The Blue Merle

The Blue Merle

4x4 joker
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
Hi everyone

I was after a recommendation on what drive away awning to buy, don't want anything big.
It's more for the dogs to sleep in and store bits. Want something easy to put up too.
Looked at just kampers retro one, and outwell do the new air type has anyone got one of these. Can they be fitted to the van over the top of my existing roll out awning. I used a safari room which attached to this last year but we had a few storms and I had to dismantle it in a rush in the middle of the night as I thought it would collapse from all the rain.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi senna750,

I am in the same boat. :thumb

Iv'e been considering the tent and bring the awning out option with a couple of wind breaks for side protection. It could work depending on how close the tent can get to the cali, I am a scout leader and have seen a Vango Avington 600 http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/6-person-tent ... n-600.html it does have side entry and a very large entrance so that could work.

Im not to keen on connecting to the cali and from the http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/motorhome-cam ... a-std.html there is a lot of faff involved and the price is a bit much for something i feel won't work (on a practical level)

Let me know how you get on/think on the above.

:thumb

Goose

Depends what you want it to do. We found that a lot of awnings were too big to carry (see my post on Kyham motor home awning , huge) so we ended up with a Suncamp Daytent. It is freestanding, easy to erect, and 3m by 3m in size. We use it for starage, cooking and eating if it is warm enough. It takes 2 tables, one to eat from plus the one from the van door to cook on plus 2 chairs and 4 if you are organised! It has no floor but we do not find that a problem. And it folds down very small for transport.
And not expensive

Hi David

I read your bit about the awning you had before I posted mine. Def don't want one of them, I like my safari room but it's a lot of hassle if you get a down pour as the awning starts to pool puddles and I'm scared it may collapse. May go down the route of a tent, going to have a look at some awning on Saturday as Broadlands in Romsey are holding a caravan and motorhome show.

OK Senna,

Hope you get what you want at Broadlands.
Understand your issues with the safari room, we are in Spain at the moment and last night we had very high winds so I was out at 3pm taking down the roll out awning. Not ideal when the wind is trying to take it away!
However, the Daytent is still standing despite being contorted into all sorts of weird shapes!
Best of luck in your search.

David