Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Base Vehicle Type Code.. Where?

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I want to order a part and have been asked for a base vehicle type code. From all my searching I believe it can be gleaned from the Vin Number. My Vin is WV2ZZZ7HZDH****** and from what I can work out the base code is 7HD for my 2013 SE. Can anyone confirm this is the correct code as the part is being made to order and can't be returned?

Cheers

I want to order a part and have been asked for a base vehicle type code. From all my searching I believe it can be gleaned from the Vin Number. My Vin is WV2ZZZ7HZDH****** and from what I can work out the base code is 7HD for my 2013 SE. Can anyone confirm this is the correct code as the part is being made to order and can't be returned?

Cheers
I'm sorry but I can't help you but can the supplier tell you where to find it?

Check under the steering wheel in the footwell. You will find a sticker with a lot of information. Maybe you find it there. Or take a picture and send it to them?

Check under the steering wheel in the footwell. You will find a sticker with a lot of information. Maybe you find it there. Or take a picture and send it to them?

Thanks, I’ve done just that but it seems they are asking me for a code that they themselves are clueless as to its whereabouts.

Could it be the Chassis Code/Type? In which case it is the the first 6 characters on line two of the Vehicle Data Sticker which you should fine inside the front cover of your service book.
In my case, a T6 110KW Auto, the code is "SGC WF7". Edit - VW call this information "Vehicle Type"

Cheers
According to this -
http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin

7H means T5 and D means 2013.

All I wanted was a price from Weitec Suspension for some spring spaces and after giving them the make, model, year etc, they came back asking which one of these is it:
7H
7HC
7HK
7HM
7JO
So I Googled away and came up with 7HD from the Vin as explained on the T5 forum. I also phoned SMG but the parts department said those codes meant nothing to them. 7HM from the looks of WG's kind info is a 2021 T7 (?) by all accounts! I'll reply to them explaining my code (Transporter 2013) and see if they can fathom from this the multitude of suspension fitted to a 2013 transporter and then I'll post their reply.

Any knowledgeble dealer should be able to order the correct parts using the VIN number .

As OP said, the supplier was not a dealer.

So....? if one is selling car parts the best and correct way to order parts ( even it is just a mirror glas or any small part is by VIN .

Agree that maybe not every shop has acces to these data , still the best way is using VIN.
Could be a UK vs. Mainland diffrence....

So....? if one is selling car parts the best and correct way to order parts ( even it is just a mirror glas or any small part is by VIN .

Agree that maybe not every shop has acces to these data , still the best way is using VIN.
Could be a UK vs. Mainland diffrence....
I did send them the Vin and a picture of the codes under the drivers seat. Only time will tell if they can read VW.

Not applicable to T5 possibly but I have a plate in engine bay on right (drivers) side on bulkhead behind headlight with axle weights and type number at the bottom on my T6

FYI my base vehicle type code is indeed 7HD. It's made up from the seventh, eighth and tenth digit of the Vin number. Thank you all for the help.

That makes mine a 7HH where as previously I had thought it was a 7HC.....:confused:

Edit: Even my dealer said today it was a 7HC - I was asking about steel wheels and winter tyres! But according to http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin a 7HC is a 2012 T5, and a 7HH is a 2017 T5 which is still confusing even if slightly nearer. Mine is a 2017 T6. So I think I will go with 7HH, at least the year is right and it matches the 7,8 &10 character rule.

Last edited:
Oh, I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The VW coding system dictates it should be a 7HH and is according to the VIN number as established above. Guess what the V5C says? 7HC :talktothehand:talktothehand:headbang:headbang
I am going to find a dark room!!

Go to your (or any) VW dealer and ask for a 'Car Data Print' of your particular chassis number. Some dealers are funny about giving this out but I find mine will to me for reasons of a job that I do, it's best to go to the trade parts counter I find.
The printout should be about five pages and quote all build options (although may be confusing to you) plus exact build date and other specifications etc.

Rod

Oh, I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The VW coding system dictates it should be a 7HH and is according to the VIN number as established above. Guess what the V5C says? 7HC :talktothehand:talktothehand:headbang:headbang
I am going to find a dark room!!
I’ve not seen the code refer to either T5 or T6 (other than that link) it just means it’s a post 2010 transporter and the year model. Yours from all I know is a 7HH. Code 7H started in 2010 7HA.. 2011 7HB etc. Just don’t forget new model years start in the middle of the previous year. Clear as mud?

Last edited:
I’ve not seen the code refer to either T5 or T6 it just means it’s a transporter and the year model. Yours from all I know is a 7HH. Code 7H started in 2010 7HA.. 2011 7HB etc. Just don’t forget new model years start in the middle of the previous year. Clear as mud?
I am 99% sure you are right, and I will be using 7HH in future, but if you look at this web site http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin 7H is a "T5 Transporter". There is a different code for T4 - it's 70. So logic dictates that a T6 should have a different code or the description for a 7H should be changed to "T5/6 Transporter".
......But none of this explains why my V5C states "7HC". Grrrr!

I checked my V5C to see if there was a clue and didn't notice a type code. As the year code goes up to 2029 then it most likely includeds whatever T? comes along. I did ask my VW man and he agreed to my type code. Well I've ordered my made to measure parts now based on the info here so if they don't fit you're all in trouble!! :Nailbiting

I checked my V5C to see if there was a clue and didn't notice a type code. As the year code goes up to 2029 then it most likely includeds whatever T? comes along. I did ask my VW man and he agreed to my type code. Well I've ordered my made to measure parts now based on the info here so if they don't fit you're all in trouble!! :Nailbiting
lol!
Edit: The type code in Section 4 D2 on my V5C is "7HC". I just love VW!! (It's not as if DVLA provide this information!!)

Trying to order some parts and all the stores have three T6 base options.
Any suggestions which one is T6 california?
VW TRANSPORTER VI (SGB, SGG, SGJ)
VW TRANSPORTER VI (SGA, SGH)
VW TRANSPORTER VI (SFD, SFE, SFL, SFZ)

Mine is stamped into the bodywork, when the roof is raised
its visible, its in the middle at the back, you'll need some stepladders.

Back