Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Batteries: leisure and main

S

Sallyf

VIP Member
I am the happy owner of a 2012 T5. As I am unlikely to be using it for some months what should I be doing about keeping the batteries charged? Will plugging in from the mains to the outside socket as I would on a campsite charge both batteries?

I am the happy owner of a 2012 T5. As I am unlikely to be using it for some months what should I be doing about keeping the batteries charged? Will plugging in from the mains to the outside socket as I would on a campsite charge both batteries?
When I’ve not done much mileage for a while, I just hook it up to the mains for 24 hrs every 2-3 weeks. Gotta keep those batts topped up.

Due to an unintended consequence by VW in some years of California’s, the Mains Charger will charge the Leisure Batteries but also will trickle charge the Engine Battery once the Leisure Batteries are charged.
The only way to check is to measure the voltage of the Engine Battery once the Leisure Batteries are fully charged. So after 24 hrs, if the Engine Battery has a voltage greater than 12.7v then it is being trickle charged.

Does that mean the mains hook up will work as a battery conditioner, and can be left connected permanently during what might be a long lay up without overcharging the battery?

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Does that mean the mains hook up will work as a battery conditioner, and can be left connected permanently during what might be a long lay up without overcharging the battery?
Personally I stick to a monthly 24>48 hour charge regime.

Due to an unintended consequence by VW in some years of California’s, the Mains Charger will charge the Leisure Batteries but also will trickle charge the Engine Battery once the Leisure Batteries are charged.
The only way to check is to measure the voltage of the Engine Battery once the Leisure Batteries are fully charged. So after 24 hrs, if the Engine Battery has a voltage greater than 12.7v then it is being trickle charged.
Just info.
My T6 engine battery voltage goes up instantly when mains is switched on. No delay for Leisure Battery charge up.

I have recently invested in a dual panel / dual battery charge solar kit from Roger Donaghue.

Whilst the plan was to provide some free electricity for wild camping, it does provide the additional benefit of being able to maintain the charge in the 3 Leisure and Engine batteries.

Also provides backup to standard charging systems should they develop a fault.

I begin to install the solar kit tomorrow.

Just info.
My T6 engine battery voltage goes up instantly when mains is switched on. No delay for Leisure Battery charge up.
Yes, I believe on the T6 the Mains Charger charges all 3 batteries. Probably too many complaints to VW about flat engine battery using electric sliding door or In Car Entertainment System while camping.

That’s what I do. When on the drive I leave it on hookup. I also run a small dehumidifier off the mains socket.

I have recently invested in a dual panel / dual battery charge solar kit from Roger Donaghue.

Whilst the plan was to provide some free electricity for wild camping, it does provide the additional benefit of being able to maintain the charge in the 3 Leisure and Engine batteries.

Also provides backup to standard charging systems should they develop a fault.

I begin to install the solar kit tomorrow.

How did it go? I installed mine last week. A little tricky, but up and running nicely now!

Is still to be done. Some other jobs come first. And with this Coronavirus lockdown, I have loads of time on my hands.

I also have some duel solar panels to install this weekend from Roger. Obviously all the rage at the moment. One of my questions to Roger when I ordered them was that do they charge the starter battery also and he said no.

See my link MackM - i got the new system that also charges the starter. I think if you fully charge your leisure batteries you will get a small top up on your starter anyway.

I also have some duel solar panels to install this weekend from Roger. Obviously all the rage at the moment. One of my questions to Roger when I ordered them was that do they charge the starter battery also and he said no.
Indeed, you need the 'DuoRacer' dual battery charge unit. Is made by Epever. It is an option at the time of ordering.

Just installed the duel panels and connected to the rear battery via Victron Connect smart solar 100/20 and the starter motor battery immediately went from 11.8 to 12.6 so clearly there is a small charge reversing through.EB413701-206D-4260-BCD6-2FBF3ECC8819.jpeg

Hello, as far as I am informed, the matter is as follows (VW California 2015 T 5.2 140 ps):
The starter battery for the engine is a normal acid battery, this is on the left in the engine compartment. The two on-board batteries (camper batteries) are AGM batteries. One is in the rear cabinet and the other is under the driver's seat. The starter battery should be charged with a charging voltage of approx. 13.8 - 14.4 volts. The AGM camper batteries should be charged with a charging voltage of 14.8 volts. The starter battery has priority i.e. the camper batteries are never never 100% charged by the generator. VW therefore recommends charging all batteries at least once a month via the 220 / 240 volt connection. To avoid this problem you should install a "charge booster" (German term) instead of the isolating relay. If the charging booster is installed, the camper batteries are charged with 14.8 volts, the current strength is then a maximum of 30 amps. Since I installed the charging booster, there are far fewer problems with the capacity of the camper batteries.

> Loading booster see: https://shop.campofant.com/produkt/votronic-12v-zu-12v-30a-b2b-ladewandler/

> Installation instructions see>

Regards and have a nice day during this horrible times ... Rolf Dittus (Sindelfingen DE)

Back