Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

awning warped ?

Tonio44

Tonio44

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there !
so I just collected my beautiful 2007 cali last Friday and drove it around 200k.
I'm very pleased with it but I noticed only after I got home that the awning doesn't fully retracts in the front :
IMG_20190914_104055.jpgIMG_20190916_080525.jpg
It is fully tucked in at the back so it looks like the frame is warped.
I did not find any thread about a similar issue in the forums so is it something uncommon and what should I do?
I must mention that I did not have a chance to completely unfold the awning yet so that is something I should check, but we opened and closed it on the first visit without problem and it look in good shape.

Thanks for your thoughts!

My 2010 does this sometimes, In my case the cause is the hinge at the top of the leg just stopping the leading edge cover from closing completely before winding into the van mounted cover. remedy wind awning out 300mm check and lift leg hinge into place so leading edge cover close correctly wind awning in and it should now seat correctly in van side cover.

Its not warped. It needs to be wound out fully and back in slowly,
if you have an extra pair of hands then get them to hold onto the
winding in side and ever so slightly pull it or hold it whilst you wind it in
allowing the far side to catch up a bit, then it should all pull in together.

You might have to try it a couple of times and also now when you wind it out
you might see a crease in the canopy but don't worry about that.

If you use an extreme tie down kit, then over tension the canopy, the awning front can look like a banana. It usually springs back to shape when wound back in.

Thanks all. This is good news. I will try to get help and put back the canopy properly

Thanks all. This is good news. I will try to get help and put back the canopy properly
Check that the Folding Arms, not legs, aren't loose and one of them has moved.

I think if the folding leg has moved it won't wind in. So loosen the legs at the none van end so they can move freely. Wind in the awning so the legs can slide freely and sort of set themselves in a position until the awning is closed. Then open it up again and tighten up the bolts on the legs at their new position. They don't have to move much at all to prevent the awning coming in properly.

I think if the folding leg has moved it won't wind in. So loosen the legs at the none van end so they can move freely. Wind in the awning so the legs can slide freely and sort of set themselves in a position until the awning is closed. Then open it up again and tighten up the bolts on the legs at their new position. They don't have to move much at all to prevent the awning coming in properly.
That looks like my problem. Will probably end up doing that. The seller told me they didn't touch it so that was not my first choice. Thanks again for all your inputs!

So I did change the bolts position which enabled me to realigne perfectly the awning end with its fixed base, but it did not solve the initial problem. It definitely looks like the fabric (thick plastic) is very slightly longer at the front which prevents it to pull the moving end all the way in at this end...
I don't see a mean to change that as the fabric is super thick. :Nailbiting

So I did change the bolts position which enabled me to realigne perfectly the awning end with its fixed base, but it did not solve the initial problem. It definitely looks like the fabric (thick plastic) is very slightly longer at the front which prevents it to pull the moving end all the way in at this end...
I don't see a mean to change that as the fabric is super thick. :Nailbiting
I'd try opening the awning out fully and measuring / checking the fabric both sides to verify that it's not equal. If it is not the same, then it should be obvious where it's come undone or stretched. You may be able to wind back in applying a bit of tension to the rear to try and reset it?
Could it have been over tightened, as Westfalia mentioned, and the gearing has slipped causing the imbalance? Maybe need to open it up - not something I have experience of but think it should be easy to do, if not, at least see where the problem is...

Gears are plastic & strip when overtightend rather than jump. I broke a tooth on mine. £80 to replace.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Also, fully unwind the awning out and check theres no debris on top that could get rolled up and cause the rear to 'tighten up' before the front...
I reckon this is correct. Its highly unlikely the lengths are uneven. Anything trapped at either end changes the expected diameter and therefore (x3.14) the circumference, so it gathers the canvas more quickly.

If it persists, and there's no debris / other cause / and you are out of warranty, you can cure it by placing a bit of gaffer tape on the 'long' side, to increase the diameter so it rolls in faster. I've done it. It does work but takes some faffing to get it in the right position.