Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Charging

Butler technik were v helpful, sadly although the heater timer looks the same from the front the actual wiring connections are totally different . Different harness...flat v square and different wire colours.

I shall give up and resort to putting the heating on when I need it

Am still playing around with the hook up charging as I would really like it to charge the starter as well. Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Swampy

Re starter battery not charging, had van on hook up for the last two months and leisure battery fully charged, went to start the engine but found the starter battery flat, it looks like not maintaining the charge on hook up ! should it ? :help
Ron.

Mine doesn't either. Maybe it was an option?

dan

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Mine doesn't either. Maybe it was an option?

dan
Thanks Dan, think i will get a CTEK charger to keep the starter battery topped up when not using the van.
Ron.

If it's a genuine Westy charger unit then it will have two outputs. One feeding the leisure battery(ies), the other feeding the starter.

Open the wire mesh panel below the fridge and slide out the charger unit.

There will be three (I think from memory ) connectors. Mains in, control/leisure charge and a small two pin one for the starter.

Fairly easy to check the output to confirm it's working.

S.

sidepod said:
If it's a genuine Westy charger unit then it will have two outputs. One feeding the leisure battery(ies), the other feeding the starter.
Hello, I would add that maybe the early vans are different?

For example my '91 T4 Westfalia did not have the extra 2 pin connector on the charger or have the wiring to the starter battery.

Maybe they realised this was very useful to have and added to later models?

Sidepod - really like your diy heater timer idea! Will add that to the list of jobs! :thumb

Jim and Liz

Can some help please?
Just came back from a lovely weekend away with family and noticed that on second day of camping my leisure battery stoped charging when plugged into mains. It was charging fine on the first day and through the night but at some point I noticed that voltage was going down even though it was plugged in. On the way back home it was charging of alternator without problems.
I have a 1991 German edition California Westfalia
Many thanks
Dav

Are you handy with a voltmeter?

Plug it back into the mains and check the voltage across your leisure battery terminals.

If it's charging ok then you should see around 13.4v

I should be ok with voltmeter, its just before I started pulling things apart I wanted to find out how things are wired up?

I do recall that I have started the van while plugged into electric, would this affect anything?

It looks like that I will need to start taking internal panels off and start my investigation, having read a few things it seems like that charger could be in question and that is located under the fridge.

Thanks you for your suggestion, you wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram?

I should be ok with voltmeter, its just before I started pulling things apart I wanted to find out how things are wired up?

I do recall that I have started the van while plugged into electric, would this affect anything?

It looks like that I will need to start taking internal panels off and start my investigation, having read a few things it seems like that charger could be in question and that is located under the fridge.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/parts_lst/...991/hg/0/catalog/vw/drive_standart/132/lang/e

Scroll down to the bottom. Wiring diagrams. Hope it helps.

Or this site might help.

http://www.westfaliat4.info/html/vw_westfalia_t4_transporter_do.html

It's really simple.

Push the bench seat as far fwd as you can do it clears the fridge lower panel.

Remove the screws and take out the panel.

The charger is located below the fridge.

Just make sure the main input plug is properly pushed in.

You can test the out out from here if you're confident you are picking the correct wiring.
If not, the batteries are behind the next panel in the boot area.

Remove the rear bed shelf and take out the panel to reveal the batteries.

I can upload wiring schemes later.

P.

Just had a little play and it seems that I am not getting any power to the charger. Cable going into charger is not showing anything. Cant trace it as it goes behind the fridge and is untraceable, all fuses are good. had a look behind the socket as much as possible and can't seem to see charger cable around there. wold there be a suction box somewhere or how does it all wire up?

Just had a little play and it seems that I am not getting any power to the charger. Cable going into charger is not showing anything. Cant trace it as it goes behind the fridge and is untraceable, all fuses are good. had a look behind the socket as much as possible and can't seem to see charger cable around there. wold there be a suction box somewhere or how does it all wire up?
The mains feed to the charger comes via the on board RCBO. This is the trip switch in the B pillar panel behind the drivers seat above the small fuse panel.

Make sure it's pushed in the up position.
If you need to check further. Remove the trim panel and test it with your voltmeter.
Beware as this is 240v mains.
The trip switch is fed directly from the hook up input.

Thank you for your response so far it is giving me courage to pull things apart and I am at it again only this time I seem to be getting power at the charger, I think it was my meter that wasn't working so new meter out today and it seems that I am getting power in and out, I think. I will try to upload some of the photos, but now I seem even more confused! Help please, how can I be loosing power between charger and the battery?

IMG_8354.jpg

IMG_8355.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

Voltage seem high!!! 14 should be max as I understand.

If it's not getting to the battery from there then check the cables. It's only a very short run. With your meter, do a continuity check end to end.

I can't quite recal how it's wired. I think is connected via the split charge relay but not as part of its function.

I'll post a pic of the wiring scheme later.

Seems like there is a continuity between charger and both of the batteries. Really puzzled now! Found a temperature sensor on the side of the batteries would that cause any disruptions? checked the fuse in between batteries too and that seems ok also. What else could I check?

If you have power at the output of the charger AND the cables to the battery are good then you have to have juice at the battery!

Re check.

Think my leisure battery is defunct on my T4 Cali :( Was working fine but died on my last trip (didn't get any thing out of it). Shows full bars and above 12v but any load now sees it drop to 10.5V and the subsequent cut of within seconds. Works fine on hook up showing 14.4v but dropped to 10.4v before heater started. I did the diagnostic on the control panel and it said battery was 1b. Current battery is a westfalia 140ah Gel.
1. Is 1b the wrong setting?
2. How do you get the control panel off (easily) to access the dip switches?
3. I think its dip switch 2 but should it be up or down for gel?
4. Any recommended replacement batteries that would be suitable?
5. HELP

Never posted an updated on this matter. After taking everything apart, cleaning the charger and reconnecting everything back on, it now seems to be working again, I hope this continues. I was ready to purchase new charger, however I know this may not be help everyone but surely it has solved my situation, at least for now.

Fridge issue next!

Back