Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Charger Repair

B

bealem

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi I have a 1993 Eurovan CV (Canadian verison) which seems almost identical to a T4 California with respect to the battery charger.
My battery charger is cooked the other day when i plugged it in. Luckily it didn't catch fire.
My question is, judging by the photos is it worth trying to repair it?. The only serious damage seems to be in the bottom left corner. The fuse there is toast since i checked for continuity and there was none. Not sure what the other half baked components are or where I could source new ones.
Thanks

20211117_200105.jpg20211117_200105.jpg

By the looks of things, although the fuse and fuse holder is completely burnt, the circuit board in itself is also damaged and has probably shorted out everything. The transformer area top of picture seems ok from the looks of it, but then again it might be damaged as dependant of the heat it has taken.
I am sure a replacement is the best bet. In my opinion, replace it and have a peace of mind.

Does this thread help any ?

Does this thread help any ?

By the looks of things, although the fuse and fuse holder is completely burnt, the circuit board in itself is also damaged and has probably shorted out everything. The transformer area top of picture seems ok from the looks of it, but then again it might be damaged as dependant of the heat it has taken.
I am sure a replacement is the best bet. In my opinion, replace it and have a peace of mind.
Here are some pics of the board cleaned up with alchol. Not as bad as I originally thought.
Any idea where I can find replacements for the smaller blue components and fuse?

Inked20211118_162508_LI.jpg

Inked20211118_164124_LI.jpg

No not really you are better off trying an electronic supplier. You will need to get the values of all the bits that are spoiled. The fuse and holder are not as difficult to overcome but the rest might be.

I thought there was a Wiki page dealing with all of this?

30 year old electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced. Transformers that have had heat through are worth replacing. Can't see if it's mov protected if so they need to be replaced. The filter cap looks pretty tired.

Unless you have a vested interest in restoring old electronics you're probably better off with a modern smps based solution.