Battery warning

SusiBus

SusiBus

2-pedal power Peppa Pig trike
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
We have just been told that the Cali battery is apparently a "gel" type. If the battery is discharged to below 11.5 volts, it will affect the battery's capability to hold a full charge in the future and may need replacing.
We managed to completely flatten our battery on our first trip away in the Cali through prolonged use of the electric door and subsequently suffered a succession of flat batteries. We later learned that if parked up without hook up, it is best to switch the electric door off and just pull it to manually (at least this stops the annoying bleeping noise). This was investigated by VW dealers but the battery was always pronounced as OK when obviously this was not the case because it had to be replaced. The replacement was a Bosch lead acid one which apparently is better than the original VW fit.

I am not sure if lead acid batteries are proper replacements due to certain dangers and limits to use them in the vehicle interior. I would recommend to check this issue, maybe it is just a false alarm.

I think there are some mixed messages here.

The leisure batteries which power the roof, fridge, lights, inverter are the gel batteries.

The engine battery which starts the engine and powers the sliding door will be a standard car battery.

There are two leisure batteries in the van (rear cupboard and under the passenger seat) - as they are in the van they should only be replaced with like for like batteries. The under the bonnet one can be any old car battery providing it has the correct rating. I assume there are multiple types of car battery and multiple manufacturers, some may be better than others.

I am not sure if lead acid batteries are proper replacements due to certain dangers and limits to use them in the vehicle interior. I would recommend to check this issue, maybe it is just a false alarm.

I think you are correct, isn't something to do with the gases possibly given off when charging

John

Standard Lead Acid batteries MUST be vented when being charged as they give off Hydrogen which is highly explosive and lighter than air.

I thought the leisure batteries in the Cali were AGM, rather then gel type. Although not quite so critical, these still need venting in case of an overcharge situation. Indeed there is a small tube attached to each of the batteries that vents to the underside of the van.

Probably not that relevant since, as teeboy stated, the battery in question that powers the electric door is the engine battery. This is probably also AGM but may be just a standard lead-acid design.

Agree with the above.

Lead/acid in a habitation unit that can be denied a free flowing venting passage of air to the outside are a BIG accident waiting to happen.

I understood them to be Gel but if AGM then yes, they would need a venting pipe. However I thought Gel also needed to be vented.

Last edited:
I can confirm that there is a vent pipe on the battery under the passenger seat.

I can't confirm what type of battery it is.

Lead Acid Batteries can be liquid acid or formed into a gel electrolyte. The chemistry remains the same just the construction of the electrolyte changes

The engine battery is usually the liquid acid type as they will cope with the short sharp drain produced when you start the van better.

The leisure batteries are deep cycle version and usually have a gel electrolyte, won't spill, and can cope with long slow discharges better.

Both types must be kept fully charged to maintain a long life.

Alan

This is the original battery under the passenger seat on my beach
9077365e607650dafcb6e02e3ba78619.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back