Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bag or Box on an Atera Strada?

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
I have an Atera Strada towbar-mounting bike rack - the DL3, if memory serves.

It works nicely for carrying bikes, and slides out of the way of my tailgate. I was wondering if anyone had tried carrying anything other than bicycles on one? It seems like a handy luggage platform, though it doesn't have the flattish base of some racks. (Pictures here)

Something like the Brandrup Flexbag might work, but they seem very pricey and may be designed only to strap on to a VW carrier.

Any suggestions welcome!

Hi Quentin, I also have a Strada DL3 with 4th bike extension and have carried 2 inflatable paddle boards and 2 bikes. The paddle board bags sit very happily when strapped vertically either side of the bike clamps. Close on the weight limit for the rack but most of the weight is next to the hitch and seems to operate fine.
I also looked at a Brandrup flex bag to go in the same space as the boards (the earlier version which seems much wider than the newer version but still shallow enough) but the price was too high.

I ended up getting a bag made to measure from bags4everything, which was a bit pricey (just under £100) but I think will work well - I got to specify the exact size and the colour.

I put into it our outside chairs, loo tent, topper insulation, windscreen insulation and a bit of groundsheet, and it still looks, well, half-delated! I need to sort out some proper strapping for it still - I’ve got some straps arriving today and it has various loops through which to run them.

Anyway, I get no real security, of course, from a bag, but it does fold up very small, and I could compress it into a more vertical shape if I wanted bikes on there as well.

584B9F2E-98F7-41BA-A19B-1D4492199F9E.jpeg CE839CDC-4BB2-4B1B-990B-2680E39AAFE5.jpeg

Oh, I forgot, it has our canopy awning in there too in those pictures.

Even if I don't end up using it like this very much, it'll make a convenient waterproof bag for keeping things in outside the van overnight!

Oh, I forgot, it has our canopy awning in there too in those pictures.

Even if I don't end up using it like this very much, it'll make a convenient waterproof bag for keeping things in outside the van overnight!
Nice one dude, we carry our bikes, windbreaks, awning etc. when on extended travel.

Hi we have the same rack and find that the Thule easy bag (or go bag - can’t remember the exact name) works really well. We are a family of 4 and this works really well for additional space.
All the best

DD99EB92-90CF-404B-95A2-FF2C646B49F4.jpeg

Ah yes, that does look good, though rather pricey. If I find I use mine much, perhaps I'll upgrade :)

Hi we have the same rack and find that the Thule easy bag (or go bag - can’t remember the exact name) works really well. We are a family of 4 and this works really well for additional space.
All the best

View attachment 50060

Hello @Aca_chap
I’m looking to add the Thule Easybag to my Atera Strada in this way. Can I please just ask whether you remove the black bike brackets & straps (to make the rack less lumpy) or just place the Easybag on top?

Hi sorry I missed this. Just stick it on. No problem.
Cheers

Thanks, @Aca_chap. Your delayed response is still useful, as that trip to the Alps has been a tad postponed...

Mine too! We usually spend 10 weeks skiing in VDI and are missing it so much. Good luck

Hi @jimmywease , I use a Brandrup Flexbag (the larger one from the T5 rather than for the T6 which is smaller) and it fits fine on the Atera Strada DL3 just placed on top of the first two bike rails, and since the rack has the 4th bike extension I can carry 2 mountain bikes at the back as well as the full bag tight against the front vertical bar, and the bag height is also fine for the bike securing arms to reach across the top of the bag to connect to the bikes.

Hi all, I was wondering if you could give some advice on the strada dl3. I’m planning on buying one for the same uses as you’ve posted above, mostly bikes, but with the added intention of buying a bag like the Thule easybag to strap to it for extended camping trips. I wanted to know what you thought to the carrying weight. It states 45kg or 63kg with 4th adapter, so I’m assuming it’ll take 63kg of weight in a bag. I’m not really planning for that weight but it might get a little over 45kg.

Hi @Bmeaden

I haven’t yet used the bag on the bike rack, but I do use the fourth bike adapter. The adapter comes with two strap & buckle arrangements, to lash the upright part of the bike rack to the upper edge of the tailgate. This provides the extra weight capacity.

I tend to put the straps on last, hence the rack seems to be okay with four bikes whilst stationary.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks @jimmywease so you think the rack needs the extra straps? On the roofbox.co.uk site they seem to say the extra straps aren’t necessary. Either way, are you happy with the rack?

I just read the roofbox.co.uk quote about the straps being unnecessary. I assume they know this from experience, as the straps are not compatible with a van spoiler.

I would always use the straps with the fourth bike because of the added weight being furthest from the towbar attachment. Also I think that my Westfalia detachable towbar is only rated for 3 bikes and 60kg, despite offering a max nose weight of 100kg.

I suppose it’s not an exact science, because of the variable distribution of the loads and driving styles/conditions.

I bet you could put 100kg of luggage in the bag, with no straps, and cruise down the autobahn at 130kph no problem. Rushing through the Kent country potholes and lurching onto the ferry ramp might prove disastrous though!

Yes, I like the rack but it is my first towbar rack, hence nothing to compare with. Like everything else with the Beach & accessories, it seems to take 10 trips before the optimum sequence/settings are attained & memorised! Once that’s done, it’s easy enough. I wouldn’t enter it into the @Amarillo bike speed-loading olympics though!

Take care to follow the roofbox.co.uk extra instructions carefully, regarding releasing trigger etc.

I have been looking for a tow bar storage solution to my problem and stumbled on this thread.

I would like something to carry bikes and also have the option of somewhere to put things that are wet and sandy like wetsuits.

How does the Thule bag attach to the Atera Strada bike rack? Do I need to purchase anything extra for this to work?

Hopefully @Aca_chap can answer this, as won’t be buying the bag until we can go skiing again.

Sounds ideal for wetsuits though...

Hopefully @Aca_chap can answer this, as won’t be buying the bag until we can go skiing again.

Sounds ideal for wetsuits though...

hi there. The bag just sits on top of the rack - no adjustment needed. It’s really neat. Recommend 100%

all the best

Thank you. Sounds a ringing endorsement of it.

I’m left wondering if there is something specific about the Atera rack or if it would work with any.

I have been looking for a tow bar storage solution to my problem and stumbled on this thread.

I would like something to carry bikes and also have the option of somewhere to put things that are wet and sandy like wetsuits.

How does the Thule bag attach to the Atera Strada bike rack? Do I need to purchase anything extra for this to work?
What about attaching a waterproof lockable box to the rack like this...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CWZN51W/?tag=eliteelect-21

Thanks. Do you think that would easily sit on a bike rack? I’ve not seen a rack with a flat surface which makes me think a bag is more suitable.

Thanks. Do you think that would easily sit on a bike rack? I’ve not seen a rack with a flat surface which makes me think a bag is more suitable.
Once all the wheel clamps are remove it should fit, if not you could always use one of the bags or similar ...

hi there. The bag just sits on top of the rack - no adjustment needed. It’s really neat. Recommend 100%

all the best
Do all the straps that are on the bag attach to the bike frame ok , or do you need additional straps ?

Back