Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning sides for less than 150€

rolandwilliams

rolandwilliams

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I have been looking into awning sides for my 2015 Cali and was astounded by the prices I saw both here and on other sites. I am thinking about buying a few large groundsheets and making the sides myself, which to me seems like an obvious and easy thing to do. I have not seen anyone else do this though, am I missing something? (yes, the aesthetics will be a little less but to save 100s of € I am willing to deal with that).

RW

Completely agree, many accessories are bafflingly expensive (but people will pay, so it continues).

I've just bought a Quechua Tarp for £20, plus two spare 2M poles & 2x additional guy ropes - they do amazing next-day delivery for free from the Decathlon website. Someone posted a link to some ingenious 'Tarp Clips' and bungees recently so I'm going to experiment with that, have a search for recent tarp threads, people are doing ingenious things.

Yup Quechua tarp is good value and versatile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincidentley, I'm going to try the sides from our old gazebo this afternoon before our trip tomorrow.

These posts don't arf make me laff!

We spend £60k on a van and then try to penny pinch on accessories which end up making the set up naff!

I agree some accessories are pricey (especially Brandrup) but they are really good quality and you virtually get your money back when you sell them used.

I for one have better things to do other than make my own accessories out of tat from Aldi.

I have been looking into awning sides for my 2015 Cali and was astounded by the prices I saw both here and on other sites. I am thinking about buying a few large groundsheets and making the sides myself, which to me seems like an obvious and easy thing to do. I have not seen anyone else do this though, am I missing something? (yes, the aesthetics will be a little less but to save 100s of € I am willing to deal with that).

RW
They charge these prices because they can. The are well made & worth the money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bought two of the brandrup awning sides and they are excellent. They cost over £300 for the two but they are going on my Cali which cost over £40k. They attach easily and securely and have a silvery outside surface to reflect away heat, in my opinion they are good value.

Last edited:

We spend £60k on a van and then try to penny pinch on accessories which end up making the set up naff!

I agree some accessories are pricey (especially Brandrup) but they are really good quality and you virtually get your money back when you sell them used.

I for one have better things to do other than make my own accessories out of tat from Aldi.

I'm going to try my gazebo sides just because I have them sitting in the garage. I haven't even decided its the setup I want, I might go down the drive-away awning route. Nothing wrong with experimenting before committing.

Laff all you like but it makes sense to me.

I hope you tarp-pikeys never pitch up next to me :eek:

This is like a thread on the Bongo forum ( I used to own a bongo) c,Mon guys we own £50k plus vehicles. It's like putting £8 lidl car mats in a Bentley.

It makes me laugh that anyone would spend 300+ quid for something that can be easily made for less than 50...

I tried making my own but couldn't get them to attach properly and they looked pants I bought Comfortz in the end.

This is like a thread on the Bongo forum ( I used to own a bongo) c,Mon guys we own £50k plus vehicles. It's like putting £8 lidl car mats in a Bentley.

If the owner likes those mats ....why not ?
I bought some realy expecive stuff from Brandrup, but some things are very cheap and good from Aldi , Lidl , Axion,...

I tried making my own but couldn't get them to attach properly and they looked pants I bought Comfortz in the end.

Pants ...like the inner topper...:upsidedown

Sorry! :D

If the owner likes those mats ....why not ?
I bought some realy expecive stuff from Brandrup, but some things are very cheap and good from Aldi , Lidl , Axion,...

We had some really nice pork chops from Aldi that we cooked in the van.:)

The key difference is they drive Transits and not Transporters ;-)

Pikey is an early C19 term for gypsy. It derives from their lifestyle travelling the turnpikes. It is generally now considered unacceptable because of its racist overtones.

I am unrepentant. My Lidl sunshade is perfect in practice. It's light, goes up and down in minutes, takes up very little space and didn't break the bank.

i-Z5m9cGw-XL.jpg