Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bandrup Second Skin Seat Covers

S

Steve Hart

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
To cut to the chase even a drop of water lands on our seats it seems to leave a stain, we have a T6.1 Cali Ocean 13 plate. We are thinking of buying a set of Bandrup second skin seat covers but are concerned that because they are the same material we will be in the same position. Thoughts welcome whether that is the case and also can the covers be removed and washed in a washing machine on a cold temperature if needed? We considered going for the california camping leatherette seat covers but they only do them in Black/Grey and Black/Black which doesn't suit the internal colour scheme of our van. Thanks for your help.

We have the Brandrup second skin covers & it does take away the angst of getting marks on the seats when the dog is bouncing all over them, so would recommend them, I believe they are machine washable but haven't had to do this yet.
However they do water stain just like the original fabric, I have found the Autoglym interior/upholstery cleaner easily removes the water staining.

IMG_6354 (1).jpg

IMG_6353 (1).jpg

To cut to the chase even a drop of water lands on our seats it seems to leave a stain, we have a T6.1 Cali Ocean 13 plate. We are thinking of buying a set of Bandrup second skin seat covers but are concerned that because they are the same material we will be in the same position. Thoughts welcome whether that is the case and also can the covers be removed and washed in a washing machine on a cold temperature if needed? We considered going for the california camping leatherette seat covers but they only do them in Black/Grey and Black/Black which doesn't suit the internal colour scheme of our van. Thanks for your help.
I believe they will stain as per the original seats, so can’t really see the point? Might as well live with marks on the seats and fit the second skins at the point of selling the van.

We went for the waterproof covers. They don’t look great but the seats remain pristine.

We have the Brandrup covers in our 6.1. you can't tell the difference to the original fabric. 15 months later I haven't bothered to wash them. We have 2 young kids so thought they were a worthwhile purchase but if it was just the 2 of us I wouldn't bother with any covers.

Washed our slightly soiled Brandrup 2nd Skin seat base covers last week 30C wash with half measure Aldi detergent powder, came up like new! Refitted them easily.
Have no fear!

We have the Inka waterproof tailored seat covers front and rear in grey. If you can live with the more utilitarian look they are very practical and can withstand most things. In the camping environment there is a greater chance of mishaps which these covers cope with. Easily removed and machine washable and much cheaper.

Is there a possibility/danger of liquids passing through the second skins to mark the original seats?

We have the Brandrup second skin covers & it does take away the angst of getting marks on the seats when the dog is bouncing all over them, so would recommend them, I believe they are machine washable but haven't had to do this yet.
However they do water stain just like the original fabric, I have found the Autoglym interior/upholstery cleaner easily removes the water staining.

View attachment 85266

View attachment 85267
Many thanks Cameron

I believe they will stain as per the original seats, so can’t really see the point? Might as well live with marks on the seats and fit the second skins at the point of selling the van.

We went for the waterproof covers. They don’t look great but the seats remain pristine.
Many thanks Grumpy Granddad

We have the Brandrup covers in our 6.1. you can't tell the difference to the original fabric. 15 months later I haven't bothered to wash them. We have 2 young kids so thought they were a worthwhile purchase but if it was just the 2 of us I wouldn't bother with any covers.
Many thanks subthree

We have the Inka waterproof tailored seat covers front and rear in grey. If you can live with the more utilitarian look they are very practical and can withstand most things. In the camping environment there is a greater chance of mishaps which these covers cope with. Easily removed and machine washable and much cheaper.
Many thanks Jodalo

Is there a possibility/danger of liquids passing through the second skins to mark the original seats?
We were wondering the same thing, whilst looking at seat cover options for our 'yet to be delivered' van. Anyone know whether the Brandrup covers have a 'waterproof' backing or are they just fabric? TIA.

They are water proof or at least mine have been in 2 Cali's since 2014, the seats are unmarked underneath.

Would I want to tip a bucket of water over them? No, which is probably why they are not advertised as water proof but they are plenty good enough for me at least.

Had a set of brandrups on our old van - had them 5 years & looked as good as new after a quick wash.
First thing we did with the new one was get another set. I put a coat or 3 of scotch guard on them as it makes liquid bead rather than soak in.

I like the fact that they match exactly the original trim, it just means I don't worry when the muddy dog jumps up on the seats etc.

We originally had the VW waterproof covers on the first van, didn't like them as it made the rear bench in particular slippery & it all felt more like driving a works van.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the info one and all - sounds like they will do us fine, with a spray of scotchguard or similar. Just now wait to see which comes in stock first - the covers or the van ..

I’d second the efficiency of the autoglym interior shampoo. Brings the original fabric up to scratch in no time with very little effort, and means they can be enjoyed as intended without covers…