Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery not charging when on hookup

D

Dan

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
I know this was covered in another thread recently but I'm having trouble with the 240v hookup on my new T6.

When on hookup, there's power to the grounded 240v socket inside the van but there's no charging or hookup icon (the 2 pin plug symbol) in the control unit display. I have switched the Rcd above the gas bottle to on.

I've seen that the battery charger is fuse number 16 (30a) but I'm struggling see how I can take it out to check it without removing something as it's quite tight in there.

I'd be grateful for any help.

Cheers. Dan.

If it's a new vehicle then take it back to the dealers.

I would not fiddle around with what is covered under warranty.

Presumably the leisure batteries are charged from the Engine charging system when the vehicle is running?

I know this was covered in another thread recently but I'm having trouble with the 240v hookup on my new T6.

When on hookup, there's power to the grounded 240v socket inside the van but there's no charging or hookup icon (the 2 pin plug symbol) in the control unit display. I have switched the Rcd above the gas bottle to on.

I've seen that the battery charger is fuse number 16 (30a) but I'm struggling see how I can take it out to check it without removing something as it's quite tight in there.

Cheers. Dan.

One simple thing to check. I had the same problem and others have also. This solved it.
At the back of the Cali, base of the wardrobe, there is a panel. Remove it. Look inside. You will see one of the leisure batteries and above it the charger. There is a BLACK mains plug, like an electric kettle plug, make sure that is well and truly pushed in completely. Re connect to mains and see if your Control Panel is now showing 14+ volts.

One simple thing to check. I had the same problem and others have also. This solved it.
At the back of the Cali, base of the wardrobe, there is a panel. Remove it. Look inside. You will see one of the leisure batteries and above it the charger. There is a BLACK mains plug, like an electric kettle plug, make sure that is well and truly pushed in completely. Re connect to mains and see if your Control Panel is now showing 14+ volts.

Good tip but the convertor could be under the fridge if the Cali is pre 2013 ?

Ok , mea culpa....was not that alert ...
But , this can be helpfull for others...:D

Is the panel held in place by 5 allen key bolts and just over a foot square? (There is a smaller round panel on a step above it which covers one of the water tank access points.)
I've been trying to undo one of the allen keys, it turns but doesn't seem to come loose. Is there a way of getting to the bottom of it to stop whatever it is fixed into, spinning? Simon

The panel in question is in the boot below the wardrobe next to the courtesy light on left hand side. It's got a quarter turn catch, I use a 20p coin.

The panel in question is in the boot below the wardrobe next to the courtesy light on left hand side. It's got a quarter turn catch, I use a 20p coin.
Thanks snowy55. I was taking "under the wardrobe" a bit literally. Found the panel now. Bit of a black hole in my boot and I found all sorts of things. Wiggled the plug & it now seems to be making better contact and charging fine. Many thanks for your help. Simon

Where were you when you had this problem? This may sound like a silly thing to say but I had a similar problem on a Caravan Club site and it came down to a simple case of pilot error.

I had connected the cable to the van and then plugged into the on site supply. I had then switched on the breaker in the rear of the vehicle and then checked the control panel only to find that it wasn't charging. After fiddling with the cable and fittings for about half an hour then changing pitches and retrying, I was informed that once you have plugged the cable into the supply you have to twist it otherwise you get no power.

Being new to this I hadn't realised that they worked like this. No one had explained to us on arrival at the site and there were no labels giving any instructions.

My beach showed as 13.6v when on Hookup earlier today and 13.2.v off, turned off the hookup point and turned back on (without disconnecting) and its now 14.8v.

Is that normal? Does it drop once its full or was something not quite right the first time I hooked it up because I did it out of the correct order?

Mine did that recently as well Matt. I went back to the thread on here recently and found reference to the kettle type plug that goes into the charger, wiggled it a bit to make sure it was firmly in. I think it already was, and then when I turned it on again it was 14.4v. It's been fine ever since. Simon

Cheers. Dan.

