Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery life when using Fridge - VW are telling me 1 day on my 2yr old T6 Ocean

Hi all,

Myelf and partner have just decided to take the plunge and buy a 2018 T6 Ocean which we love but we are finding that the fridge will only run for 24hrs before it turns itself off.
(this is after ive charged it up overnight on hookup)

Ive got it booked into VW breeze for a checkup tomorrow (as its under warranty) but after chatting to the service dept they are telling me it will only run the fridge for 24hrs when NOT on hookup which i think is nonsense.

From what ive read and been told on here the fridge should last for 4-5 days without hookup unless the batteries have perished.

Can anyone tell me where best to get to official confirmation of the statistics for these batteries to support my argument?
I have been having exactly the same problem. VW dealerships are hopeless - they are mostly commercial van salesmen and have no idea about the performance characteristics of the campers. I fought and fought to get one battery changed but they wouldn’t change the second one which is now draining the new one. Still in warranty but no joy. I’ve given up (VW aftersales service is an oxymoron - you buy a luxury vehicle and get treated like you’ve purchased a Cheap second hand transit) so if you get a resolution please post it so I can do the same. Good luck!

I had the same problem, fridge switches off after 24hr , went through same experience with VW customer service ( no understanding of the vehicle they were selling). The leisure batteries were checked and passed by VW service department. I explained the experience of other Ocean users and was directed to the motor ombudsman, the replay from this body was as follows.

" However, whilst the business youre complaining about is accredited to us, we dont look at complaints about caravans or motor homes. Thats because its not covered by our Codes of Practice"

I was then directed to the National Caravan Council, at which point I gave up..

Hi all,

Myelf and partner have just decided to take the plunge and buy a 2018 T6 Ocean which we love but we are finding that the fridge will only run for 24hrs before it turns itself off.

Ive got it booked into VW breeze for a checkup tomorrow (as its under warranty) but after chatting to the service dept they are telling me it will only run the fridge for 24hrs when NOT on hookup which i think is nonsense.

From what ive read and been told on here the fridge should last for 4-5 days without hookup unless the batteries have perished.

Can anyone tell me where best to get to official confirmation of the statistics for these batteries to support my argument?

The vw california with the cool box installed has a problem. In order to cool the box, the cooling unit generates a lot of heat under the box, which is counterproductive. In order to minimize the electrical energy by 30 to 40%, the warmed air in the room under the cool box can be cooled relatively easily. If interested, I can provide related information. The costs are minimal at around 10-15 €. If this change is implemented, you can cool for about 5 to 7 days. Sorry for the simple English ... Google helped out here ... Rolf D.

The vw california with the cool box installed has a problem. In order to cool the box, the cooling unit generates a lot of heat under the box, which is counterproductive. In order to minimize the electrical energy by 30 to 40%, the warmed air in the room under the cool box can be cooled relatively easily. If interested, I can provide related information. The costs are minimal at around 10-15 €. If this change is implemented, you can cool for about 4 to 6 days. Sorry for the simple English ... Google helped out here ... Rolf D.

The vw california with the cool box installed has a problem. In order to cool the box, the cooling unit generates a lot of heat under the box, which is counterproductive. In order to minimize the electrical energy by 30 to 40%, the warmed air in the room under the cool box can be cooled relatively easily. If interested, I can provide related information. The costs are minimal at around 10-15 €. If this change is implemented, you can cool for about 5 to 7 days. Sorry for the simple English ... Google helped out here ... Rolf D.
Yes, interested in any solution to the issue, please can you send details!!!

Another problem is the fact that the on-board batteries are AGM batteries. They are not charged to 100% in the standard vw California. Voltronic only offers such a battery for around 150 €. Regards Rolf.D.

The vw california with the cool box installed has a problem. In order to cool the box, the cooling unit generates a lot of heat under the box, which is counterproductive. In order to minimize the electrical energy by 30 to 40%, the warmed air in the room under the cool box can be cooled relatively easily. If interested, I can provide related information. The costs are minimal at around 10-15 €. If this change is implemented, you can cool for about 4 to 6 days. Sorry for the simple English ... Google helped out here ... Rolf D.

I did not know that a compressor refrigerator gives off so much heat....

