Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ay-up!

sensisuperstar

sensisuperstar

Wibble
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hello from a new member of the club. I’ve been watching and reading the forums for a good year, so thought I best join.

What you’ve got is a fantastic resource for people like me, so big thumbs up to everyone who contributes.

Long story short...

We have always liked the thought of owning a camper, but we were never in the position *or brave enough* to get one, so a bit of a dream really. Rewind 12 months and we decided rather than dream or wait until retirement, we should just do it whilst the kids are young...

...fast forward to the present and *after looking at numerous conversion options* we are now in the market for our first California, preferably a late SE or Ocean.

Update: In the absence of any Ocean’s close to home, as a compromise I’ve now test driven a DSG Beach and a manual transporter as a comparison.

The DSG was very nice, but as I’ve had automatics before, it wasn’t anything new. I’d take one at the right price, but wouldn’t pay extra.

I was pleasantly surprised with the manual gearbox, it had short shift between gears and was much nicer to drive than some cars I’ve owned...*it wouldn’t take much, I once had a Verso, which had the turning circle of a small oil tanker*

Anyhow, Ocean test drive arranged for next week...

Welcome. Appen that's gradely.

We need photos please, it's the law. :thumb

Now that I’ve finally sorted out some insurance, rumour has it that we might be picking up a new member of the family at the weekend...:bananadance2

...and yes Mr @Borris, I don’t plan to break any laws!

Well I’m on the one way train that so many of you will have experienced...
4F8F4B68-3648-4689-A45F-7350320B51D6.jpeg
...train is going so fast it makes that church spire look crooked ;)

Reactions: Sad
Now that I’ve had a tinker, here are some first impressions...

1. Firstly, my lord it was so nice to be back in a VW after 9 long years. Those boffins know how to build a vehicle and it was a pleasure to get behind the wheel.

2. We’ve bought a used Ocean 204 manual and the drive was very nice, quite torquey in 1 & 2, but smooth as butter in higher gears. Travelled 135 miles at 42mpg, so pleased with that. I love manual cars and very pleased with our decision.

3. The ride is smoother than I’d imagined and nowhere near as soft as some reviews had described. Maybe car reviewers are so accustomed to stiff suspension they think the Cali is soft and bouncy, but I’d say not.

4. The seat position is high and comfortable and I love it, so much easier to drive. When I got home and moved my hatchback to make room for the van it just didn’t seem right sat so low on the floor, so it was a pleasure to jump back in the Cali.

5. The mirrors are daft huge, so my initial fears about vision was completely unfounded. I think I might take down on of the rear headrests, but other than that I’m pleased with the view from the rear view mirror too.

6. There are lots of rattles at low speed, I suspect this is the hob and table, but nothing a few foam pads won’t sort out. Sort of got used to it in the end, but it still needs resolving so not to wake sleeping kids as we drive.

7. The rear space is immense, loads of room and we are all pleased with living area layout. Already done a big shop and the boot under the multi-flex is brilliant.

8. We did a short run to the shops and when we got back a fan was running loudly and the van stunk to high heaven. A quick search suggested this was something to do with the exhaust, but really?

9. The parking heater is great, I hoped it would be, but it’s nice to feel one in action on a cold evening whilst waiting for her indoors to do the big shop.

10. Considering that VW helped to develop ISOFIX, they appear to have gone backwards in the development of the T6...to say the baby seat was an absolute t**t to fit is an understatement...even those plastic guides are too short, so god knows how that’s going to turn out when we start camping.

We will try out the camping side of things over the next few days and see how it goes.

10. Considering that VW helped to develop ISOFIX, they appear to have gone backwards in the development of the T6...to say the baby seat was an absolute t**t to fit is an understatement...even those plastic guides are too short, so god knows how that’s going to turn out when we start camping.

We will try out the camping side of things over the next few days and see how it goes.

As far as Point 10 is concerned.
Pull the rear seat forward a little and recline the rear backrest 1 notch. You will find it much easier to connect the Isofix. Then re-position the backrest.
You might be able to recline the backrest enough without pulling the seat forward.

As far as Point 10 is concerned.
Pull the rear seat forward a little and recline the rear backrest 1 notch. You will find it much easier to connect the Isofix. Then re-position the backrest.
You might be able to recline the backrest enough without pulling the seat forward.
Thanks, after searching the forum mid rant, I ended up trying that in the end and it helped a bit. Essentially I was concerned that I would damage the seat upholstery without the plastic guides, so I’m going to see if Google can help me out in that respect.

What I wasn’t told before getting a Cali was that I’d be subjected to bores loudly conversing with their equally boring mates that I’d wasted my money on a Cali...

...today I learned that you can buy all the internal kit off eBay and plug it into a used T6 highline for half the money...well, quite frankly I couldn’t give less of a s**t, nor could Mrs SS, Jr SS or Baby SS, we were too busy enjoying life...but seriously do people actually believe that nonsense?!?

Anyhow, we had a great day today, we met up with some friends, got soaking wet, ate lunch in the van and spent time as a family...that my friends is priceless, no matter how you procure it :happy

Last edited:
Two weeks of ownership later and this big yellow thing appeared in the sky above our van...

...I’m told by folk much wiser than my good self that it’s called “the sun”, but I’ll have to take their word for it as it’s been that long...

...anyhow, our Gurty is a Blackberry and she truly sparkles in the bright light and now she’s less black and more *well* Brown? Red? Purple? I’m not entirely sure, but after a pre-purchase wobble, I’m in little doubt that Blackberry is the best colour on a Cali *ducks behind sofa*.

What I wasn’t told before getting a Cali was that I’d be subjected to bores loudly conversing with their equally boring mates that I’d wasted my money on a Cali...

...today I learned that you can buy all the internal kit off eBay and plug it into a used T6 highline for half the money...well, quite frankly I couldn’t give less of a s**t, nor could Mrs SS, Jr SS or Baby SS, we were too busy enjoying life...but seriously do people actually believe that nonsense?!?

Anyhow, we had a great day today, we met up with some friends, got soaking wet, ate lunch in the van and spent time as a family...that my friends is priceless, no matter how you procure it :happy
I had a T5 conversion once and it was absolutely S##t, people that think conversions are as good need their heads read

Yeah, ALL second hand. Just jealousy. There are good conversions but very, very few are comparable to a California.