Hi Dan,

We have just had the same issue. The solution we found after much checking and searching on these forums was to open the panel below the left hand side of the fridge from the boot area and check the battery recharger connection. When resetting the cable to make sure it was firmly fitted, the problem was resolved. Hope that solves it for you!

Happy camping!

Dave and Ruth

The forum just saved me from unnecessary concern once again, as my van was not showing as on hook up despite plugging and switching on. I searched and found this post - and I just had to push my power plug connection in by at around 2mm to ensure it was firmly seated... works perfect now. My thanks to previous posters and in particular the clear instructions from @WelshGas above, cheers.

Can someone please clarify what is meant by the "kettle type plug"? And where it should be located on a T5 beach.
My T5 beach MY2015 shows 12.0v main battery and 12.5v leisure battery when on hookup, so I think it's not charging. But the 230v socket inside the van has power (and it only has when on hookup), so it must be a bad contact, a fuse or a power switch that is causing this. The automatic fuse in the side left panel is on ON.

A 'kettle plug' is the common name in the UK for an rectangular IEC mains plug. It is so called because we first saw it being used on the electric kettles we use to make our tea with.

It is used extensively on mains powered electrical equipment throughout Europe, with differing molded plugs on the other end of the cable, depending on the country you live in. In the UK we use a standard 13amp square pin plug, in Europe it is usually the high current round plug with 2 round pins and a round earth socket molded onto the other end. Sorry don't know the proper name for that type of mains plug.

This cable will be used on the mains supply into the battery charger and often is not pushed fully into the charger mains socket when the van is delivered from the factory.

This should be spotted on the pre-delivery check, but the supplying garage often don't cover this, unless you go the Centrum, who are the best Cali supplier in Europe, as far as I can see.

Hope that helps

Alan

Thank you. I know the type of connector you describe. Been looking everywhere, can't find it on a T5 Beach. But it seems that perhaps these vehicles never had a battery charger connected to the hookup at all... which would explain a lot.

Glad that helped.

Our van s a SE so I an very familiar with that version of the Cali, but don't know the detail of the Beach wiring. I am sure someone will be along in a while with more knowledge than I have, who can help you.

All the best

Alan

Can't find it there. The 230v socket is there (where the external plug comes in), a circuit breaker, but no charger. I only see wires running in the direction towards the B-pillar 230v socket.
20170211_141144.jpg 20170211_100650.jpg

And here is a small video very hard to film in there... but I tried. Can anyone spot it?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1thBPOfODrsRjJ2Q3MzZFlDUmM

Can't find it there. The 230v socket is there (where the external plug comes in), a circuit breaker, but no charger. I only see wires running in the direction towards the B-pillar 230v socket.
View attachment 19063 View attachment 19064
Maybe it's a UK Specification difference then.
The alternative is to hard wire a Charger in place then, powered from the 230v socket.
But I agree 700€ is a lot for just a simple Mains circuit.

A 'kettle plug' is the common name in the UK for an rectangular IEC mains plug. It is so called because we first saw it being used on the electric kettles we use to make our tea with.

It is used extensively on mains powered electrical equipment throughout Europe, with differing molded plugs on the other end of the cable, depending on the country you live in. In the UK we use a standard 13amp square pin plug, in Europe it is usually the high current round plug with 2 round pins and a round earth socket molded onto the other end. Sorry don't know the proper name for that type of mains plug.
Alan
Sorry but on my 2006 cali i have a european socket, this was original as supplied by VW.
I think it is called a shuko plug and socket

Cheers. Dan.

I had my experience too.

Batteries drained while on hookup.Called the garage forced them to look into it straight away (they offered an appointment in 2 weeks.)

Problem was found charging unit broken, replaced under warranty.

Almost happy with the service.

Really had to push to get a spot straight away, as I was going to Le Mans this weekend.

@WelshGas - you have just saved my holiday with this post. Just finalising arrangements before we set off for Corsica and I discovered that the Leisure battery is not charging on hook-up - aghhhh.

This fixed it. Another black mark for Parkway. The plug was very loose. Clearly not replaced properly since they had the wardrobe out. They are c***.

:thanks