Last edited:
Hi all,

We have a mid 2018 Ocean with 25k miles. Original OEM 75ah leisure batteries under the wardrobe and front passenger seats. We run the fridge almost all the time on setting 3 (to stop it getting smelly- and also it’s then pre-chilled when we want to use it at weekends)

When the van is parked, the leisure battery will drop approx 7-10% per day (Depending on outside air temperature) with no driving or hookup during the week.

A 30 min drive seems to top it up again fully and then we repeat and park all week.

I’ve been keeping my eye on this almost daily for a couple of months while contemplating having solar roof panels and solar charging fitted, but quite honestly , even if I was wild camping, it’s cheaper to run the engine for 20 or 30 minutes for a top up every two days rather than have the capital cost and hassle of installing the solar.

I was so confident that the batteries worked so well, I also installed an additional 1.5 kW pure sinewave inverter under the hob and I can easily boil 1 litre of water in a conventional looking lower powered automatic kettle or use a low powered electric toaster, or even my Nesspreaso coffee machine and milk frother, but none of these items at the same time for obvious reasons! (takes six minutes to boil 1 L of water from cold) .

Even after a long day of tea and coffee making while still running the fridge all of the time, the battery seldom drops below 60%.

Mine is not an unusual story and the low drain from your fridge should not to deplete your battery in under two or three days.

I understand the engine only charges the leisure batteries to 80% to prevent overcharging for uses the drive a lot, but hook-up charger will take the batteries to 100%. In real world testing, a pre-charge from the hook-up will give an extra day of normal use, using the fridge and auxiliary heating.

I hope that helps

I use my cali as a "road trip camper" this means max 2-3 nights on the same spot.
Last year , by exception we stayed 5 days on the spot in the algarve with 30° degrees C , no hook up needed and always cool drinks
I never ask for elektric hook up and never needed it..(much cheaper and you have that more places to choose from in the camping..). cali is 4.5 years and so are all the batterie's...

Hi there
I also have an ex-VW Ocean from 2018, they actually gave us a new battery (as they said their pre-sales check indicated it). We tend to go off for a couple of nights, and then leave the fridge on when we get home. We have certainly managed a week with it switched on, Hopefully your new batteries have sorted the problem.

Another problem is the fact that the on-board batteries are AGM batteries. They are not charged to 100% in the standard vw California. Voltronic only offers such a battery for around 150 €. Regards Rolf.D.
Yes, interested in any solution to the issue, please can you send details!!!
This is the first part of die solution...
Implement this feature:

This ist a Link how to implement die booster:

This is the first part of die solution...
Implement this feature:

This ist a Link how to implement die booster:

2nd Part: This Link is how to implement a ventilation under the Coolingbox

Either you implement the cooling with the above kit, or you take a PC fan 12Volt / approx. 0.15A and implement it in the plastic cover which is installed in the wall between the cool box and the left crockery compartment. The electrical connections are already provided in the cool box (see also video).
The fan runs when the compressor is running and conveys the warm air from the space under the compressor.

Another note: the cool box has a small basket and a sensor on the right side. If the basket is pushed to the right, there is no risk of the sensor being covered by items to be cooled. We were on the road for about 5 weeks this summer and the cool box mostly ran between 2 or 3. The temperature was much more constant (setting 3 = 8-11 C, 2 = 6-7 C.

Regards Rolf D.

Sorry I am not so familiar with this Forum and your Language

2nd Part: This Link is how to implement a ventilation under the Coolingbox

Either you implement the cooling with the above kit, or you take a PC fan 12Volt / approx. 0.15A and implement it in the plastic cover which is installed in the wall between the cool box and the left crockery compartment. The electrical connections are already provided in the cool box (see also video).
The fan runs when the compressor is running and conveys the warm air from the space under the compressor.

Another note: the cool box has a small basket and a sensor on the right side. If the basket is pushed to the right, there is no risk of the sensor being covered by items to be cooled. We were on the road for about 5 weeks this summer and the cool box mostly ran between 2 or 3. The temperature was much more constant (setting 3 = 8-11 C, 2 = 6-7 C.

Regards Rolf D.

Sorry I am not so familiar with this Forum and your Language
the trick with the pc fan ... I saw this one coming; Is this really necessary?

