Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awnings awnings awnings - packed down size!

S

Sleepytortoise

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I know there are lots of threads on awnings and I've read most of them! But couple of questions I haven't found covered

I think we've narrowed down selection to the Comfortz camping room but can't find a size and weight for it packed down. Does anyone know?

Any thoughts on whether we should put the Thule rain blockers back into consideration against the Comfortz?

I believe we have the factory fitted wind out (2016 ocean) so assume these would both be compatible?

We're 2 adults and 2 young children so mainly want extra room to keep the kids out the blimmin van when I'm trying to cook or pack up and somewhere to shelter out of the rain without all having to be cooped up in the van. Slightly worried about wind out filling with water in rain but hoping only an issue with heavy rain or overnight when we'd plan to drop a leg. Overall I think the Comfortz is a better option than a driveaway to limit space being taken up in the van when it's packed down and as a quick solution, albeit sacrificing the ability to leave something erected for storage when we pop out for the day.

Husband is yet to be convinced that we need any awning type thingy. So far we've managed without but three week tour of North coast of Scotland looms ...

I know there are lots of threads on awnings and I've read most of them! But couple of questions I haven't found covered

I think we've narrowed down selection to the Comfortz camping room but can't find a size and weight for it packed down. Does anyone know?

Any thoughts on whether we should put the Thule rain blockers back into consideration against the Comfortz?

I believe we have the factory fitted wind out (2016 ocean) so assume these would both be compatible?

We're 2 adults and 2 young children so mainly want extra room to keep the kids out the blimmin van when I'm trying to cook or pack up and somewhere to shelter out of the rain without all having to be cooped up in the van. Slightly worried about wind out filling with water in rain but hoping only an issue with heavy rain or overnight when we'd plan to drop a leg. Overall I think the Comfortz is a better option than a driveaway to limit space being taken up in the van when it's packed down and as a quick solution, albeit sacrificing the ability to leave something erected for storage when we pop out for the day.

Husband is yet to be convinced that we need any awning type thingy. So far we've managed without but three week tour of North coast of Scotland looms ...
I have just looked at a product called Sheltapod it is to big for me but the kids might think its fun.

The Comfortz setup goes into two bags. Ends in one, front in the other and the bags fit in the chairs in the tailgate so you dont lose any storage space in the van

With two young children and a three week tour of Scotland, I think you need a driveaway awning. Our boys are now 4 and 5, and over the past 30 months we have slept ~300 nights in the van as a family.

We carted both a driveaway awning and an awning room around Europe with us on a 12 month tour.

Overnight - nothing or awning room.
Two nights - awning room or driveaway.
Any period of more than 2 nights - driveaway awning.

Alternatively, take a gazebo type tent. The Vango hex hub looks good. Use it as a dining area, drying room, play area, bbq kitchen, dance floor, time out space, or anything else you can think of.

See our blog:
www.au-revoir.eu

The Comfortz setup goes into two bags. Ends in one, front in the other and the bags fit in the chairs in the tailgate so you dont lose any storage space in the van
Perfect! That's exactly what I was hoping someone would say. We already store a couple of small stools in the chairs in the tailgate but gives me an idea of size and should be able to find room relatively easy. Thank you!

With two young children and a three week tour of Scotland, I think you need a driveaway awning. Our boys are now 4 and 5, and over the past 30 months we have slept ~300 nights in the van as a family.

We carted both a driveaway awning and an awning room around Europe with us on a 12 month tour.

Overnight - nothing or awning room.
Two nights - awning room or driveaway.
Any period of more than 2 nights - driveaway awning.

Alternatively, take a gazebo type tent. The Vango hex hub looks good. Use it as a dining area, drying room, play area, bbq kitchen, dance floor, time out space, or anything else you can think of.

See our blog:
www.au-revoir.eu
We're not planning to stay more than 2 nights in any one location and for the most part wild or semi wild camping so don't think a driveaway or standalone is for us having looked at all the options. We have a gazebo/event shelter but not suitable for what we're planning for Scotland trip. Husband v against a driveaway awning taking up additional space. I think if we were to do a Europe tour and plan to stay anywhere for more than a couple of nights then we'd get a driveaway at that point.

We're not planning to stay more than 2 nights in any one location and for the most part wild or semi wild camping so don't think a driveaway or standalone is for us having looked at all the options. We have a gazebo/event shelter but not suitable for what we're planning for Scotland trip. Husband v against a driveaway awning taking up additional space. I think if we were to do a Europe tour and plan to stay anywhere for more than a couple of nights then we'd get a driveaway at that point.

Hi There,

Have been following this thread. What did you settle on in the end? I’m looking at these at the mo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk