Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning with quality aluminium poles....does it exist

David Bailey

David Bailey

Jaunty
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all

Hope the title above does not raise too many hackles....having tent camped for years we always had quality tents with DAC aluminium poles, you know the ones that you just shake out out to make up the pole which is completely smooth and seamless, rather than the cheap leave behind festival tent style with the the lumpy bits pole ends that get caught in the sleeve etc.

I do not want an inflatable for reasons or packed size and weight and also don’t see how huffing and puffing for 10 minutes with a pump is preferable to sliding some smooth poles. It’s seems a little emperors new clothes to me.

I know there ar opinions on whether an awning is actually needed but as there are four of us I can assure we do need done for longer stays albeit a compact one. Does such an awning with quality poles exist though?

Or you could sit and drink a beer while an electric pump blows up the tent......

BEE70CCD-B324-4148-A6CB-C904BF859C3B.jpeg 9D81206C-AF7A-469D-88D3-8BB4EDE23A79.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting awning, looks like polycotton? Who's the manufacturer?

Dutch company called Karsten. They’ve been making inflatable tents since the 80s.
I’ve been using the main tent for many years and will add the van connector as soon as they start producing them again after a factory fire now that I have the Cali.
Not polycotton, proper canvas.

Thanks, I look the look of those. Completely fed up with the poor design of our Vango Galli (in wet weather) and have been looking for an alternative. Prior to the T5 we've used an Outwell polycotton family tent has stood up to the most inclement weather. The Karstens look like they should do the same. I see there's a show on in Somerset towards the end of the month. I think we'll be there!

They’re pricey (and quite heavy) although so are the latest airbeam tents/awnings from the more well-known brands.
The quality is in a different league however, they are made to withstand any weather including force 10 gales and will last much longer than mainstream tents/awnings. They dry much quicker too!

Just peg out the four corners, attach a 12V heavy duty compressor (£20) and relax while your tent puts itself up.
When up to pressure, (50+psi versus 6 or 7psi for the Outwell/Vango et al tents that have much thicker air beams, Karsten ones are about 3 inches in diameter) just push it up into shape, peg out the guy lines and zip on the extra modular bits if you need them (we normally just put on the rain hood shown in first picture).

Mine’s been well used over the last 6 or 7 years and is still in perfect condition, no rips, no busted zips, no broken guy line anchor points, no water ingress, no damage to tub groundsheet etc.)

(I have no affiliation with the manufacturer or the UK distributor btw.)

Some of the extra bits shown below, the van attaches (with a connector bit) to the side where the bedroom tents are shown in bottom 2 images).

5321378A-EBE3-484D-87A1-33565E2A107B.jpeg D4B7143B-FC3C-4D2C-A4CD-80B6FACD959F.jpeg E014793A-AF75-42E3-B845-1CA7AFFAA33F.jpeg

A bit like a Cabanon tent - definitely not lightweight or easy to transport, but made for the job on a longer stay and in bad weather. Very nice.

Er, ok thanks, but back to the original question. Is there a - relatively lightweight, not inflatable - awning with good quality easy sliding into the pockets poles...anybody know of anything?

Er, ok thanks, but back to the original question. Is there a - relatively lightweight, not inflatable - awning with good quality easy sliding into the pockets poles...anybody know of anything?
Not particularly positive, I know, or possibly helpful, but avoid the Khyam pole threading awning like the plague. It was seriously substandard in all respects, and one of the poles split on the first outing and slashed my husband's hand. They gave us a full refund very promptly when we complained! We now have a Sunncamp lightweight and compact air awning. It really is no effort to pump up and is quick and easy, plus you don't end up in A&E :)

Apologies for going off topic. :Iamsorry If you mean the sort of poles shown in the image below (smooth aluminium with no bumps) then Outwell are still using them, this is a Scenic Road 200.

483BE98E-8759-4AA4-85BC-0C3092BFCD44.jpeg

I am thinking the market has spoken, and the pole awnings now occupy the cheaper end of the market only.

Oh sorry did not yet see your response, that out well looks good actually, worth investigating more I think. Light inside too importantly...thanks for that

Not particularly positive, I know, or possibly helpful, but avoid the Khyam pole threading awning like the plague. It was seriously substandard in all respects, and one of the poles split on the first outing and slashed my husband's hand. They gave us a full refund very promptly when we complained! We now have a Sunncamp lightweight and compact air awning. It really is no effort to pump up and is quick and easy, plus you don't end up in A&E :)

Totally agree, Khyam are very poor quality awnings nowadays, they used to be one of the market leaders when we first starting camping but we have had so many problems with our mototordome sleeper that we purchased last year, we are still fighting to get our money back.

You can some and see the quality of the Outwell awnings at our shop ( give us a call and let us know which model you are looking for)

What type of size are you looking for?

To give a bit more context we have used this for a few years, it’s huge, sleeps 4 easily, packs down small, and has lovely snappy poles. You just shake them out and the elastics pull them altogether automatically. We are thinking of just using that I creating a bodge to attach one of the door awning to the van....worried about campsites not allowing separate tents though

We have a sheltapod pod. Really easy to put up. They are not huge but give extra room for 4. The new ones are much improved on last years I believe.

Thanks, I look the look of those. Completely fed up with the poor design of our Vango Galli (in wet weather) and have been looking for an alternative. Prior to the T5 we've used an Outwell polycotton family tent has stood up to the most inclement weather. The Karstens look like they should do the same. I see there's a show on in Somerset towards the end of the month. I think we'll be there!
We also have a Galli and so far have found it to be very good although we have only bothered to connect it to the Van once. I'm curious, what aspects of the design you have found to be poor?

Yes, I ended up getting a sheltapod and using it this weekend. Good quality aluminium poles...tick...bit fiddly to put up first time but now that we know should be easy next time.

Handled pretty torrential rain and kept out kit dry in the inner tent, rain ran off the roof between the van and the main part of the pod once we figured to lower one of the poles...doh, before that collected in the middle of the awning.

Very lightweight and well made from quality materials, even the pegs are quality lightweight aluminium things. Versatile design that gives a lot of sheltered outside space inbetween the pod and the van...so lots of light.

There are a few extra bits unclear what they are for but will work them out next time we have a sunnier weekend.

Not really a one person job to put up as the poles have a habit of spring out of the connectors, but you wouldn’t use an awning if on your own I wouldn’t think...and maybe with practise and a bit of instruction reading. Handily the instructions are plrinted on the inside of the bag which is a nice touch.

Now that I know how to do it I am going to say it’s a 15 minute job to put up. A little fiddly but just what I was looking for I think given the size and weight convenience debate.

We also have a Galli and so far have found it to be very good although we have only bothered to connect it to the Van once. I'm curious, what aspects of the design you have found to be poor?

There's a discussion on this topic on another thread here, but in summary:
1. Rain collects on the tunnel due to poor design.
2. It can also, easily, collect on the roof.
3. There's a great big mesh vent at the back which can't be closed in cold, windy, weather.
4. Rain can also find its way between the footprint and the groundsheet. When you're leaving the Galli erected for a week or more in wet weather, you'll soon find the groundsheet material isn't 100% waterproof which results in damp patches under the carpet.

We also have a polycotton Outwell tent which is bullet proof in comparison.

Back