As I wrote in the post above...there is one addon: if the solution was implementet it makes sense to oben the left compartment 2-4 cm

2-4 cm in the left compartment: where can I read this? I'm a bit skeptical: a compressor fridge gives off much less heat than an absorption fridge, so I don't see the point of an extra fan. Don't get me wrong: I don't disapprove of your interventions, I just want to understand: we ordered a coast and if I also have a battery that does not fully charge or have a refrigerator with problems, at least I know what I can do.
Greetings

Hi all,

I have always managed 4 days with fridge on at ca level 5 with no hook-up. Replaced all 3 batteries this year, its 9th summer and will expect the same performance.

We bought a Cali Ocean from new in this January. We went to France in the summer and found the fridge would turn off after about 10 hours when hooked up. The only way to turn it back on was to turn off the mains and then back on again. We could not control the temperature either - it was getting too cold. Then when driving, we had trouble turning the fridge on. It would be a bit erratic and turn off.

We took the van to Breeze, but they could not replicate the problem, and asked me to film it if it happened again. I did this and they ordered a new fridge. When I took it in again, I managed to talk to a decent technician, who explained that they have had to replace the fridge on quite a few new/newish Oceans. Basically there is a control unit on the side of the fridge (which he showed me). A lot of these are playing up and the easiest way to solve the problem is to replace the complete unit. He showed me a video he took of another ocean where the temp in the fridge dropped to -4.

This might be your problem and not the battery.

BTW, our fridge was replaced last week. Unfortunately, due to the torrential rain, we haven't been able to test it.

We bought a Cali Ocean from new in this January. We went to France in the summer and found the fridge would turn off after about 10 hours when hooked up. The only way to turn it back on was to turn off the mains and then back on again. We could not control the temperature either - it was getting too cold. Then when driving, we had trouble turning the fridge on. It would be a bit erratic and turn off.

We took the van to Breeze, but they could not replicate the problem, and asked me to film it if it happened again. I did this and they ordered a new fridge. When I took it in again, I managed to talk to a decent technician, who explained that they have had to replace the fridge on quite a few new/newish Oceans. Basically there is a control unit on the side of the fridge (which he showed me). A lot of these are playing up and the easiest way to solve the problem is to replace the complete unit. He showed me a video he took of another ocean where the temp in the fridge dropped to -4.

This might be your problem and not the battery.

BTW, our fridge was replaced last week. Unfortunately, due to the torrential rain, we haven't been able to test it.
Breeze replaced my faulty fridge 2 weeks ago and it was getting cold enough for my beers to freeze. I wonder if that video was my ocean it’s a 2019 model. Sounds like you had a very similar fridge problem

So were on day 2 of testing the new batteries with the fridge on lvl 5, and its still showing 12.7v on the panel, so i think the new batteries have solved the issue which isnt a surprise. Im still going to run the fridge for another day or two. I'll be happy with 3 days run time to be honest , anything extra is a bonus. (Thats without starting the engine at all)

just goes to show that they can be changed under warranty but you do need to persistent and armed with the electrical facts of whats normal for healthy batteries.

So were on day 2 of testing the new batteries with the fridge on lvl 5, and its still showing 12.7v on the panel, so i think the new batteries have solved the issue which isnt a surprise. Im still going to run the fridge for another day or two. I'll be happy with 3 days run time to be honest , anything extra is a bonus. (Thats without starting the engine at all)

just goes to show that they can be changed under warranty but you do need to persistent and armed with the electrical facts of whats normal for healthy batteries.
The Dealership knew that and wouldn't have agreed without the OK from VW UK. Well done for persevering.

The Dealership knew that and wouldn't have agreed without the OK from VW UK. Well done for persevering.
Exactly. The service dept actually said it was unsual for VW warranty to tell them to change the batteries but i think they just wanted to save face.

I basically told to keep hold of it until theyd fixed it.

I was fully expecting them to push back and tell me it was a perishable part. But they do not seem to have the capability to find these faults, with what looks like common battery sulphation from misuse.

Moral of the story to anyone else reading this is to stick to your guns and dont let them tell you theres no fault especially where electricals and expensive units such as fridge/heater are involved.

Back