Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery life

Ocean-Devotion

Ocean-Devotion

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Had the T6 Ocean four months. LOVE HER!
Will be away for four nights this weekend without electric hook-up!
Switching engine on won't be an option as parked up in a festival campsite.
Any thoughts on power saving ? Will the battery last?
I'm thinking of turning fridge up pretty high whilst travelling there, then turning it down low for the rest of weekend.Will his help? Any top tips for a relative newbie please?

Had a hire one before I got mine and toured for two months , never hooked up. some days left fridge on for a week or more and just watched the battery indicator in the control panel. If it was lower than 70% , which is hardly ever was I took it for a drive. I think the lights use very very little .

My new one is parked in my garage , the fridge on low , been a week before I remembered and the battery still at 90%, I did turn off the fridge though after I remembered .

Had a hire one before I got mine and toured for two months , never hooked up. some days left fridge on for a week or more and just watched the battery indicator in the control panel. If it was lower than 70% , which is hardly ever was I took it for a drive. I think the lights use very very little .

My new one is parked in my garage , the fridge on low , been a week before I remembered and the battery still at 90%, I did turn off the fridge though after I remembered .
Thanks, I've just plugged her into the mains in the garage, hopefully that will get battery topped right up.

Put some ice packs into the fridge a few hours before you turn it on, then the fridge is just drawing power to keep it cool rather than getting it cool in the first place. Or run the fridge off the garage socket and get it cool before you leave.

Thanks, I've just plugged her into the mains in the garage, hopefully that will get battery topped right up.
Also have the Fridge on while on Mains.

Some Frozen Freezer blocks would also help to lessen the load on the batteries.

Put some ice packs into the fridge a few hours before you turn it on, then the fridge is just drawing power to keep it cool rather than getting it cool in the first place. Or run the fridge off the garage socket and get it cool before you leave.
Thanks for your help, now plugged in to the mains in the garage, fridge on.

What festival are you going to? Quite a lot of people staying in campervan fields tick the engine over for 20 minutes or so in the morning to keep the battery a boost. Not sure how much extra charge it would give you though.

Have an amazing time.

Thank you .
What festival are you going to? Quite a lot of people staying in campervan fields tick the engine over for 20 minutes or so in the morning to keep the battery a boost. Not sure how much extra charge it would give you though.

Have an amazing time.
nkbyou

+1 for what Niborn said. I think you'll comfortably manage 4 days if you follow the various tips above re the fridge, and don't go mad with much else off the batteries.

(I just bought a USB fan for the van, and when I tested it yesterday it draws 0.2 amps on full speed. So with 2 x 72 Ah batteries on board, I could run that fan full blast non-stop for a month!)

Try not to keep opening & closing the fridge lid too, though cleary no point *never* opening it ...
:cheers

Also make up say three or four nights meals in advance (casseroles etc and freeze) then transfer from domestic freezer on morning of leaving. Kill two birds with one stone. :)

Festival bro.

Last edited:
Also make up say three or four nights meals in advance (casseroles etc and freeze) then transfer from domestic freezer on morning of leaving. Kill two birds with one stone. :)
Sounds like the start of a recipe!

You'll be fine, especially with a brand new van. My 5 year old batteries made it through 5 nights at Glastonbury recently, running the fridge on level 3 and charging 3 phones each night.

We had 3 nights without hook up with fridge etc. and the battery still had 70% according to the control panel. You will be fine!!