don’t think you will have any problems,you just need a dry warmish day
Will be nice be rid of that rattle :talktothehand
Alan

The rubber block missing on my awning is in the middle between the side supports when they fold up.
It looks as if it is similar to the rubber pads that stop the picnic chairs in the rear door from rattling around
Steve

What i thought was an awning rattle isn´t, on mine.
I removed my awning for the winter and i heard
the same rattle today.
I think it´s the rear scissor hinge on the roof.

I have taped a sponge in the housing that the arms rest against when wound in so and it seems to stop the knocking. I think it is the side arms that are rattling in the housing.
D\Steve

I have taped a sponge in the housing that the arms rest against when wound in so and it seems to stop the knocking. I think it is the side arms that are rattling in the housing.
D\Steve
Yes but i´m driving awningless at the moment so what i thought was
an awning rattle on mine, isn´t. I think i´m on the wrong thread.
I´ve so many rattles, i don´t know who to turn too.:thumb

Hopefully I have found out where the rattle is coming from on the awning..My first awning seemed to be rattle free but the new one supplied by VW 2 years ago just seems to have this annoying rattle when you go over bumps in the road..I was having a good look this morning and there are numerous parts that do rattle but it seems that the main area was the awning legs where they attach to the awning itself..These seem to be very loose and can’t be tightened as they are attached by a loose fitting rivet of some sort.
I have just put a piece of rubber around the arm.. wound the awning back in ..and no rattle..Let’s hope this has sorted the problem but I won’t be 100% sure until I find some bumpy roads..

F6EB7678-7ADB-48AC-BABD-954495A895A4.jpeg

154AE3AF-A3BD-4039-B31B-CD5D1CCB165D.jpeg

Hopefully I have found out where the rattle is coming from on the awning..My first awning seemed to be rattle free but the new one supplied by VW 2 years ago just seems to have this annoying rattle when you go over bumps in the road..I was having a good look this morning and there are numerous parts that do rattle but it seems that the main area was the awning legs where they attach to the awning itself..These seem to be very loose and can’t be tightened as they are attached by a loose fitting rivet of some sort.
I have just put a piece of rubber around the arm.. wound the awning back in ..and no rattle..Let’s hope this has sorted the problem but I won’t be 100% sure until I find some bumpy roads..

View attachment 62662

View attachment 62663
couldn't you just put some sticky pads there ? those that you get in packs to put on the bottom of furniture ? b and q sell them

couldn't you just put some sticky pads there ? those that you get in packs to put on the bottom of furniture ? b and q sell them
I didn’t put sticky pads on it because like I said I only found out the rattle This Morning..I have many different types of things to use without going to our nearest B&Q which is 15 miles away ..like I say I’m waiting to See if it’s cured it when I venture onto a bumpy road..Then I will stick something more permanent on it..until then it’s a piece of rubber.....

4 year old van, awning starts to rattle, ( I have the additional plastic anti rattle widgets, which initially stopped the factory rattle) , which has now returned and slight crease when rolling the awning away.

long trip coming up so defo don’t want the rattle so I decide to investigate.

open the awning 10cm or so, to check the location of the anti rattle widgets, which are still in place !

I notice the RH support arm is slightly lower than the LH one and quite close the the lower edge of the awning casing.

when I push the RH arm up it moves ?

opened up the awning a little more so I can see what’s what.

I notice when I push the RH arm up a gap appears in the bracket which secures the arm. Low and behold the bolts are loose, particularly the top bolt / nut , which has allowed the RH Arm to drop enough so it make contact with the casing intermittently which is causing the rattle.

13mm spanner, tighten the nuts, go to the other end to check the LH arm, although that has not dropped, the bolts are loose.

Rattle solved

photos of the offending parts below (photo 1 & 2 show the gap / no gap ) I pushed the arm up then tightened it with the gap showing, last photo highlights the two nuts at either end of the awning

simple fix and sanity for my long trip, so,bed the slight creasing.

I will apply some blue thread lock after my trip ( can’t find it ATM)

25D612DD-61FF-445B-B528-AB1F406E9BFA.jpeg

73C758AC-B41B-48C4-ADAF-7328754A336C.jpeg

EB7C896C-AD25-44BF-AF02-CEE068FFB66F.jpeg

A1767EB2-500E-4ACF-AF45-063761178091.jpeg

Last edited:
when I push the RH ran up it moves ?

opened up the awning a little more so I can see what’s what.

I notice when I push the RH arm up a gap appears in the bracket which secures the arm. Low and behold the bolts are loose, particularly the top bolt / nut , which has allowed the RH Arm to drop enough so it make contact with the casing intermittently which is causing the rattle.

13mm spanner, tighten the nuts, go to the other end to check the LH arm, although that has not dropped, the bolts are loose.
If it has been that loose you might want to check the positioning of the arm at the van end.
You want the gap between the arms at the van end exactly the same as the gap at outer end of the awning when fully extended. If they are not you will get creases in at the awning fabric when wound in & the cover may not shut evenly along its length.

If it has been that loose you might want to check the positioning of the arm at the van end.
You want the gap between the arms at the van end exactly the same as the gap at outer end of the awning when fully extended. If they are not you will get creases in at the awning fabric when wound in & the cover may not shut evenly along its length.
Cheers Andy,

I was starting to get creases when winding it back in, the adjustment has worked and it sits nice and flush with the casing when wound fully in

Back