Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning with tie downs in wind

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
With the factory shipped awning, we have the tie downs from Thule. Just wondered what kinds of winds it take with the tie downs, when you you need to take it down. Thinking of getting a side panel room so would be using it bad weather, while ran would be fine, it’s the wind I am unsure about

The risk is that the aluminum frame will bend and buckle.

I'd suggest that anything above mid teens in MPH wind speed is too high for the standard awning.

We only use the pull out awning when calm. Anything more and we wind back in.

Yes we have the Thule tie down straps too.

I would consider the VW awning as a sun shade, or a drizzle protector, not a full blown awning. The wind can pick up quite quickly, and can be very powerful. A dented Cali and a damaged awning can be very expensive.

It’s never really safe to leave the awning out even with tie downs in high wind..We have the 3 sided extra room that fits onto the awning frame When all this is fitted it would literally take a hurricane to move it. there are so many pegs holding the 3 sides down ..Saying that if I knew it was going to be THAT windy I wouldn’t take the risk of damaging the awning just for the sake of winding it back in...And with the Extra room fitted and it rains the water tends to puddle in the centre...Although we have now bought an awning centre extending rail that fits in the centre....Now we get 2 puddles...lol..

Is it the confortz you have or the Thule room, I was thinking of the Cali tent as well .. so it’s much more stable in winds with the tent on ?

Is it the confortz you have or the Thule room, I was thinking of the Cali tent as well .. so it’s much more stable in winds with the tent on ?
We have the comfortz room..We bought it as soon as we got the van and find it absolutely fantastic..Cook in it when the weather isn’t so good and can store the loo in there too.

So it’s stable on a blustery day with all the pegs in, not a storm obviously, but a Lake District autumn day sort of thing ?

So it’s stable on a blustery day with all the pegs in, not a storm obviously, but a Lake District autumn day sort of thing ?
I can say that we have had ours out it some very inclement weather and yes we still use tie downs but in 4 years I have never really had any concerns..

We damaged our awning on our first camping trip 6 yrs ago, we had to have it replaced, after a sudden freak gust of wind on an otherwise still day. It was pegged down at the time.

We damaged our awning on our first camping trip 6 yrs ago, we had to have it replaced, after a sudden freak gust of wind on an otherwise still day. It was pegged down at the time.
I can understand that the awning left out on it’s own if not a good idea at all..But when the extra sides are all Velcroed together and the rest has 15 pegs in the ground it will not move in windy weather..But there’s windy and there is WINDY..You just have to use your common sense when it comes to this..The California awning is a hell of a lot stronger than on some motorhomes..But obviously you again need to use common sense..

Provided it’s well pegged, it can take a fair amount of wind. It can probably take more wind when a room is attached (provided the awning room is on 3 sides & doors are kept shut)

Provided it’s well pegged, it can take a fair amount of wind. It can probably take more wind when a room is attached (provided the awning room is on 3 sides & doors are kept shut)
Yes we always use the 3 pieces and zip up the door at night or when we go out anywhere..

With the factory shipped awning, we have the tie downs from Thule. Just wondered what kinds of winds it take with the tie downs, when you you need to take it down. Thinking of getting a side panel room so would be using it bad weather, while ran would be fine, it’s the wind I am unsure about
Even with it tied down and the frame holding firmly. A big gust of wind up and under your fabric (Ooh, er, Mrs) and it could tear, whether a little or completely blow off (ooh, er . . . . oh not again)!

Has that happen to you Elly ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The calicave has 19 ground pegs on the outside and 6 on the inside so 27 pegs !

We have the comfortz room..We bought it as soon as we got the van and find it absolutely fantastic..Cook in it when the weather isn’t so good and can store the loo in there too.
We have the comfortz room, great bit of kit

It’s never really safe to leave the awning out even with tie downs in high wind..We have the 3 sided extra room that fits onto the awning frame When all this is fitted it would literally take a hurricane to move it. there are so many pegs holding the 3 sides down ..Saying that if I knew it was going to be THAT windy I wouldn’t take the risk of damaging the awning just for the sake of winding it back in...And with the Extra room fitted and it rains the water tends to puddle in the centre...Although we have now bought an awning centre extending rail that fits in the centre....Now we get 2 puddles...lol..
We’ve been after a centre extending pole, were did you get it from please?

The club shop sells them. I keep meaning to buy one but it slipped from my mind with lockdown and no dog agility shows in 2020...

I actually bought it new on Ebay. It only cost me £25 so was a real bargain. It does actually work quite well but the one thing it is good for after you take it off is for cleaning the top of the Awning material. Just Tie a cloth onto the end and extend the pole and it gets all the leaves and bits off before winding the awning back in..Dont have to go round looking for 8 foot sticks any longer..

I actually bought it new on Ebay. It only cost me £25 so was a real bargain. It does actually work quite well but the one thing it is good for after you take it off is for cleaning the top of the Awning material. Just Tie a cloth onto the end and extend the pole and it gets all the leaves and bits off before winding the awning back in..Dont have to go round looking for 8 foot sticks any longer..
That’s was a bargain, thank you.

Back