Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

awning tie down kit

K

keemjay

VIP Member
wevneed an awning tie down kit..had a nasty (and expensive) incident in the wind last year and really dont want a repeat! are there different types? best one? where to purchase?
many thanks!
KIm

I got the Thule kit , bought it afther first trip to Austria when Cali was new , had some rain and wind and did not feel comfortable with the awning out in bad weather.
So bought it when back home , never used it in between but got it with me all time!

The Forum used to sell a kit, which I've got, but I see they are not in the New Forum shop.

yes I too thought the forum shop sold them but couldnt see ..hence asking…
I dunno, might that Brandrup one might yank out of the rail in a high wind? I know awning shouldn't be out in high wind but you never know..weather can change whilst you are out etc..
think the Thule one is safer..
Thanks for help!
Kim

Fully recommend the Thule/Omnistor tie downs... Used them for years... All weathers, all the time.

Love the way they clip into the top of the legs.

Only thing I'd suggest is replacing the pegs... Although good, the ones that come with it tend to damage the mallet too much.

I've some very large pegs (10mm), strong in any wind.

ux_a12041000ux0496_ux_g03.jpg

Rgds
Mark

If properly angled and tightened the Brandrup type connection cannot pop out. That's my experience. Both will do the job except probably in gale force conditions.

Very tidy... much better than my bike inner-tubing...

Klm

What was the damage so we know how serious this can be? I had one side of the awning collapse due to rain pooling in the awning overnight and the wind picking up but it seemed to correct itself once I got the water out and rewound it.

Mike

Klm

What was the damage so we know how serious this can be? I had one side of the awning collapse due to rain pooling in the awning overnight and the wind picking up but it seemed to correct itself once I got the water out and rewound it.

Mike

Wind could get under awning, lift it up & the legs could end up hitting they side of the van doing a lot of damage. Could also possibly damage the two awning arms ?

We now use some extra strong bungies hooked into the awning slot in the front rail of the awning. The problem we found with just clipping into the legs is that is still leaves the actual awning rail free to rattle as it isn't held down tightly onto the legs.

This has worked well in quite strong winds and automatically retensions if you drop one of the legs to let water run off.
Less chance of tripping over guys sticking out as well.

Last edited:
I have also seen used on a motor home, a long strap run over the awning material, parallel to the van, and pegged down at each end. Keeps the fabric from banging about in the wind, but I can't track it down. May have been made by the owner. Has anyone else seen this?

Alan

I have also seen used on a motor home, a long strap run over the awning material, parallel to the van, and pegged down at each end. Keeps the fabric from banging about in the wind, but I can't track it down. May have been made by the owner. Has anyone else seen this?

Alan

These are readily available on the web. Trouble with them, to my mind, is that they put tension on the awning material which distorts & could get damaged in wind.

As a minimum you should have strong tent pegs bashed thru the awning leg feet if ever leaving the van unattended, or leaving the awning rolled out overnight.

I've also got the Fiamma tie-down kit (in yellow) since a single light gust of wind 'from nowhere' whipped up my awning vertical thru 90' on my previous van, slammed it into the popped top & sheared one of the aluminium brackets off completely.

Fortunately it didn't then scrape the whole side of the van on the way back down, but it badly buckled the back plate of the awning cassette itself & was a general PITA to rectify. I also had to get home from Fort William with an unexpected & unwieldy extra piece of luggage ...

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/fiamma-awning-tie-down-kit

IMG_5224.JPG

Last edited:
We now use some extra strong bungies hooked into the awning slot in the front rail of the awning. The problem we found with just clipping into the legs is that is still leaves the actual awning rail free to rattle as it isn't held down tightly onto the legs.

This has worked well in quite strong winds and automatically retensions if you drop one of the legs to let water run off.

That looks to be quite an effective catapult - with a 6 inch nail as the projectile.

Would be very concerned about the bungees launching off into the unknown. now as a system using non-elasticated cord with perhaps a small spring inline to act as a shock absorber then I think you have given me an idea .....

I'm not sure I've understood @briwy 's solution properly, but viewing the photos on my phone, It appears the bungees aren't doing anything other than trying to pull the pegs out of the feet. It may be stopping a rattle but is it giving any protection against' take off'?

Back